Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I narrowed down the bike I want...I think.

I am in Europe, so, drumroll please !

A red 2001 996S biposto with thick termis but otherwise stock.

Reasoning:

I would like an SPS, but they're too expensive, and I would like a biposto.

SPS cams should give the bike a lopey, hotrod feel.

I like the idea of thick Termis.

2001 should have a steel oil galley plug.

Questions:

Should I wait for a bike with thick termis ? (did every 996S come with thick termis?)
Are thick termis with carbon slip-ons street legal in Germany ? Are there legal and off-road-only versions ?
Is there a reason to get a 2001 over other years ?

I found a couple of reasonable bikes with 12000 miles for around 8000 eur.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
not thin?

the euro spec 2001 996S is the only year they made that model with the sps spec engine. there were other models called 996S from 1999, but they were all usa spec bikes and generally they were sort of an sps with a base engine.

as such, the 2001 euro 996S has a termi 50mm full exhaust from the factory. if it has the oem mufflers fitted (aluminium sleeve, quiet, made by termi) then it is compliant. if it has carbon termi open mufflers fitted, then it is not compliant.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Year sorry, in all the ads I read in dutch it says "Dikke Termignonis", which means and sounds like thick, so I call them "thick termis" in my head now.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
A 996 with or without SPS cams will run just fine with the "thin" Termis. The 45mm system with 45mm or 50mm slip-ons.

If you had the SPS cams with head work, maybe look for the 50mm system. Otherwise spend your money on something else.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Why do you want it to be a biposto? You are not going to like riding it with someone sitting at the back and the person sitting there is sure as h3ll not going to like it either. Keep a superbike as a superbike and for two-up touring, get another bike. :-D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To introduce my nephews, friends, and anyone who wants to go for a spin to exotics motorcycles. It's not a race machine, it's meant for the street.

In europe they're clamping down hard on motorcycles and banning them in some places, so I want to make as many motorcycle fans as I can.

Also if I have to pick someone up from the airport or if I have to go to the garden center and bring some earth home, it would be easier on a biposto.

Why do you want it to be a biposto? You are not going to like riding it with someone sitting at the back and the person sitting there is sure as h3ll not going to like it either. Keep a superbike as a superbike and for two-up touring, get another bike. :-D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lurker breaking cover to say that hanging off a 996S (with Termi slip-ons) is what made me want to learn to ride. Fast forward 7 years, I have my own 848 and the nickname Trackday Barbie...

Of course vtwin isn't wrong. Shortly after I got my own bike, dude quickly returned the 996 to monoposto status ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Conversation appears to be over but I feel the need to clarify: hanging off THE BACK of a 996 is what made me want to ride. And sure, some day I hope to turn a few laps on her.

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
A superbike should be sexy enough to get a passenger of your choice.
A passenger you find that is willing to ride on a superbike often you should consider a keeper.

Many years ago I had a passenger sport tour on the back of my 851, she complained that the seat was uncomfortable so I had to let her in on the motorcyclists secret that underwear is the problem , next stop she eliminated the problem . I still have them both almost 30 years later.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A superbike should be sexy enough to get a passenger of your choice.
A passenger you find that is willing to ride on a superbike often you should consider a keeper.

Many years ago I had a passenger sport tour on the back of my 851, she complained that the seat was uncomfortable so I had to let her in on the motorcyclists secret that underwear is the problem , next stop she eliminated the problem . I still have them both almost 30 years later.
You still have her underwear :oops::oops::oops:???... Dude, that's just creepy......;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Back in the days I owned a 996SPS while I dated a woman who had a 996S, and since we tried switching bikes (kinky!) I guess you could say I rode them both :D True story!

Reactions: vtwin

·
Registered
22 Posts
... but jokes aside. I think the OP still has a couple of questions unanswered:
  • Slipon Termignonis for a 996 is not legal anywhere in Europe
  • A 996 is definitely a race machine
  • 996S had 50mm pipes, but also larger mufflers than the SPS. The large mufflers appeared in 2001 on both the 996 and 996S. Regular 996 still used 45mm headers/pipes.
  • S had steel rods, SPS had Pankl Titanium ones (I still have one "slightly used" on display in my living room ;) )
  • Different ECU
  • Geometry is similar on paper, but the S and SPS I rode were different. Might have been setup/tires. My SPS was raised a bit in the back, 180/55 tire, steep head angle, Metzeler Rennsport SC2. Hers was probably as it left the factory, and on more street-oriented tires.
  • The engines behaved similar-ish. It's a long time ago since I rode them both back to back, but I seem to remember the SPS picking up slightly faster (rods?) and having a more raw feel (old ECU?)

Reactions: vtwin
1 - 16 of 16 Posts