Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the lower triple tree there are two bolts, one on either side, to adjust the steering so the bars don't hit the tank. Can't remember the name of them. Anyway, one of them is sheared off and quite stuck. What should I do? I'm worried that if I try one of those remover tools it will snap off and I'll be in even worse shape than I am now. I also can't get a perfectly square angle on it. I can take the entire front end off, which will be a minor PITA since there's no other reason to do it at this point.

Open to suggestions...

·
Registered
73 Posts
On the lower triple tree there are two bolts, one on either side, to adjust the steering so the bars don't hit the tank. Can't remember the name of them. Anyway, one of them is sheared off and quite stuck. What should I do? I'm worried that if I try one of those remover tools it will snap off and I'll be in even worse shape than I am now. I also can't get a perfectly square angle on it. I can take the entire front end off, which will be a minor PITA since there's no other reason to do it at this point.

Open to suggestions...
Can you take some pictures?

Its not that much work for front end removal: remove front wheel, remove clipons or bar raisers, loosen triple pinch bolts and steering stem, then it should drop out. At most one hour work..

Probably a good idea at this time to check and regrease the front end bearings...

You can heat up the lower triple to around 120 deg celcius , that should expand the aluminium just enough, and you get out the stuck bolt easier..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CAN-L01 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
As stated, need good, clear, close-up pics.

My guess is that there is some corrosion in the steel threads of the bolt and the aluminum threads of the triple clamp. Bummer it broke. If it is a clean break, you could do the following:

- spray the bolt, threads on the ends of this fastener with PB Blaster or AeroKroil (penetrating lubricant)
- center punch "exact center" of bolt
- use a "reverse" drill bit, possibly 1/8" dia. (I know I know...think METRIC quikduk...lol)
- this "should" loosen up the bolt
- drill through if you can see both ends of the bolt

This usually works but...it doesn't hurt to add localized heat to the triple tree at this point to help break the corrosion.

If there is still no budging, you can carefully cut a slot in the bolt shaft (Dremel and small wheel), then use a punch to drive the bolt backwards working from the top, edge. This takes a delicate hand!

If this still doesn't work, get some Cobalt bits and start to drill the bolt shaft (using cutting fluid for steel) out in successively larger diameter bits. Patience is of virtue here...trust me.

Once you get to the inside wall of the threads but NOT THROUGH them, you should be able to use a combination of picks or small punches to help collapse the threads inward relieving the stress against the hole and allowing you to rotate the bolt back out.

FWIW, ALWAYS use ONLY COPPER anti-seize on steel bolts in aluminum. Silver, steel based or aluminum based anti-seize...uh...seizes. Don't ask!

Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The other option is drill the bolt out where you just nick the aluminum threads ever so slightly. You can usually then use the corresponding correct threaded tap for the hole to help you tap out the remaining threads and clean the aluminum threads in the hole.

Again...PATIENCE.

If you give up before buggering it up and want to send it to me, I'll do it for you as I have done this before a few times for others and I have access to the drills, mills, etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate all the great info guys. I found a new lower triple tree on ebay for $180 shipped. Couldn't pass it up. If this little issue was the only thing I was dealing with I probably would have spent the time on it, but there's way too much to do. Going to follow your tips on dropping the old one out and then just put the new one in there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also note that at some point in the future when I have more time I'll probably do the very patient drill and tap approach and then either store the spare lower TT, or sell it back on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts