Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy a Ducati and I'm torn between the GT1000/Tourer and the 1000S. The problem comes that my initial six to nine months will be touring across the country. And although I didn't experience it in my test runs I'm told that my back and neck will be killing me on the 1000S on any long ride.

However, when I'm done with that first year I'm sure I'd like the 1000S more. So, is the 1000S comfortable enough to tour on? Or is the riding position going to kill me after 30m? -Pk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you search the threads here you will find lots of discussion on this very issue..... basically it comes down to personal ability to cope with the position. Everyones body is different. Some cannot tolerate it, some can. I did a 240 mile day last weekend, my longest ride in one day for a few years and the first long ride on the SC1000S. A bit tiring but I was fine. No aches the next day. Round town is a different story and commuting is more difficult because it is much harder to turn your head to look behind you and the weight on the bars at low speed makes smooth straight low speed work a lot more difficult.
Depends on how far you want to go in a day. Over 350 or 400 miles would be too much in my mind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Depends on how far you want to go in a day. Over 350 or 400 miles would be too much in my mind.
+1 on this. 300 mile days are no problem if you're honest with yourself about riding an aggressive position sportbike, but when doing 300+ in a day - I pay for it on the next. I absolutely love my SC1000S, but I couldnt see touring on it. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could work with 400 a day if I had to but that certainly makes me think twice. I know a Monster owner who does more than that regularly.. hrmm.

Good brain food on this forum as I search all sorts of keyword tries. Thanks again, -Pk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Bar riser will not work.
There are virtually no options for increasing bar height other than the recent post about cutting the fairing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a change of heart after a few short test ride and lots of reading. I'm opting for the GT 1000 Touring with a couple of mods for this year and two/three years out I'll got for a proper sport as the second Duc. Three main factors in this decision:

- I want to tour a lot more than I originally guessed after I took a look at the locations and maps more closely.

- The riding position on the 1000S really tore my upper-neck up after a while. My forearms and rest of my back were fine though. But my upper-neck can ruin days on end.

- The wife. (Which is actually #3 - #10 but I can't admit that.)

-Pk

·
Registered
322 Posts
3-4 weeks ago.

I bought a Demo 07 classic the bike sold as new with the Ducati tall bars. When I left the dealer. I had them through the ducati sheild in my truck also. What I noticed with the more up right ducati bars head shake was pretty easy to get. Then a few days later I installed the ducati shield. Two days of riding the duc shield made head shake pretty bad. Also the instructions say do not take over 130 km = 80 mph and they are right. I cracked the shield on both top mounting bolts. I ordered a steering stablizer before I noticed the cracks. I ended up taking the shield off and steering got better. That next saturday I put the stock bars back on the bike Wow really no head shake at all. A few days later I installed the stock brakes line's and throttle cables back on the bike. I now have the stabilizer installed but don't really need it....................It helps. But the bike stock goes good........Now just need to fix the suspension. The buffeting with the duc shield is terrible to me sad. You have to figure what you want. I have a roadstar for cruising............And now this gt for some corners........not touring........Although I will travel. I road 270 miles saturday. 312miles sunday. I had to walk my knee's and butt bones out after the ride. LOL 30 minutes I was as good as new again. 48 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You don't need to cut the fairing to install risers on the S. I have DP risers on mine with inboard and lower Rizoma reservoirs and have gained about 2" more rise than the stock clip ons with the spacers removed. Over Christmas I did a 1200km round trip on my bike without any issues, regular stops though is the key to any long trip on a sports bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You don't need to cut the fairing to install risers on the S.
I have to agree with JC sport. I added the Risers on my S and fabricated brackets to move the reservoirs in. Then I increased the length of brake line to the reservoirs to make it fit. It really makes a big difference, feels much better.

I did trim the inside of the fairing a little but it is almost not noticeable, nothing like the noted recent posting on cutting the fairing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two days of riding the duc shield made head shake pretty bad. Also the instructions say do not take over 130 km = 80 mph and they are right. I cracked the shield on both top mounting bolts. I ordered a steering stablizer before I noticed the cracks. I ended up taking the shield off and steering got better.
The Duc shield cracks at 80mph? Seriously? That is the instructed top limit too... bizarre. Looking at how it's mounted I can see how it's not the most aero-friendly piece but cracking?? Ugh. -Pk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Packetknife, my advice is to get the regular Sport 1000 with no fairing then you can switch between clipons and Gt style bars.
My local dealer was telling me the un-faired Sport is no longer available. After a few searches I think he is wrong or trying to sell me what's readily available to him. Thanks for the advice. -Pk

·
Registered
322 Posts
NO man it says top speed 80 mph

I had it over 120............When I got home it was cracked...................But hell I was riding with a zx12 and that thing I think runs over 120 in 2nd gear a buddy of mine. So unless your going to really tour and never run with the boys....................the stock ducati shield will work. But for getting it on a guy needs to buy something else. I have a smaller after market shield on order now. The Duc sheild is thick and made well just can't handle the high speed stuff. If I want to tour I'll take the roadstar.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My local dealer was telling me the un-faired Sport is no longer available. After a few searches I think he is wrong or trying to sell me what's readily available to him. Thanks for the advice. -Pk
Packetknife - your dealer is correct, the Sport 1000 was dropped for '09, leaving just the GT, GT touring, and the 1000s. To me, the ergos on the Sport feel closer to the 1000s than the GT, so I'm not sure the Sport would work much better for you.

Anyway, if you go with the GT touring for the short term - and this sounds like the really sensible thing to do IMO - remember when your done touring there are plenty of mods to give your GT to a more Sport-like look and feel. Lots of guys here have done just that with some awesome looking results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts