Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am presently sitting on my bike in the middle of the city wondering why my bike won't start...

It doesn't want to turn over at all.
No check engine light comes on until I try to start it, then it turns off...

If I try to start it more than once, the bike will "reset" and will act like I just turned the key. (The needles will go from one end of the tach to the other, and all the lights will come on.)

I just had this taken to get the tank replaced about a month ago, and have been problem free since then. (Except for maybe a high idle.)

Anybody have any ideas?

I highly doubt it is a dead battery, since I've been riding it all night and haven't left the key in... But it certainly may be...

Thank you!
-max.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Does anybody know a good mechanic here, or is familiar with these? Having a resource like that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If its been recently worked on double check all your electrical connections.

·
Unleaded caffeine please...
149 Posts
Have you tried bump starting it?
(being stuck in the middle of the city and all at this hour)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Try wiggling the starter/coil/spark plug wires to make sure everything is connected. If its not even turning over, are you at least getting an error light? If so, it could be the Immobilizer acting up. If so, try holding in both dash buttons and turning ignition on until gauges sweep and CEL (yellow) light goes off then turn off ignition. Repeat for a total of 5 times. That may reset the ECU/Immobilizer connection.

Hope this helps!

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
...I just had this taken to get the tank replaced about a month ago, and have been problem free since then. (Except for maybe a high idle.)
Fuel line. Check to see if there is any 'sloshing' of gas in the tank when you turn the key.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dude, it's no worth fixing, just sell it to me ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Fuel line. Check to see if there is any 'sloshing' of gas in the tank when you turn the key.
Good call! Forgot about that issue :(

Fixing the fuel line requires draining and removing the fuel tank, removing the fuel pump, replacing the short fuel line section(s) with the right type of submersible fuel line and using the right type of fuel line clamps. MotoWheels or JC can help you out with the parts.

Good luck!

Tmnstr

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's what I was thinking it was. I actually heard that last night!
Is that a fix I can make myself? Or do I need to take it in?

Good call! Forgot about that issue :(

Fixing the fuel line requires draining and removing the fuel tank, removing the fuel pump, replacing the short fuel line section(s) with the right type of submersible fuel line and using the right type of fuel line clamps. MotoWheels or JC can help you out with the parts.

Good luck!

Tmnstr

I have had loosen fuel line twice.
It is not difficult to fix by yourself.

The tools you need are:
6mm allen key to unlock/lock tank from frame.
8mm hex spanner to unlock/lock pump from tank.
flat or phillip driver to unlock/lock fuel line clamps.

The correct submersible fuel line spec is SAE J30 R10, 7~8cm in length.

Now I always have all those tools and parts in seat compartment for accidental roadside repairment.

·
Registered
Ducati Sport 1000s
89 Posts
Have you already replaced the regulator/rectifier? The first time mine died I immediately had no clue...no fried wire smell, white smoke, etc. The second time though, I got the full monte. Your problem sounds exactly like what happened to mine. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll probably just take it to AMS Dallas for good measure. (And make them fix it for free. Since it's a product of the last fix they did)
But it's a pain considering it's a 5 hour drive.

-max.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts