Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to arrange a group "service" buy for the Caswell Tank seal for the Sport Classic.

I have found a Experienced professional Tech that has done numerous tanks and will guarantee his work.

I will go in to the details and pricing but wanted to see how many would consider having this done.

I realize other places are doing this type of service so please refrain from posting about them out of respect to this service I am offering and working hard on.
As I would respect not stepping on the toes of other offerings.

So, please let me know who would be interested.
I will need at least 5 tanks to get this going.

Thank you

JC

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That's great, JC. I have a lot of experience with sealing metal tanks - POR, Red-Kote, and (ick) Kreem, but I've never done nor even been around anyone who has done plastic tanks, so I've been very curious what products are successful. Certainly there's no reason to think that a product will work on our plastic tanks just because it's been proven on metal ones.

It's great that you've found someone who has some proven success coating these tanks.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I've got the extended warranty, though 2013. I'm good as far as Ducati continuing to supply me with tanks.

I'm more curious to wait and see if this works (as well as finish the AL tank). But I think it's a great idea.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The product is Caswell. They have done the research.
my installer has done CF tanks, FRP tanks, Plastci, aluminum,
BSA, Triumph etc etc. The list is long.

If you know what you are doing then you should be able to do it.
I have a source for resale so I think I can get a discount for those that DIY
A group sale for the kit for the DIY-ers
The importance is Clean surface, clean work area, and clean tank
wash rinse
wash rinse
and
It helps if its warm.

MORE info coming so please stand by

JC

That's great, JC. I have a lot of experience with sealing metal tanks - POR, Red-Kote, and (ick) Kreem, but I've never done nor even been around anyone who has done plastic tanks, so I've been very curious what products are successful. Certainly there's no reason to think that a product will work on our plastic tanks just because it's been proven on metal ones.

It's great that you've found someone who has some proven success coating these tanks.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am getting the impression that tring to get the thrid tank is the hardest.
If the tank is spreading they want to sell you a shim kit and makes it hard.
If thetank has bubbles I've seen guys get the run around.
So
I will ask for another tank and tell them I will have it coated and they can live and let live.
If I really need to get another tank after the sealer is in
I'll just crack the tank with a hammer and let insurance pay for it :rolleyes:
Just kidding.
This Caswell stuff works if done properly.
JC

I've got the extended warranty, though 2013. I'm good as far as Ducati continuing to supply me with tanks.

I'm more curious to wait and see if this works (as well as finish the AL tank). But I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's sad that Ducati won't come out and say "If you seal it with Caswell then we'll still warranty it, but you seal it at your expense". I'd do it in a heartbeat and then Ducati wouldn't have to worry about replacing my tank.

I have a tank signed by Paul Smart, so I'd like to keep it from spreading since they'll take my tank and keep it if they replace it... but if I seal it and it still spreads then I'm out of luck since they won't replace it. .. If someone can get Ducati to give the statement above then I'd be in on this deal.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't agree with you more.
This gives them a customer self inflicted loop hole for Ducati.

I'm willing to do it to save me and my $2200 tank

It's sad that Ducati won't come out and say "If you seal it with Caswell then we'll still warranty it, but you seal it at your expense". I'd do it in a heartbeat and then Ducati wouldn't have to worry about replacing my tank.

I have a tank signed by Paul Smart, so I'd like to keep it from spreading since they'll take my tank and keep it if they replace it... but if I seal it and it still spreads then I'm out of luck since they won't replace it. .. If someone can get Ducati to give the statement above then I'd be in on this deal.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I am getting the impression that tring to get the thrid tank is the hardest.
If the tank is spreading they want to sell you a shim kit and makes it hard.
If thetank has bubbles I've seen guys get the run around.
So
I will ask for another tank and tell them I will have it coated and they can live and let live.
If I really need to get another tank after the sealer is in
I'll just crack the tank with a hammer and let insurance pay for it :rolleyes:
Just kidding.
This Caswell stuff works if done properly.
JC
JC, this is my situation exactly:

Asking for a 3rd tank, have spreading, have bubbles AND deformation, and willing to have PI seal it at my expense...

I should tell PI to tell them that I'll get it coated, maybe that will help.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The NE1 DEAL

I have made arrangements for s group buy on sealing the tank with the Caswell tank seal process.
It will be done by a professional that has done this many many times and he is willing to give us a break with a group price of $160 (not including shipping charges. He will guarantee and stand behind his work too.
His regular price is over $200 to do this job.
With tanks that are painted it is carefully prepped with the approprite material to protect the paint work.
Sealing the tank is a very labor intensive job. I can't emphasize enough the amount of work that goes in to doing this.

