Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Picked up this 1996 SS SP for $2200, 15K miles, hasn't ran in 3 year previous owner never got a chance to ride it, He didn't appear mechanically inclined.

I had a 92 750 SS bought new, back in the day put Flat slides on it Termingnoni spaghetti exhaust (which I regret selling), but I always wanted a 900 SP. I'm a big Ducati fan, just finally came back around. Honda vintage Superbike fan and have a HRC kitted 83 Interceptor, a Superbike setup 79 CB750F SS, and an ST 1300, and this is going to fit nice in the collection.

Carbs were all plugged up and the gas in the tank had crystallized. I remedied all that and she runs like a champ on the IV bottle. I have a fuel pump coming and should have it tomorrow. Checked the belts and they are like new, flushed all the hydraulics and fresh oil. Will work on cosmetics next. Bodywork has a lot of garage rash and needs a good paint buff and correction. Carbon fenders will get a re-coat of clear. Other than that she's sweet.
IMG_0425.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0410.jpeg
IMG_0425.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0425.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0407.jpeg
IMG_0410.jpeg
IMG_0409.jpeg
IMG_0566.jpeg
IMG_0570.jpeg
IMG_0574.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“I see it got a replacement frame and it looks like the later swingarm also. for short money it looks like you did very well. [/QUOTE said:
How can you tell it’s a replacement frame and swing arm? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
if you look at early frames (as yours should have had from the factory) the tank latch bolts went into basically 2 nuts welded to the frame top tubes. later versions starting in 1997 (us) had a long bridge with much more weld such as you have.

The swingarm pivot bolt looks to have a fully encapsulated head, if you cannot see the side of the bolt head (from the front looking rearward) then you have the later style swingarm .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pics of the frame. Can you verify if it’s a newer frame. The swing arm looks like original and not the upgraded one.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Yes that is the replacement frame.

Your swing arm pics do not show the swingarm pivot bolts so take some more , of the bolt head area . Bottom of the swingarm facing up.

Might as well snap some pictures of the cylinder studs as well and we can see if you have the good studs. Chrome/silver studs usually are bad. black coated studs are good. know that there are aftermarket silver studs that are also good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is the replacement frame.

Your swing arm pics do not show the swingarm pivot bolts so take some more , of the bolt head area . Bottom of the swingarm facing up.

Might as well snap some pictures of the cylinder studs as well and we can see if you have the good studs. Chrome/silver studs usually are bad. black coated studs are good. know that there are aftermarket silver studs that are also good.
Thanks for your help, I'll look tomorrow, I recall the head bolts are chrome silver. Which I thought was odd. I'll get some pix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here’s the swing arm pics, looks fully encapsulated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dont forget to pull the brass plugs out of the carbs, so you can get to the mixture screws.
Thanks, I already did that, balanced the carbs with RPM meter and idle drop method and sync gauges. I'm a very seasoned motorcycle mechanic. 48 + years. Since 16 years old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip, I'm an A&P mechanic by trade and that is an aircraft trick as well. Additional safety.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the frame and the wheels should be the two different colours.

eric - did your replacement frames come with those stickers on them, or would they have been ordered separately? our frames didn't have stickers. well, maybe they had the zdm906sc3 one? forget now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts