Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love carbon fiber. So when I saw this shock protector for sale for pretty dang cheap, I thought there might be something fishy with it, but nevertheless I purchased it anyway since it was on ebay through paypal (with the buyer protection etc..)

Sure enough I receive it and right away notice DAMN its heavy.

Looking through the holes drilled in it for mounting it's clear as day that it's actually fiberglass with a thin layer of CF on the outside.

It's marketed as the "BEST CARBON FIBER!!!" But no, it's not.

This is the same as a jeweler selling a ring advertised as pure gold, but it's actually just gold plated.

PIT-ECK won't give me a partial refund, and I had to go through paypal to make a claim and waste my time. I'm able to return it for a refund now, but if you bought something from their online shop or order over the phone with a credit card you might just be screwed.

Here's a link to the ebay listing, and a screen shot of the ad because eventually the listing on ebay will expire.

DUCATI 748 916 SUSPENSION PROTECTOR CARBON FIBER D-30 | eBay

http://www.pit-eck.com/view-product/1141

Just a heads up for everyone on the forum to be wary of them.

FU Pit-eck ::: Aftermarket Sportbike Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm sure at least half of the aftermarket carbon pieces on ebay are just fiberglass with a layer of carbon laid over it. It's cheaper than using multiple carbon layers. If it was really that heavy, they probably used WAY too much resin.

Either way, that's the risk you run. I bought some carbon belt covers for my 748 project off ebay for 100 bucks. Sure they were real carbon, but it took me five hours with a dremel, drill, and sand paper to get them to fit half decent lol.

For 45 bucks, you kinda have to expect something to be up with it, whether it fits like crap, or in your case is carbon bonded over a fiber glass base.

Either way, the weight difference on a piece like that is negligible and it still looks nice. When it comes to carbon fiber you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
sorry to hear and good thing paypal worked with you.
2 things get me attention on this ebay seller.
ONLY 99%. I don't buy from any seller with less than 99.5% positive feedback.
The other "Surface Finish: CARBON FIBER". If the whole thing was CF, why would they post the surface finish.
Yes, ebay is ebay and we all need to read the print VERY CAREFULLY.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Even the stuff sold by Ducati has gotten negative reviews by people on this site. Better to cough up a few extra bucks and save yourself the aggravation of dealing with ill fitting and/or fake stuff.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I got an aftermarket front fender. Was 100$ including the shipping. Finish was pretty decent for the price, good smooth clearcoat. Feather light. Fit with some minor fiddling (had to open up the mount holes slightly with a file). The problem was the rear part was slightly too narrow and contacts the edges of the tire. Flexing it a bit did nothing, it's too rigid.

I glanced over the old stock one and found it had been rubbing in the same spot! Enough to scar the inside but not enough to cut through the plastic. That gave me a little reassurance that it isn't any WORSE than stock... But I'm still pissed. I'm going to slice off the offending corners with a dremel to prevent any issues. It fits fine otherwise.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was one of the last, tiny little pieces I wanted to finish up my project, replacing the majority of the body and all plastic odds and ends with cf. Just happened to find one on ebay and picked it up from PIT ECK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
carbon and fiberglass are very similar unless carbon is cured in an autoclave (Most are not). A wet layup is going to be heavy even when its all carbon.

·
Banned
523 Posts
i'm surprised that you noticed a weight difference...carbon and glass fibers are very much alike in weight. the only times you can really save on weight with carbon is on structural components...such as wheels, frame, etc. but when it comes to a little cover like that, where strength doesn't matter, they should all be about the same.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The local manufacturer makes both 100% cf and cf over glass. They are up front about it and do the cf over glass for a lower priced option. They both look great and I don't see any problem with runnng cf over glass, assuming they are well made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts