Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
scrambler motor into 1994 600ss

Can a scrambler owner please measure the distance between the 2 top motor mount points as per the attached diagram .
I was looking for a 696 or 796 also but a scrambler has come up so just need that measurement.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can confirm this: mounting points are exactly identical, however rear engine case mounting point (front the riders left) needs to be machined off by a few millimetres.

How do I know? Fitted a 796 engine to a scrambler frame.

I can post pics of this in this thread if the thread is still alive.

Can a scrambler owner please measure the distance between the 2 top motor mount points as per the attached diagram .
I was looking for a 696 or 796 also but a scrambler has come up so just need that measurement.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can confirm this: mounting points are exactly identical, however rear engine case mounting point (front the riders left) needs to be machined off by a few millimetres.

How do I know? Fitted a 796 engine to a scrambler frame.

I can post pics of this in this thread if the thread is still alive.
Thanks for this information. I did not end up buying the scrambler which was an insurance wreck as it was interstate and I could not physical measure everything up.I would prefer a 696 engine but 796 or scrambler would be ok. Will keep looking for a wreck as I will be using everything not just the motor.
The goal is to have the old school look of the 600ss with the virtues of modern full injection brakes and suspension and a little more power.I don't need a lot more power as the ever tightening laws here make my bigger bikes seem pointless these days and flogging the little 600 is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
i have a 659 motor and a monster frame, just haven't got to fitting the frame over the motor yet. i don't know if i tried putting the ss frame over the 659 when it was just a frame, forget now. i'm fully intending (today anyway, shit will all have changed tomorrow) for the 659 to end up in the monster frame.

the 600ss engine is spaced to the left anyway, as the 900 has wider mounts than the small block did before the 98 update. you're welcome to drop in next time you're in the area and get the 900 frame down off the shelf and try it.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a 659 motor and a monster frame, just haven't got to fitting the frame over the motor yet. i don't know if i tried putting the ss frame over the 659 when it was just a frame, forget now. i'm fully intending (today anyway, shit will all have changed tomorrow) for the 659 to end up in the monster frame.

the 600ss engine is spaced to the left anyway, as the 900 has wider mounts than the small block did before the 98 update. you're welcome to drop in next time you're in the area and get the 900 frame down off the shelf and try it.
Thanks for the offer and info.I have a Pantah frame that will get all the old running gear from the 600ss just because it's lying around doing nothing and it will create another bike for bugga all.
I know ducati don't change much in 2Vs but was unsure about the new scrambler engine.(Not now)
I will still use the 600ss as my commuter until I score a stat from manhiem.
Not in a hurry but pretty keen to get it done as the 600ss suffers from carb icing and sick of getting home on a 300ss single sub 8 degrees!
Are you in melbourne?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
king st oakleigh. you know it.
I do indeed Mr Belter.

Either you don't mind going very slow or there are ways of waking a 659 up?
They are a dime a dozen at auction and I have just passed them by waiting for a low k 696/796.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
only difference between 659 and 696 is crank and pistons. 796 has different cases, not sure why. everything else is the same except crank and pistons - shorter stroke needs longer pistons. with a 900 crank they'd be 827cc pretty easy, not sure if you could go to a 1000 crank or not, but 900 should be dead easy. i'd split it to reduce the preload on the crank before fitting it anyway, and i was thinking of having a couple of gears made to raise 6th and shorten 2nd, making the between gear gaps better. not sure if that's possible yet.

and i like slow. my brain doesn't work so fast these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts