Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a suggestion on this? I was looking in the classifieds for a used Bitubo and didn't see much and there aren't many manufacturers out there. I'm looking for used, or new. I'd prefer something mounted on the triple but don't know what is best. Anybody looking to sell?

Kurt

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
JCPakBikes sells the WASP top-mount steering damper. Pricey, but a very clean and effective setup.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
JC's IS the best.. it will cost you but there really isn't anything better..

you can go side mounted if you choose.

customsportclassics.com

storz dampers

and ohlins - note though - no brackets are made for these. you'll have to get creative. i have a ohlins SD-005 side mounted and it took me the better part of 4 months to get it mounted. good luck..

if i could do it over i would've gotten JC's without a second thought on the matter.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Are you guys experiencing head shake or other handling problems that require a damper? I've raced my SC for several seasons and never have felt the slightest bit of handling problems. Of course I'm slow and old....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Are you guys experiencing head shake or other handling problems that require a damper? I've raced my SC for several seasons and never have felt the slightest bit of handling problems. Of course I'm slow and old....
I got a head shake early on with stock wheels and suspension. After upgrading both, I haven't had any problems. (Knocks on wood)

Then again, I'm slow too.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I have only had a bit of wobble running over a slight rise on the front straight at the track I go to, WOT in third. Not really a concern, and it got to be less pronounced once I loosened my grip on the bars.

I bought the TMSD more as insurance than anything else. On a track bike you are forever farting around with suspension changes, different gearing, wheels, tires, fairings, etc., not to mention lines and technique. So, I figure, you never know when one of those changes is going to put you in that magical nasty chassis resonance zone that develops into a tankslapper....

Very possibly a total waste of money, but it does look nice!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Search 'tank slapper' on this site and read about some of the injuries SC's have caused!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Sounds like more "want" than "need" maybe?
Egg zactly.

I know there are a few around here who claim that their bike was a death trap before they installed a damper, but that definitely has not been my experience.

However, that said...let me tell you about my 750SSie. Very stable bike, rode it for years and years and thousands of miles with nothing even remotely resembling a serious head shake...sometimes just a little wiggle when the front end was light under acceleration.

Then, one day, I made the mistake of not slowing down for a railway crossing in a rural area. It was too late to take any evasive action once I saw with my own eyes the massive potholes right up next to the track - rode over one at 60 mph, causing a huge thumping bottoming of the forks, and the bike immediately entered into a terrible wobble that after a few occillations amplified into a violent, full-on lock-to-lock tankslapper, nearly tearing the bars out of my hands. I had zero control, and the bike made it's way quickly towards the ditch. The tankslapper finally damped itself out just in time for me to correct the steering and stay on the road. Really, it could have - by rights, should have - been much worse.

My point is just that even if a bike seems perfectly stable for years and years and in all sorts of conditions, a situation can still arise where a damper might save your bacon. You just never know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Street version of the Storz side mount really helps with a bit of aggressive urban riding defence against new potholes, trolley tracks and the concrete / asphalt / concrete transitions in the midst of 90 degree turns in the city.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts