Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering picking one up. yes, that's the last thing I need. but, .....

anyone have experience with such machinery?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,201 Posts
At least as desirable as 99% of the new bikes on the market. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. I think so, anyway.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I had the Benelli 125 Sears sold. Great bike, not fast, but solid as a rock. I don’t remember ever spending a penny on it, just rode the crap out of it. I always admired the Mojave as I walked through the store, great styling. Like a Rickman.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the Benelli 125 Sears sold. Great bike, not fast, but solid as a rock. I don’t remember ever spending a penny on it, just rode the crap out of it. I always admired the Mojave as I walked through the store, great styling. Like a Rickman.
Those were were sold by Montgomery Wards under the "Riverside" name. I have two of the 250s (not the Mojave model).

·
Official Retired Person
7,180 Posts
High school buddy of mine had one. Wasn't a real exciting machine but I recall he was the only one in our group that never seemed to have trouble with his motorcycle!

Though that was a long time ago and I might not remember much from then!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No compression (known before purchase). I could see the piston move (and it spins freely). Rocker cover was loose and I could also see the rockers moving. Took the cover and head off just now. Everything looks good. Guessing either gummed/stuck rings (bore is perfect) or they're in a hundred pieces. I'll pull the cylinder in a day or two to look deeper.

Magneto puts out good spark (part of the reason I made the deal). Carb outwardly looks in good shape. The choke was on but, the little lever is missing. Maybe that's how it ended up 'dead'? They didn't know it was in permanent flood condition? Forks are straight and move smoothly. Tank is actually pretty clean inside. Tires/tubes hold air (original but, badly dry rotted). Exhaust is amazing.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't think to take a 'before' pic. This is after 5 minutes with an old toothbrush and brake cleaner. Trying (failing currently) to find a head gasket source. Might have to make one from annealed copper.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,045 Posts
Maybe half a 998... I mean you really only want one cylinder so a 499 :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Didn't think to take a 'before' pic. This is after 5 minutes with an old toothbrush and brake cleaner. Trying (failing currently) to find a head gasket source. Might have to make one from annealed copper.
Years ago, I found a company (in LA, I think) that would custom make one-off head gaskets from a drawing or traced pattern. I needed one for a Moretti (automobile) that I was working on at the tme. Dunno if they are still around, and can't remember the company's name, either. D*mn CRS disease

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have found a couple of places that make custom copper head (and base) gaskets. One sells on ebay. I've already emailed them all asking if they'll make one/some if I send them the original if they don't already have the pattern. Waiting for replies.

In the mean time, I have the carb stripped down except for the atomizer. It's being stubborn. Of course, that is the one item that's NLA according to all my usual Dell'Orto sources so, I might run the body through the ultrasonic with it still in. A can of good carb cleaner might really be all that's required, it's that clean.

While I was typing this, ebay seller replied. I've given him some specs. He already makes ones for the 124 model. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
complete gasket kit sourced and ordered.

now searching for the correct plug. the one that's in it is at least 10 mm too short. electrode is living in a 'cave' as it sits.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was dissatisfied with plug choices so, I ordered a tap the fully thread the plug hole to allow for a 1" reach plug. I have already determined that this will work properly (and left me wondering why it wasn't so from new).

Gasket set still en route.

I need to drain whatever 'oil' is in it. I plan on dumping a couple bottles of Marvel in the sump and kick it over a few thousand time to help clean out the bottom end. Drain and fill plugs look untouched since the factory installed them. Nice since, like all old machines, they're usually butchered after 50 years.

Disassembled the head and cleaned up the ports, seats, and valves. All essentially perfect. I'll do a light lap job and call it done. No valve stem seals. I'd like to install some but, as much as it will ever get used, should I bother? Probably not.

Really wish the gasket kit would show up. The longer the wait, the more shit will come apart, and ......

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Tap arrived the other day and I got to looking at the plug conundrum again. I lost the pics I took of the original hole. Really wish I had it for show and tell now.

Here are two pics of the fully-enlarged/tapped hole with the standard 3/4" reach plug. As you can see, it's way down there.

How's it supposed to ignite the charge hiding in a cave? But, it's current state is nothing compared to how it was originally. Obviously, the depth is unchanged but, the shrouding was far far worse.

Pics with longer plugs (22 mm and 26 mm) coming soon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts