Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

I bought this '98 916 in mid-June and there're random bits that I'm curious about. Hoping you guys can help me understand this bike better.

Ready or not, here goes.

What's this? Charcoal filter? The intact hose seems to go to the fuel tank, but I cannot be sure. Why is the hose cut? Is it supposed to be recirculated into the airbox?

here is the other side of this canister.

I have a set of Forza mufflers. Are these stock headers? Or do I own a full exhaust?

Not sure if it actually helps deflect heat or is it a mere cosmetic mod, but I've seen pics of this piece in carbon fiber, and longer so it's actually an L-shape. Also, the ones I've seen always have 2 holes for bolt. I, obviously, have only 1.

The wire/cable from the connector on this bit goes into the airbox. MAP sensor?

I removed the air filters to see what kind of condition they're in, and was hoping I could do a quick wash and re-install. turns out the foam seems kinda old and is the leading edges are really quite broken down. Any thoughts on replacements?

That's it for now. I'm sure there'll be much more to come. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
577 Posts
The black cylinder is a charcoal canister, there are plenty of threads on how to remove it as it is not really necessary. I can't really tell what exhaust you have but it looks stock, to make sure measure it, stock is 45 mm iirc. The mid pipe will have two bulges right behind the right foot peg can't miss them if you have them?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black cylinder is a charcoal canister, there are plenty of threads on how to remove it as it is not really necessary. I can't really tell what exhaust you have but it looks stock, to make sure measure it, stock is 45 mm iirc. The mid pipe will have two bulges right behind the right foot peg can't miss them if you have them?
thanks, i'll take a look. removing necessary stuff is always fun. just gotta make sure there isn't any funky smell of gas or anything.

there're not bulges in pipes. basically straight all the way to the muffler.

The sixth picture if I'm not mistaken goes on the coolant tank.
hmm.... i'll have to look again later today.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Yeah that sensor should bolt to the right top side of the upper coolant reservoir.

If the header pipes are factory pieces, the manifolds likely are as well. There should be a p/n stamped into the header pipes. Looking at my lower header pipe on the right side just after the manifold I have a factory p/n stamped there. You might need to hit it with some scotch bright to see it. Also, the stock system is about 45mm in diamter. Chances are its prob stock, just slip-ons out back.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Sixth pic is a pressure sensor for ambient pressure. It does fit on top of coolant tank that seems to burst. You maybe have an aftermarket aluminum job that doesnt have fittings for it. I would shit can the canister. By looks that is a stock pipe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup. i have a aluminium coolant tank.

thanks. i'll look at removing the canister. bike is down until the air filters arrive anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So. is the kit from TPO worth it?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
So. is the kit from TPO worth it?
Yes, I think so. You have to look at it like this, parts were expensive when the bike first came out, they stayed expensive because now the bike is somewhat rare. Its a bitch I know but, you really are riding something that is a bit of an oddity. It is unlike alot of the jap bikes which really have so much in common. Hell, one oil filter fits most of them. The duck is something special which most have no idea what they are. When they figure it out they lust for one. Some of us are lucky enough to obtain one. Few are blessed enough to keep one. Cliche? Maybe, but after 23 different bikes I know I'm home and intend on staying there. No one motorcycle has ever spoke to my soul like the duck. Best of luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
removed the charcoal canister over the weekend.

surprisingly, there was not way to undo the strap that holds the canister to the coolant over flow tank. so i sprayed it down with some lube and basically wiggled it out!

some of the hoses were supposed to go to the heads. right? looks like they "holes" in the heads were already blocked off.

also, my bike is supposed to have a power commander on it. how do i tell?

where the heck should this plug that i'm holding be connected to? quite a few random bits that don't seem to be connected to anything.

last one for now.

out the crankcase, into this box and then into the airbox. what is this? just an expansion chamber? do i need this or should i just remove?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
That plug is a test plug, it does not connect to anything. The black container is your crankcase catch can. When there is oil blown from the crank case it goes into that can, and is circulated into the air box (sounds horrible I know). General consensus is to leave it alone bc it plays with the harmony of pressure in your engine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah. that sounds a little rough. thanks. i'll leave it alone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

so cable disappears into a harness and looks like it end up at the ECU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts