Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Looking for some information, i'm currently doing track days on an ex TenKate CBR600RR which i have fully rebuilt, it's nice, but it's no V twin....

I had thoughts of building an Alchemy but the fragility and expense of a bevel has put me off, though the thought of a "classic" style track bike still intrigues me....

I've never fancied the F1 or Pantahs as road bikes, just not my thing but i'm considering buying a TT chassis kit and a donor bike and building a race bike from scratch. This particular project would be new to me but Ducati certainly are not and building bikes isn't either, i've rebuilt said CBR, a 400Cross Husqvarna got a full concours resto and i rescued a mates KTM Superduke a few years ago so i reckon a simple race bike should be a doddle.... (famous last words.....)

Anyway, i have no clue on what makes a TT1 different from a TT2 etc so can someone with the knowledge educate me please?
I'm looking to replicate something like this, not that i'd let Kevin Magee ride mine LOL......

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
SO AWESOME!! I can't wait to see this. I am curious about the answers but I'm excited to see what you build.

For the record, I love a project like this. I have ridden all of my bikes on the track and really gravitated toward the 916 chassis as it just feels the best to me. So I got a 748RS and I loved riding it so much, I ended up adding a 2001 748RS. And then a third 2001 748RS. And now I also have a Pierobon 748RS frame from the Ducati Corse World Supersport team in 2000 that I am thinking of building up. I don't really love the high high hp stuff that much and these mid power type bikes just seem so perfect to me. I think what you're thinking makes perfect sense and I can't wait to see how it goes.

·
Tightly Clenched...
959 Posts
Pretty sure the difference is in engine size, the TT1/TT2 stuff were racing classes. Like anything "classic" Ducati I don't imagine finding a TT1/TT2 frame will be cheap, hell, even getting a production version (F1) is a costly venture these days. I also don't think the bevel engines are necessarily "fragile" (look at the stiff Brooke Henry is doing in WA) but expensive, yes, definitely costly. Be interested to see what you get up to.

Untitled by satansfist, on Flickr

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers,

There are replica TT frames available, i'm not looking to restore a classic, i'm more interested in building a "new" classic race bike.
My plan is to use a replica TT frame with a donor bike, ideally a DS1000 SS and use the engine, wheels, swingarm, triples and front forks.
I'll completely ditch all the electronics and injection and run it on FCR's with as basic a wiring loom as i can build. It looks like i'll have to modify the swingarm as well as add an aftermarket tach and temp gauge, clip ons and rear sets. Replica bodywork, fairing/gauge stays and tanks are freely available as well.

The build in my link, while built by a living legend, (ridden by one too!) doesn't look too difficult to copy, i might even be cheeky and paint it in the same theme but reverse the colours.....

This will all depend on finding the right donor bike, once i have that the rest will be ordered, but nothing will or can happen until i get the right donor bike

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen that, there are others as well.

So the TT1 is based around a 600 Pantah and has a rising rate linkage rear

A TT2 is based around a 750 and has a Cantilever type rear

I'll probably be looking at a TT2 but i'm still researching my options

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Other way round - TTI is 750, which started as the same cantilever rear end as the TT2, but was developed by the factory into quite a weapon until superceded by the 851.

·
Excel Addict
5,133 Posts
Hi guys,
Looking for some information, i'm currently doing track days on an ex TenKate CBR600RR which i have fully rebuilt, it's nice, but it's no V twin....

I had thoughts of building an Alchemy but the fragility and expense of a bevel has put me off, though the thought of a "classic" style track bike still intrigues me....

I've never fancied the F1 or Pantahs as road bikes, just not my thing but i'm considering buying a TT chassis kit and a donor bike and building a race bike from scratch. This particular project would be new to me but Ducati certainly are not and building bikes isn't either, i've rebuilt said CBR, a 400Cross Husqvarna got a full concours resto and i rescued a mates KTM Superduke a few years ago so i reckon a simple race bike should be a doddle.... (famous last words.....)

Anyway, i have no clue on what makes a TT1 different from a TT2 etc so can someone with the knowledge educate me please?
I'm looking to replicate something like this, not that i'd let Kevin Magee ride mine LOL......

How funny to see that quoted and informative.
My mate, Jeff Ware, is bikereview.com.au
I have written some stuff for that web site and precursor hard copy mags that Jeff founded.
Often in my shed to help empty the beer fridge and discuss things about bikes, races, racers, meaning of life or whatever.
Jeff seems to have a photographic memory about races and racers back to the extent he remembers where and when and what happened on lap X back to some way back date and location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SO AWESOME!! I can't wait to see this. I am curious about the answers but I'm excited to see what you build.

For the record, I love a project like this. I have ridden all of my bikes on the track and really gravitated toward the 916 chassis as it just feels the best to me. So I got a 748RS and I loved riding it so much, I ended up adding a 2001 748RS. And then a third 2001 748RS. And now I also have a Pierobon 748RS frame from the Ducati Corse World Supersport team in 2000 that I am thinking of building up. I don't really love the high high hp stuff that much and these mid power type bikes just seem so perfect to me. I think what you're thinking makes perfect sense and I can't wait to see how it goes.
Hi Sherpa23f
do really posses 3 x 748RSs???? The real deal race bike? I've wanted to get my hands on one but a at price of more than $30k a bit out of reach!!
cheers
Clive

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Hi Sherpa23f
do really posses 3 x 748RSs???? The real deal race bike? I've wanted to get my hands on one but a at price of more than $30k a bit out of reach!!
cheers
Clive
Well, yes. Three and a Pierobon frame to maybe build a 4th from parts one day.

I bought two through MotoCorse Performance in Fort Lauderdale and one from a user on here. The frame came with a stash of the Ducati Corse WSS team spares I bought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts