Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great little piece of information regarding Kevin Schawantz doing a parade lap at Indy on his world championship 1993 RGV500 GP, you know the 280 lb 185HP 2 stroke beast. TC is the right wrist. Anyway, people expect him to do a lap waving to the crowd, but from the sound of it hes going to twist the throttle on show the crowd what that vintage L&M bike sounds like and looks like at speed. Needless to say he was vague about his answer, but he did say you might see yellow flags during his lap.

I would love to see that, I think hearing that 2 stroke scream by at speed would be something to behold. I'm plenty old enough to have gone to the GP back in the day of the 2 strokes, but I wasn't that interested in motorcycle racing at the time. I did go to a couple AMA events in 73 and 74 and I recall the green machine dominated at Laguna. I hope whoever is taping the event shows the lap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I read that. It should be a good show. It will be good to hear a real race bike again. The diesels they are running now just are not in the same league. Ya, they turned the same lap times when introduced but needed double the displacement and way more$ to do it. It was a sad day when the 2 strokes left the big class.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I didn't see the race. Did Schwantz bring out the 2-stroke? That would've been sweet! Like someone lese said, the new bikes may run the same lap times, but it's not the same (damn I sound old!) I miss the 'big-bang' bikes that Doohan and Rainey and the like used to ride. Those were exciting races!

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I was hanging out with them when Hamish fired it up to get it warmed up prior to the lap and got some video of it for the sound. It was very cool.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
man.... i forgot how cool those bikes sounded.... i could almost smell it through my monitor as well....

·
Registered
255 Posts
That video was great. Schwantz still looks good on the bike.
It would be interesting to see how a 500 with modern suspension and tires would do against the 800's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I loved it....it sure doesn't seem like it has been that long since 2-smokes were the norm in GP racing. I feel old now.

·
Registered
688 Posts
He actually did three laps. Very unusual sound. Not nearly loud as the desmo. Actually, Pedrosa's Repsol Honda sounded real good when he was trying to make up time after his crash. He was actually doing some of the fastest lap times. Pedrosa crashed right in front of our stand. He lost it at the corner leading into the main straight and slid onto the grass. A corner marshal helped him pick up the bike. Pedrosa was having trouble picking it up on his own. The marshal pushed him onto the pavement and helped him bump start the Honda back to life. I was surprised that beast could be bump started.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts