Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
is there a seat cowl for the gt,and if not would a sport classics fit?
No. and you can't really fit a S1K seat on the GT, because I think the way the seat connects with the tank is different on both bikes.

I think I saw that Nimi made some sort of adjustment to fit a S1K seat on his GT, tho... search for it, there's a pic.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No a seat cowl option for the GT does not exist. However, there are several some members here who have been able to fabricate a cowl option for the GT.

As mentioned above Nimi used GT seat pan and had an independent fabricate make a one off monoposto seat.

There are some here who purchased a Sport seat with cowl and filled in the space between the tank and the seat. The Sport seat or monoposto seat does fit the GT's however, like mentioned above you will be left with a 2.5" space between the seat and tank since the GT tanks are shorter than the the SC's

There is also the option of just buying the cowl cover and making it fit the back of the GT seat; thats the route I am trying. I purchased a cowl from a fiberglass faring manufacturer that makes copies of parts from other bikes. I will pretty much just bolt it to my GT seat via the screws from the seat strap and make a filler pad to fill the empty space above the cowl.

I will post pics if I ever get around to doing it.:think:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
GT pan, S1K cowl, custom upholstery, paint and fabrication. $900.
looks nice, Nimi. But that's a steep price tag.

kind of random question that I've never seen asked on this site, and not directly pointed at you, Nimi, but I've seen quite a few instances of GTs that are modded to end up looking pretty damn close to a S1K biposto... (clip-ons, cowl, wheels, sometimes tank...) As a matter of fact, wasn't Ciccio's bike a GT and now it looks JUST like a sport?

I'm genuinely curious as to why you guys didn't get an S1K to begin with... is it the shape of the tank? the grey/green color?

don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. I think your GT looks badass, Nimi. Just seems like a lot of effort to end up close to something you could have gotten from the get-go. No?

just curious...

·
Registered
300 Posts
looks nice, Nimi. But that's a steep price tag.

kind of random question that I've never seen asked on this site, and not directly pointed at you, Nimi, but I've seen quite a few instances of GTs that are modded to end up looking pretty damn close to a S1K biposto... (clip-ons, cowl, wheels, sometimes tank...) As a matter of fact, wasn't Ciccio's bike a GT and now it looks JUST like a sport?

I'm genuinely curious as to why you guys didn't get an S1K to begin with... is it the shape of the tank? the grey/green color?

don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. I think your GT looks badass, Nimi. Just seems like a lot of effort to end up close to something you could have gotten from the get-go. No?

just curious...
Speaking for myself only as a GT owner. I should have gotten a Sport instead of the GT, but then I would probably be trying to make it more comfy.:D
I am not that tall and the long reach to the bars would get old real fast for me.

I just want a happy medium between them both.

I am going to do most of the mods you mentioned: Clip-Ons or cafe bars, Cowl, and probably rear sets of some sort.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
For me, when I put a deposit on a GT, sight unseen, the only other options were the '06 Sport and Paul Smart, both mono seat bikes. Since I planned on picking up lot's o' chicks, I had to have the GT. :) Plus I liked the tank shape, side panels, and standard mount bars. Also, the cost of entry was a couple thousand less, which bought the Termi kit. If the biposto Spot was out I would have most likely got that instead because I love the removable cowl. I'm slowly making the GT better fit the type of riding I do, and will probably to switch it to a mono seat one day. Strange how things work out sometimes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The tank was the main reason, and back then, it was the only dual-shock and exhausts on both sides. It took me about a year to figure out all I wanted it to be, which now looks a lot more like a Sport. The only thing I wish I had was the dry clutch, so yes, if I were starting over, I'd get an 06 sport, make a custom aluminum GT tank (a little narrower and longer) and paint it grey.

Anyone with an 06 Sport wants to swap engines?

·
Registered
238 Posts
is there a seat cowl for the gt,and if not would a sport classics fit?
BING BONG!

I want the 2 seat thing for bitches
but next mod is zards and mono swingarm yaeh!

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so as I see it chuckatlarge hat a GT with a cowl,what changes were made to do this?I really like the look of the sport tank,will that fit a GT than Ill need a sport seat too.Im trying not to be to old for the GT ,unfortunately the calender dont agree,but hey it aint no harley.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The GT requires the longer of a GT seat pan, and the Sport Tank Requires the shorter Sport seat pan. You can put a Sport seat on a GT tank and fill the gap, but a GT seat will not fit a Sport tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do any UK GT1000 riders know who, if anybody here is making reproduction seat cowls which can be made to fit over the standard seat? I know it's not difficult to do, but if you haven't got an original to hand from which to take a mould (like me), you're stuffed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
so as I see it chuckatlarge hat a GT with a cowl,what changes were made to do this?I really like the look of the sport tank,will that fit a GT than Ill need a sport seat too.Im trying not to be to old for the GT ,unfortunately the calender dont agree,but hey it aint no harley.
take off seat strap, make 2 90 degree brackets, attach them to seat strap bolts in seat base, and to lugs already on cowl,, you will find the cowl sits a couple of inches back on the seat but! this is a good thing more room

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
or just buy one from flexi glass, being its glass it will be easier to fit.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts