Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've owned my '95 900SS/SP for almost 10 years, and it's been a great bike - mostly reliable, fantastic looking and fun to ride.

Buuut... I've always wanted a superbike. Now I have a chance at a local 848, model year 2008, just over 9,000 miles on the clock, Pearl White colour, looks nice. A few upgrades - DP Termignoni non-carbon slip-on exhaust (sounds great), DP ECU upgrade, mirror extensions, Ducati bike cover.

So, my question is to owners - what's this bike like to ride? For me, this bike would replace my 900SS/SP, and would join a '98 Yamaha R1 in my garage. I don't do track days, and ride around the city and take short (hour or two) rides in the country for pleasure. I take one longer trip (around 1,000 - 1,500 miles) each year with my Dad (I'm turning 45 next year, he'll be 70). This past summer I took the R1 and he took his R1100RS.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Cheers,

d.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
From the standpoint of a 996 owner, I would say that you should go sit on it for a little while to see if the riding position will agree with you. The reach to the bars may be a bit much for a really long road trip - at least on the interstate. Curvy roads will be a revelation, and as such, it probably be your go-to bike for pleasure rides. The 900SS is still a committed riding position bike though, so it might not be quite the stretch for you as someone who's coming directly off a Japanese I-4.

That said, I really enjoy riding my Superbike - even in town, but especially where I can stretch its legs a bit on country roads. It gets pretty hot sitting at stop lights (even with water/Water Wetter). But once I'm free of the constraints of town... Nothing rides, sounds, or looks like a Ducati, as you already know.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the power of the 848 coming off the 900, especially as the tach moves to the upper rev range. It'll never match your R1 though for outright power. Those early R1s were quite torque-y.

Just my thoughts... I hope you get the SB. If you've always wanted one, nothing else will suffice.
Micah

Reactions: dienstuhr

·
Registered
256 Posts
This past summer, I traded my ST3s for a still-brand-new 848, sitting at the dealership with my name on it for nearly six years. I loved my ST3, but I also have my R1200RT and decided I didn't need two "luggage sport tourers". So I finally gave in to my lust for a Superbike and got the 848.

I love it! Yes, it's a more focused riding position, especially the very low clip-on position, than my ST3, but . . . if you can handle a Supersport, and if you are not overly, uhhhhhh, large around the mid-section, you'll adapt quickly to the 848. For reference, I'm age 54, 5'8", and 160-165 lbs. I'm also an avid bicyclist, have been for years. I adapted pretty quickly to the Superbike's riding posture, but it is more severe than my ST or your SS. My wrists and hands do sometimes get numb in under an hour, but once I shake them out everything is fine again. I have no problems whatsoever with the seat or the footpeg position. But believe me, any minor discomfort is worth it -- the 848 is incredible to look at, listen to, and ride! You won't regret it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I say absolutely go for it! I just recently bought a 2013 848 Corse Se, like over a month ago.. So far I put 2,000 miles on it. Town, city, country back roads. I take it to work every other day, which is 75 miles ONE way! I have had zero problems so far. Bike handles pretty darn good. I'm going to get an Ohlins steering damper from Dan Kyle, and have them tune the suspension to my height & weight. I'm 5'6 and 170 lbs. maybe get some Ohlins internals for the Showa forks as well.

Sry I'm rambling but its just a damn cool bike, I can go on and on. Lol

I am prepared to do all the maintenance myself as I'm buying the required tools as needed. Already have the valve shim kit from Mike at EMS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sold my 2009 848 this past summer and went to a 1299s. I remember enjoying the 848 for shorter rides, like an hour or less, but after that it became uncomfortable on my wrists and shoulders. I also wanted to get the steering damper and a new seat but never did. the stock seat was pretty bad. My ape rsv had a better seat. i think if you can adjust the clipons a bit to your wrist comfort, new seat, damper then it will be an improvement.

interestingly enough, the 1299 feels more comfortable and i've managed 2 hour rides with no discomfort on that one. the 848 was a beautiful bike though. good luck with it and i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

p.s. the first mod i made to the 848 was drop a tooth up front. much better feeling :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, i concur....shorter rides are ok. Anything over an hour and you'll start to feel it in your back and your wrist. The bike was designed to be ridden on the track more so than the street.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - I decided "you only live once" so I negotiated a bit better deal with the seller and the bike's being delivered on the 29th of December. Can't wait to go for a ride in four months or so! :wink2:

Cheers and happy New Year to all.

d.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an 05 999 and I have one friend that has a stock 2013 and one that has a heavily modded 2012. to me the seating position is not as extreme as my 999 and is more upright. I still will eat my buddies lunch that has the stock one and the heavily modded one takes my lunch with an evil grin.

less extreme riding position than the earlier bikes and the ability to go from mild to wild is a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats! She looks great! Did you get a chance to go for a ride yet?
Thanks! And no... I imagine the earliest I might be able to get out is April. It's gonna be a long winter here in Winnipeg... :crying:

Cheers

d.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. I know what it's like to wait...and wait and ......wait for the canadian winters to subside. However, your winter is probably longer than mine. I spent some time in wpg this summer and oh man those rodes are brutal! Be careful! Those potholes can wreck a rim not to mention swallow a bike.

Bring your ride out to BC this spring ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations on the new ride. I know what it's like to wait...and wait and ......wait for the canadian winters to subside. However, your winter is probably longer than mine. I spent some time in wpg this summer and oh man those rodes are brutal! Be careful! Those potholes can wreck a rim not to mention swallow a bike.

Bring your ride out to BC this spring ;)
I have to plan the trip for my Dad and me for the summer, so... you never know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats on new ride. Just made the upgrade myself from 95 900SS to 2012 848 EVO. Love the EVO!!! Soooo much more power, easier handling. Harsher ride and more extreme, but not extreme, riding position. Only done about 500 miles on mine as riding season is just getting under way here in Colorado, but can't wait to head for the mountain twisties. Have done a couple of 1hr plus rides and didn't find seat to be particularly uncomfortable. Not as plush as the 900's Sargeant for sure, but not too bad. I'm about the same build as you and don't find the wrist pressure to be much different than on the 900, but have felt it in the neck and shoulders...probably from not riding much for the last several months.

Enjoy. I am and will continue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts