Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Ducati release their production numbers to the public?Would be very curious as to how many Sport Classics were actually produced during their 3 year run, especially the GT and the Ducati 1000s which to me seems even rarer than the Paul Smart due to the simple fact that I never see them on the road or up for sale. Red a bit, black hardly ever.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Here's the current UK stats for now. (SORN means declared off road - Statutory Off-Road Notice.)

GT

Sport Classic 1000S

Paul Smart

Sport Classics

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I believe the Paul Smart's were a limited run of 2000. AFAIK, Ducati doesn't release production numbers outside of limited edition models. That being said, I'll agree it seems like PS's come up more often. That may just be due to the fact that they are fetching premium prices right now, and people who bought them as collectibles are cashing in. It also seems feasible that the numbers in later years (2008 on) were very low as they phased out the model, which wasn't selling well at the time.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I believe the Paul Smart's were a limited run of 2000. AFAIK, Ducati doesn't release production numbers outside of limited edition models. That being said, I'll agree it seems like PS's come up more often. That may just be due to the fact that they are fetching premium prices right now, and people who bought them as collectibles are cashing in. It also seems feasible that the numbers in later years (2008 on) were very low as they phased out the model, which wasn't selling well at the time.
I suspect that the reason there seem to be so many Paul Smarts around is because the sales of the other Sport Classic models were possibly lower than 2000 units each. I remember reading that sales of the Sport 1000 were less than 100 units worldwide (or was that just for N.A.? - a small number, regardless) for the last model year, which (if true) would provide ample reason for their discontinuing of the line.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, LondonDutch, where did you get those numbers? Very interesting how few GTs were sold in the UK. Seems a bit over 500 units in the UK total. I'm guessing the US would have maybe 1,000 units than. US is a huge market but I would see the GT being far more popular in the UK than the US in it's appeal. I would place Italy as having 2,000 or so due to home-ground advantage. Than Googling my brain for all the rest of the big-market countries (Japan, Germany, Australia/NZ, France, Canada) I would add another 6,000 or so than add up another 2,000 for the rest of the small markets and, volia;

11,500 GTs sold world-wide according to the figures I just pulled out of my -ss.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Wow, LondonDutch, where did you get those numbers? Very interesting how few GTs were sold in the UK. Seems a bit over 500 units in the UK total. I'm guessing the US would have maybe 1,000 units than. US is a huge market but I would see the GT being far more popular in the UK than the US in it's appeal. I would place Italy as having 2,000 or so due to home-ground advantage. Than Googling my brain for all the rest of the big-market countries (Japan, Germany, Australia/NZ, France, Canada) I would add another 6,000 or so than add up another 2,000 for the rest of the small markets and, volia;

11,500 GTs sold world-wide according to the figures I just pulled out of my -ss.
I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but I think LD's numbers are for the number of licensed bikes on the road each year, rather than bikes sold each year. So that would mean as of 2011 there are 123 GT's licensed on the road in the UK, not 500.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but I think LD's numbers are for the number of licensed bikes on the road each year, rather than bikes sold each year. So that would mean as of 2011 there are 123 GT's licensed on the road in the UK, not 500.
I see. Hence the (mostly) upward trajectory. As usual, my ass has let me down!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts