Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking the latest insurance rates online from my neighborhood friendly anti-motorcycle public insurance monopoly's website and determined that this year I'll pay the exact same atrocious rate as a Superbike (almost 3k per year) and in this province there is no other choice!!! The SC is classified as a full out liter class sport bike! I find my bike sporty, but it sure isn't a Superbike!

So, out of curiosity... I ran the rates for a GT1000 ... and they were almost half as much, WTF, they're basically the same bike! So now I'm thinking, it might be cost effective to get a GT frame and swap the parts, taking the SC (frame) off the road... I presume other than the side panel mounts and the dimple free rear subframe, it should be a direct swap, since (hello insurance company) they're the same bike.

·
Registered
994 Posts
...this year I'll pay the exact same atrocious rate as a Superbike (almost 3k per year) and in this province there is no other choice!!!
Sometimes it's great to live in the USA! Just got my annual renewal policy from good old Flo at Progressive today. Hate the ads-- love the insurance. Full coverage on the Duc and liability only on the two Brit bikes is $247 US dollars for the year. Sorry to hear you will be getting hosed....

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Yea seriously, insurance companies make no sense sometimes. Progressive here as well, before I got my Sport I almost pulled the trigger on a 95 900SS CR. way less power power, less than half the price, and insurance was going to be nearly $1500 a year because it's a "sport bike". For the Sport, I pay less than 1/3 of that, because it is a "standard"

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, Manitoba blows for motorcycles. A friend sold his VFR as it was going to cost him the same as he paid for it to ensure each year... how does that make sense?

WTB clear title Canadian GT1000 frame ...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hmm, it should't be the case. I am insured with State Farm in Los Angeles (expensive place for insurance) and I pay about $1100/yr for full coverage, and I had 2 crashes.

That said, Geico quoted me $3K to insure the bike with the same coverage... so shop around...

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
Does Manitoba have gov't run insurance?
In Ontario we use State Farm because it is the cheapest about $1,000 - $1,200 a year .
If you go to The U.S.A you pay for hospital visits and health insurance out of pocket if your workplace does not pick it up...

Make your deductable high and rates should go down.
If you use the insurance (Crash) your bike will be a write off anyway.
Generally Insurance companies are crooks and won't pay or drag their feet if they have to pay...

Young people pay HUGE.
My buddy in his 20s pays $1,800 a year for the priveledge of riding 6-7 months a year...

Gov't and Insurance rip off , bed mates stealing from the working man...
the same buddy just got into an accident in a car his friend was driving , the Chirorpactor is raping the insurance companies for all he can get out of them. First he raped the kids workplace insurance till he ran that coverage dry.

Insurance is a crooked dishonest business fuelled by Gov't corruption and greed, that is backed by the politicians , with no spine , and benefits the bad doctors and shops who fix wrecked vehicles and over charge for services for over profit...

Too many crooks get rich on YOUR dollar..

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, Manitoba is Public (government) insurance, there's no other choice.

Age doesn't change the rates (else it would work in my favor). But there are discounts for accident free years. Going with the lowest deductabe only varies the rates a few hundred dollars, the vehicles type classification (sport) and value bracket are the only major factors.

·
Registered
846 Posts
In Michigan. No-fault insurance exempts motorcycles here.

State farm
748: ~$550
749: ~$600
GT: $700

state farm supposedly classifies based upon engine size, hence the GT costs more than my previous superbikes. if that doesnt seem weird, my 2005 mazda3 costs $1k a year. i have no points and no recent accidents...

also i run regular deductibles, but extra liability coverage $250k/500k.

by the way, i had progressive for my 748 once upon a time. someone vandalized the bike and the following year my premium jumped $2600 to $3100/yr. flo and her friends can suck my sack before i ever consider progressive for insurance again.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There should really be a consideration for horsepower or something quantifiable (accident statistics). I'm sure the Sport Classic does not cause the insurer the same as a Superbike to cover.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As it should be, u s1 riders are a danger and a hazard... GT riders are all polite road sharing, kind and good to our mothers.. Insurance cos know this, don't try to fool the man.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I just dropped my GT and replaced it with a PS and my insurance went down 75 dollars :D It just keeps getting better... 580/year

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'll trade you my GT1000 for your Sport, lol.

I'm in Florida. With Foremost's Ducati program, I'm paying about $46 a month for full comprehensive with a $250/deductible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts