Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, during oil change we found this 3mm screw stuck to the oil plug on our 2002 748s.
It is about 7.5mm long, and has a t10 torx head. I've searched the parts book trying to identify possible source, and see nothing. Of course it could be from an exterior source.
We are 3rd or 4th owners, and bike has 22k miles, runs and shifts perfectly.
20210718_190326.jpg Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow! On a side note, did you check the rockers? Looks like some are flaking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's crazy. Seems like quite a corse thread, like you say, more a screw than a bolt. If I'm correct there, then unlikely they would use a screw like that inside the engine.

OTOH, also seems unlikely to me, that someone would unknowingly pick that up off the tray or wherever and install it without noticing that as they went to install it!

Lastly, I don't think Ducati uses a lot of torx fasteners.

I guess if everything works normally, then no harm, no foul?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Or could be some smartass like me---Put that screw on the drain plug when reinstalling it ---knowing I was selling the motorcycle to make the new owner go ---WTF lol--It's stuck to the drain plug where it can go nowhere

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Also looks self tapping. I would say it's not a part of the engine (or the bike)

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
That is either the one I lost when I changed the door closer on the storm door, or the one I couldn’t find after cleaning dog hair out of the rug shampooer. Either way, you can have it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have no idea where a screw like that would come from BUT thats alot of magnetic scrap metal & rather large I will say stuck to your plug & screen that's where I'd be scratching my ass figuring out.

I'd cut the oil filter open just to see how much gray death mud it has stuck to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’d take the pic and screw to a Ducati dealer. Surely a tech would know if it was an internal fastener. It could just be one of those flukes where the drain plug was put in the same area as this torx headed screw and it attached itself to the magnet. Then, the person doing the oil change didn’t notice and installed the plug with the screw stuck to the magnet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Check the throttle bodies, butterfly screws look exactly like that.....just a little shorter! 🙈🙈🙈

·
Registered
588 Posts
It could just be one of those flukes where the drain plug was put in the same area as this torx headed screw and it attached itself to the magnet. Then, the person doing the oil change didn’t notice and installed the plug with the screw stuck to the magnet.
Wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly what happened. Could be a number of ways it ended up stuck to the magentic drain plug. It could have been lodged in a funnel that was used during oil change, then made it's way into the engine? Maybe a tech thought he had a booger and sneezed out a torx screw into the crankcase...? 🤷‍♂️

Agree that the screw is most likely a "stray" from outside engine.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Check the throttle bodies, butterfly screws look exactly like that.....just a little shorter! 🙈🙈🙈
Impressive. I went over the engine in my head and didn't consider the TBs. I forgot all about those. The ends look a little different too.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Nope, it's not going to pass through the top end.. Just where it is from on the bike was my thought. My guess is the cylinders have been off at some point in their life.

I had a piston ring in my crank case of my 748. Turned out the PO had lost a belt. The ring dropped during the top end rebuild.

There are but 2 places it could enter the sump with the top end assembled.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Impressive. I went over the engine in my head and didn't consider the TBs. I forgot all about those. The ends look a little different too.
The ends are a star fit rather than hex fit
I believe the are some other tb screws that look
Similar to what you have found!
How it got in the engine I’m not going to
speculate
But for sure a tb screw 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello to all, and thanks for the insights. After some more googling, I found mention of a crank breather incident. Some photos found showed torx head screws holding a reed stopper plate. We pulled our breather (which may be aftermarket) and found the internals were disassembled. Our screw on the drain plug came from the breather. It is the oddest thing, as the other screw was in its proper hole, although not passing through the reed or stopper plate?? I suppose the random bouncing around of loose pieces resulted in this outcome. See photo. I am going to source some new bolts and use nuts and red loctite and reassemble. Some relief as mystery solved. View attachment 1012896

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Good work finding that.

t_bare

Reactions: DarrellF
1 - 20 of 24 Posts