Assuming it is a tank off the bike the gas residue and dirt has to be cleaned really well.
A special pre cleaning solution must be used two or three times and rinsed two or three times before the sealant can be installed.
If the tank is not clean it will not work.
I do not know what DNA will do about a sealed tank but word is it voids the warranty. Nevertheless some people have gone ahead and had their tanks sealed to avoid any more hassles.

There is nothing that can be done about preexisting bubbles or deformities on or in the tank. It has been reported that if the tank is removed, vented and hung to dry for a couple of weeks it will shrink back.
Ideally a replacement tank that has not had gas in it is the way to go.
If it had gas in it but it and the tank is in good shape the cleaning process will remove any residue.

Doing this yourself may be possible but I have seen people come in to his shop and ask for him to redo what they did because they did not do it right.
I say leave it to the experienced professionals.

I plan to empty and hang my tank and then having him do the sealing.
I will need to get al least 5 tanks to get this price
Tanks should be sent to me.
I will provide instruction for proper packing.
Once I have the 5 they will all go in at once.

This may take some time to gather 5 or more tanks because some people are waiting for the replacement from Ducati but if we get some momentum up I think it will go fast

JC

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have a new tank on order, they said it will be shipping this week. I might want to get in on this one. I have the SE so it is very hard to get a replacement tank.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A SE tank was sealed earlier this year for the same reason.
as well as a custom painted GT tank with very expensive and unique pinstriping.

I have a new tank on order, they said it will be shipping this week. I might want to get in on this one. I have the SE so it is very hard to get a replacement tank.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
put me on the list as tank #1

i'm in - this is a great deal.

i have an expensive custom paint job that i want to protect and my tank has started to spread - maybe about 3/4", no bubbles/pimples yet...

i'm going to drain it this weekend and hang it up to start the dry/shrink process - hoping like hell that it returns to its original shape!

thanks for setting this up!

geoff

·
Registered
26 Posts
After being essentially being blown off (twice) by our favorite local Ducati dealer about a tank replacement, Del Amo (no affiliation) had a new tank approved and ordered for me.

It was funny. I was in to have a new set of Michelin Power One's installed and one of the techs asked me if my tank was loose. I told him i shimmed it but then pointed out a few tank bubbles. He shot a few digital photos and 5 days later told me DNA approved the replacement.

Anyway, I want to avoid going back to Ducati again. So I'm total up for getting my tank sealed. Please add me to the list.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
tank drained & drying

pulled off the tank yesterday and it's drying out in my garage - it had spread around 3/4" but no lumps/bumps/pimples so i'm hoping it moves back to its original dimesions. i'll test fit it every few days and post up to let folks know how it's doing - as soon as it (hopefully) gets back to normal i'm sending it in to get sealed.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
my tank has been sitting empty and open (no filler cap, no fuel pump) and i'm hoping she'll shrink back to her normal shape.

after one week i took her out to the garage and did a test fit - so far looks like no movement at all. still about 3/4" spread :mad: :mad: :mad:

i'll wait another week and do it again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Honestly, I'd be very surprised if it went back into shape once it's deformed - it's unlike these plastics to do that.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has it been wet and humid?
That might have some affect

Try and keep it in a warm Dry pleace.

JC

my tank has been sitting empty and open (no filler cap, no fuel pump) and i'm hoping she'll shrink back to her normal shape.

after one week i took her out to the garage and did a test fit - so far looks like no movement at all. still about 3/4" spread :mad: :mad: :mad:

i'll wait another week and do it again.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
We just got our bike back with its custom paint scheme and boy, I do not ever want to go through that again. Since DNA does not cover any of the cost of the custom paint, proactively finding a solution to mitigate this problem is most appealing. $160 sounds like a screamin' deal to me (even if it does void the DNA warranty). Does he have a typical urnaround time (2 weeks, 1 month, etc. fully realizing that this is likely based on workload).

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Has it been wet and humid?
That might have some affect

Try and keep it in a warm Dry pleace.

JC
first few days were in my garage (in seattle = wet/humid). rest of week in my basement (warm/dry). i'm gonna keep it in the warm/dry and check again each sunday to see if anything is happening.

lord i hope so...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
JC: just spoke with PI and the sealant they will use is Caswell... fyi.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts