Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to remove my rear fender for the first time and it turns out one of the threads on one of the screws is stripped. I guess whoever put the rear fender back on last time stripped the thread. All it does is turn (in an ovular sort of motion). Anyone know of a way I can get the screw out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
What is it screwed into? A threaded plate, rubber gromet, nylon lock nut .....? Can you get a wrench or vise grips on the backside of the bolt?

You could try to slide the blade of a knife under the bolt head and lift while unscrewing the bolt. That may engage the threads.

Or chisel the bolt head off and remove the fender. Then fix the damaged threads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A threaded plate I suppose. The fender is screwed into part of the swingarm. I tried the chisel method with no luck. I guess I'll just have to cut the damn thing off. But then what?

Frustrating as hell. Maybe I'll just go ahead and start drinking.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
forget about that little screw and put the others
back in, why do you need to get off that fucking
rear hugger anyway.

:cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh, I put them back in...I wanted to get to the rear shock, but maybe I should just remove the swingarm completely (I'm learning as I go here).

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
there is no need to get the hugger off, to un-bolt
the rear shock.
you just need to lift the center of the bike - how
ever you do it, strap it to the ceiling, get a center
lift, whatever - and get the shock out with the
two srews it is attached with.
no drama at all, no work on either the rear wheel
or swingarm needed.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you do eventually need to remove that bolt first try to unscrew it with some pressure applied under the head or the fender if there is room.Most likely what has happened is the threaded portion in the swingarm has broken loose in the hole.It is what is known as a rivnut and it is like a pop rivet in that it expands and wedges itself in the hole in the arm. the center is threaded to take the 6x1.0 bolt to secure the fender.They take a special tool to install correctly and are used in sheet metal shops alot. If the bolt won't unscrew you will may suceed in pulling the insert out of the swingarm as you pry it up.If not you will have to chisel or grind the head off and maybe punch the rivnut out into the swingarm and hope the hole isn't too big to take a replacement.Or you could leave it alone and worry about it when you really need to remove the fender.

·
Registered
157 Posts
it is a threaded insert like wdietz described, it is not a good design as i had 2 of my bolts holding the hugger spinning in the holes. I wedged something under the head of the screw while unscrewing but it is still a pain in the ass especially if you dont want to damage your swingarm or the hugger, I did a little of both, one of the holes in the hugger eventually was torn out but i didnt mind that much since i was cutting the hugger down and removed the damage part.

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
OT. This thread keeps catching my eye in hope for some NSFW content. Sheez, change that title. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts