Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a go with this app? I have a Bluetooth obd scanner but not used it yet, was wondering if I could adjust the CO2 with it?

John

·
Registered
84 Posts
looks like a little wiring would be required to get a plug for the OBDII scanner, but it might be worthwhile...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have not tried ScanM5x as I have a perfectly nice working computer that I use on my bikes:) I also don't have an android thing.

Looking at the page from ScanM5X it looks like it is very nice software with loads of possibility's.

Diagnostic ECU Marelli

I might have to go and get a android thing after all :(

Jocke.............

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have got just ordered the cable, I also have the USB cable for the laptop, I've not tried either to be honest. If it will adjust the CO2 then that will be ideal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
is that really a plug and play John ? that would be cool...

It is bullshit android and apple are at war here?

Craig
From what I've read Craig, most of the OBDII adapters use bluetooth, which Apple is reluctant to provide the interface for, forcing the guys making Apple-compatible scanners to use wi-fi ( there are a few available ), not quite sure why though... :think:

·
Registered
567 Posts

From what I've read Craig, most of the OBDII adapters use bluetooth, which Apple is reluctant to provide the interface for, forcing the guys making Apple-compatible scanners to use wi-fi ( there are a few available ), not quite sure why though... :think:
This is why.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the bike there is a diagnostic socket under the seat, there is also another socket there, can I use that as a power socket?

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I use the same cable I used with JPDIAG and GuzziDiag. Instead of plugging in a USB cable to my notebook, I plug in the bluetooth device someone here suggested and I can connect with ScanMX5 on my phone.
Whether or not you can adjust your CO level depends on your ECU, my Monster has a 15M ECU and I can adjust CO Trim.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've been using ScanM5X for a several months now with no problems at all. Working from my phone it's far more convenient than JP diag and uses the same Fiat cable but with an ELM327 bluetooth adaptor plugged into it. It will do all the thing JPdiag does and a bit more including data logging. I highly recommend it.
Make sure you install the ScanM5X - All in One app. All the info here

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Derek, I've not had a chance to do it yet as the bike is in bits. I have also bought the Fiat cable!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Crossposting from the SportClassic forum...

I've actually been helping Christian code new features into his app. It is capable of much more than you think. Service reset, TPS reset, function tests, O2 trim, logging, etc. It's really powerful. And it mates well with his PC application ScanST. (See my post in the Tech forum about that.)

Soon to be released for ScanM5X: wireless 32-channel digital wideband AFR datalogging... with only your cellphone. And the datalogs are directly usable in Logworks to calculate corrections (or replay). Also GPS breadcrumb trails replayable in Google Earth. We're still working out the details. Maybe even will support the old 16M ECUs -- I'm still working on prototyping the circuitboard based on his advice.

I'm also working with a company to possibly get a premade harness, bluetooth dongle, verified hardware, etc. Complete plug-and-play, even for bikes without Lambda sensors, and completely street-legal for the ones that are. There's a lot of details to muck up, but I want to keep this post short. See the above post if you want the technical details.

... forcing the guys making Apple-compatible scanners to use wi-fi... not quite sure why though... :think:
It is bullshit android and apple are at war here?
Without going into my typical in-depth explanation, the short answer is YES. The long answer is YEEEEEEEEEEEES. ( Apple MFi / AdHoc sucks. )

On the bike there is a diagnostic socket under the seat, there is also another socket there, can I use that as a power socket?
Yes, but it will be constantly on. All OBD dongles tend to drain battery, save maybe two. However, I make a harness which solves this problem.
The DDA power connector under the seat is a AMP superseal 1.5 2-way. You can purchase it at Corsa Technic here: LINK
Just remember to unplug it.

Standard warning: Don't mess with it unless you know what you're doing. You run the risk of frying your ECU if you cross a wire.
1/5 of the Fiat 3-pin adapters I ordered for premade datalogging kits I make were polarity reversed from the factory. :rolleyes: Oops.

Not quite. Most dongles are fakes. Worse still, they are fakes that lie about their versioning. (Hooray, China!) Most simply won't work with ScanM5X... you'll get a endless loop trying to connect.

I've figured it out by trial and error. So you have 3 choices: Cheap and junk, slightly more expensive but proven junk, and really expensive but high-quality legitimate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks for the info and hard work! The dongle I have I have used on my car to get codes etc... And that was using an app on the phone also.

I'd be interested in knowing what the pinouts should be for the cable? So I can check them with a meter before plugging it in. As for the power socket under the seat I was thinking of using that instead of making longer cables that will need to go to the battery. I'm pretty sure I have some of the 2 pin plugs for when I modified the solenoid to get shot of that rubbish connector.

John

·
Registered
503 Posts
Here's a simple diagram of the 2 types, followed by complete instructions made by JohnEE @ DMF:

As I said, I wired things differently with my harness to make it idiot-proof. I VERY much dislike using alligator clips.
Also, you will run into some grounding issues with sensitive equipment like dataloggers (i.e. what I do).
The LonElec FTDI cable is great, but their 3-pin FIAT adapter is a bit weird since it only has a +12v clip.
So it shunts chassis ground through the ECU (which is bad). See the second picture.

Also, certain cables don't tie OBD system ground to power ground, and will cause problems if used as-is.
The "shortcut" is simply bridging it to chassis ground, but then you will get high frequency alternator noise fed into your ECU!!
Certain modifications need to be made, and not everyone is comfortable with a soldering iron...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info, I'll con check it when it arrives. I'm hoping it's the one with 2 crock clips.

John

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cable has finally arrived and it's the 2 crock clip type. I have con checked it and all appears correct. Just need to take the crock clips off now and put a amp connector on for the power socket.

John

·
Registered
567 Posts
Crossposting from the SportClassic forum...

I've actually been helping Christian code new features into his app. It is capable of much more than you think. Service reset, TPS reset, function tests, O2 trim, logging, etc. It's really powerful. And it mates well with his PC application ScanST. (See my post in the Tech forum about that.)

Soon to be released for ScanM5X: wireless 32-channel digital wideband AFR datalogging... with only your cellphone. And the datalogs are directly usable in Logworks to calculate corrections (or replay). Also GPS breadcrumb trails replayable in Google Earth. We're still working out the details. Maybe even will support the old 16M ECUs -- I'm still working on prototyping the circuitboard based on his advice.

I'm also working with a company to possibly get a premade harness, bluetooth dongle, verified hardware, etc. Complete plug-and-play, even for bikes without Lambda sensors, and completely street-legal for the ones that are. There's a lot of details to muck up, but I want to keep this post short. See the above post if you want the technical details.

Without going into my typical in-depth explanation, the short answer is YES. The long answer is YEEEEEEEEEEEES. ( Apple MFi / AdHoc sucks. )

Yes, but it will be constantly on. All OBD dongles tend to drain battery, save maybe two. However, I make a harness which solves this problem.
The DDA power connector under the seat is a AMP superseal 1.5 2-way. You can purchase it at Corsa Technic here: LINK
Just remember to unplug it.

Standard warning: Don't mess with it unless you know what you're doing. You run the risk of frying your ECU if you cross a wire.
1/5 of the Fiat 3-pin adapters I ordered for premade datalogging kits I make were polarity reversed from the factory. :rolleyes: Oops.

Not quite. Most dongles are fakes. Worse still, they are fakes that lie about their versioning. (Hooray, China!) Most simply won't work with ScanM5X... you'll get a endless loop trying to connect.

I've figured it out by trial and error. So you have 3 choices: Cheap and junk, slightly more expensive but proven junk, and really expensive but high-quality legitimate.
Do you know if the windows version (ST-Scan) has the same capability's as ScanM5X. I am now talking about the logging function. If it has I could use my new windows 8,1 tablet for logging, editing, and flashing of the ECU all in one. How cool would that be. Now I am using a LM-2 for logging and a laptop for flashing.

Jocke............

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes it is 100% possible. However, I prefer using ScanM5x (Android) to log with my cell phone!

When you log with ScanST (Windows), it opens an Excel spreadsheet and adds rows.
You can also do it wirelessly by using an ELM327 dongle for the ECU. (I haven't tested the BT part in in Windows 8.1.)
(Analog lambda is supported with a 5AM with a special harness.) (16M not supported via ELM327... you need a microUSB-OTG cable and KKL adapter)

Please note in the new edition of ScanM5X (1.10a+) wireless digital lambda (+32 channel using Innovate) is supported.
You need a "wireless bluetooth serial adapter" for that.

You need a specific adapter, however -- I am still working with him to find one that guaranteed works and is available worldwide.
Also, some configuration commands are necessary.... I sent Christian a set of PDF instructions.

Plus, the logs taken in ScanM5X (Android) can be imported as DAT into Logworks 3, AFR calculations performed automatically, then directly pasted into TunerPro.
If using ScanST (Windows) to log, you cannot import the resulting CSV data directly into Logworks3. Some kind of in-between conversion needs to be made.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts