Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lance hates to clean and oil chains. It's messy work. So Lola wanted a Scottoiler.

And what Lola wants, Lola gets!

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a Scottoiler, but I dont understand where and how to fill it.

Please tell me before I break it.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Labrador-Lance said:
Lance hates to clean and oil chains. It's messy work. So Lola wanted a Scottoiler.

And what Lola wants, Lola gets!
Take a couple of zip-ties and circle the swing arm where the Velcro attachment is upstream from the disbursal nipples. This will assure that the line won't fall off. I use ATF in my Scottoiler. I use setting #2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lars said:
I have a Scottoiler, but I dont understand where and how to fill it.

Please tell me before I break it.
There is a rubber plug on the side of the top, with a hose attached to it. You can simply remove the rubber plug and fill the scottoiler through that hole using the tube attached to the filler bottle.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well sorry to disagree. But it is the 21st century. An oiler? on a motorcycle? Just a shot of chain wax once a week (If you do tons of riding) or once a month for most of the gay riders. NO MESS, and good protection of the chain.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
You gotta be kidding ?

Chain Lube in cans , now that is old-style !

Have an SO fitted and with the optional Lube-Tube featured she did 3500 Mls through mainland Europe last summer without the need for a top-up and no chain wear at all...nearly as good as shaft drive !

For short rides I leave the LT off but it only takes a few minutes to refit.
FYG - On an ST4s you can fit the SO & LT the other side as the remote damper gets in the way but its tidy and no need for the big tank under the rear number plate.

A top accessory for high mileage tours.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I wanted one, and since the flexible/snake reseroir wasn't available at the time, I made one. I believe it's in our Halls Of Wisdom area. Nice, small reservoir, and it works well! I use ATF also. Cost me about $20 for the 12VDC solenoid valve. It fit exactly where I wanted it it. And it does a decent job! 28,000 miles from the OEM chain and sprockets

·
Registered
16 Posts
My bike came with a SO fitted, but I found that the cable tie holding the tube and it's guide to the swing arm was so tight, that no oil was getting through!

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
lubricity said:
Well sorry to disagree. But it is the 21st century. An oiler? on a motorcycle? Just a shot of chain wax once a week (If you do tons of riding) or once a month for most of the gay riders. NO MESS, and good protection of the chain.
Yes, but you will wear out your spockets much faster, particularly aluminum.

Tom

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
685 Posts
Stick said:
I wanted one, and since the flexible/snake reseroir wasn't available at the time, I made one. I believe it's in our Halls Of Wisdom area. Nice, small reservoir, and it works well! I use ATF also. Cost me about $20 for the 12VDC solenoid valve. It fit exactly where I wanted it it. And it does a decent job! 28,000 miles from the OEM chain and sprockets
I couldn't find this in the HOW section... I don't suppose you'd have an exact link for it?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Is this a sexual orientation thing?

lubricity said:
Just a shot of chain wax once a week (If you do tons of riding) or once a month for most of the gay riders.
Well, I guess I had no idea what I was stepping into when I mounted a ScottOiler on my ST4S, but it seems to function flawlessly for we heterosexual riders, as well.
I have read some very admirable reviews of the "Pro-Oiler" system also, can't say whether it is "lifestyle-specific"... :rolleyes:

guido in Houston

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
lubricity said:
I just had a long conversation with a Ducati repair shop owner about this subject. He did an extensive (this is his story) study on chain wax. Even photographed a chain in action with a strobe light. The findings according to him. The chain wax works fine as long as you don't ride when cold. If the weather is cold the chain wax caused the o-rings to flex until warm and resulted in premature wear. His recommendation was the Scottoiler using ATF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts