Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This is my first Ducati and I'm trying to learn my way around the bike. I figured I'd buy an Icon, but a used FT came up fairly close by so there I went. I'm not much on the matte tank though, so hope to have it painted eventually. Everybody reports a nightmare trying to disconnect the fuel lines, and cautions against breaking the plastic elbow. I reckon the connectors are terribly fiddly, and especially difficult to reconnect properly. Any of you tackled this yet? Any tips at all? No dealer less than 2 hours away, and we've always done our own maintenance and hope to do so with this bike, too. I've got a husband and good buddies ready to help me, if we just had a little know-how. Thanks.

Sarah

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Folks,

This is my first Ducati and I'm trying to learn my way around the bike. I figured I'd buy an Icon, but a used FT came up fairly close by so there I went. I'm not much on the matte tank though, so hope to have it painted eventually. Everybody reports a nightmare trying to disconnect the fuel lines, and cautions against breaking the plastic elbow. I reckon the connectors are terribly fiddly, and especially difficult to reconnect properly. Any of you tackled this yet? Any tips at all? No dealer less than 2 hours away, and we've always done our own maintenance and hope to do so with this bike, too. I've got a husband and good buddies ready to help me, if we just had a little know-how. Thanks.

Sarah
I have not pulled the tank yet. Call your dealer and see if they have stainless steel fittings to replace the crappy plastic ones. I have done this on other Italian bikes. This will give long term peace of mine.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Probably the same quick disconnects they use on most of their bikes, have to be gentle and not break them when removing, then careful inserting them again. If it leaks, sometimes have to replace o-ring. Metal one's fix all that.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The plastic fittings have an oblong "ring" around them. The narrow part has ridges that grip the injection plate and hold them on. You release it by squeezing on the "long" ends and forcing the ring to deform and release from the mount. Your bike is new, it should have flexibility in the plastic and work just fine. Be sure you insert straight into the mount when reassembling or you can damage the o-ring.

After your bike ages some, the plastic will harden and become less flexible. Just consider the connectors a wear item and replace every few years. I had one let go while riding, and dump raw gas straight onto the hot rear header... not good, plus it made the rear tire damn slippery. No fire though, I was lucky.

Both JCPakbike and Motowheels sell a plug and play metal quick release system that replaces your stock base plate/connector. More long-term security.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I tried everything and just removed the fuel pump with it:smile2:, you need a tool to get them to disconnect without breaking it, it's not like on the older tanks....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everybody for posting up. Shift-Tech, I was thinking I'd read the Scrambler's connectors are a whole new ballgame, thanks for the confirmation.

And thank you Moto, that's good news for sure. I'd checked out the baseplates on your website but noticed no mention of the Scrambler. I'll just sit tight for now, got plenty to do in the meantime.

Thanks again everybody!

Sarah

·
Registered
92 Posts
You nearly need two people, one to hold the tank and the other to reach up under the tank and push the round outer ring in toward the tank, when this is done the hose will come out. Very cheap plastic fittings, as is the pump mount. Same connector as used on the 2015 Multi. If you think this is fun wait untill you try to get the rear exhaust header off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Cyclops, and I believe I've heard stories about that rear header, too.

Sarah

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1

Nick is working on a tool for removing the tank.

-M

Yet another plea for help over on the Ducati Scrambler forum. Nudge Nick for us, can you? Thanks again!

Sarah

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Does you haves a manual?
Get one and don't mess up what is already OK.
I tend to let other brave souls try stuff out first and see what perils they happen upon.

What's the price of a new already painted tank?
Obscene?
Having spares around is handy if you never use them.

Enjoy the bike, one can always find things that you want to change ,
How fast do you want to spend???
One must take into account the price of beer involved with the man hours involved with any upgrades...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump, just want to make sure Nick doesn't forget us, moto.

MTScott-- I'm not in a rush, I just like to plan ahead.

Sarah

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Bump, just want to make sure Nick doesn't forget us, moto.

MTScott-- I'm not in a rush, I just like to plan ahead.

Sarah
Contact [email protected] to ask him why the kit is not on the website...:smile2:

We received a batch of aluminum fuel line plugs for the lines to make a complete kit. The first generation of the removal tool will be plastic to keep the price down. We've used it a dozen times with no problems.

If there is a demand for the removal tool in aluminum ( at a much higher price), we will make a run of them in aluminum.

-M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts