Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have been messing with my suspension setting recently and I have actually managed to get it setup fairly well, but would like slightly quicker turn in.

The manual says that you can raise or lower the rear damper, but does not say how. I presume that it is as easy as unbolting and moving the mounts?

Has anyone ever down this? What was your experience and is there anything I should be aware of? Is it really as easy as simple as lifting the bike up (using an Abba or similar stand to support the engine/frame) unbolting and moving it?

Thanks

R

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Pretty sure they are referring to the Paul Smart with adjustable Ohlin shock. It does have about 3/4 if an inch of height adjustment. Sport's marrzochi is not adjustable for height. You could do the opposite and raise the forks in triples a very little and that would quicken steering a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Hi folks,

I have been messing with my suspension setting recently and I have actually managed to get it setup fairly well, but would like slightly quicker turn in.

The manual says that you can raise or lower the rear damper, but does not say how. I presume that it is as easy as unbolting and moving the mounts?

Has anyone ever down this? What was your experience and is there anything I should be aware of? Is it really as easy as simple as lifting the bike up (using an Abba or similar stand to support the engine/frame) unbolting and moving it?
Thanks
R
Alas, those other holes near top of shock mount are not for that, they are only strong enough for a helmet cable lock according to the factory ;)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Yep, came across that myself - it is a mistake in the manual, referring to the adjustable rear ride height on the Paul Smart Ohlins.

If you are not topping the suspension out currently, why not just add rear spring preload? Functionally it is exactly the same as adding ride height so long as you are not at the end of the shock travel at any point when you are riding. If your rear sag (rider on board) is more than 25 mm, I'd say you have room to add preload and lift the rear up that way.

Raising the forks in the triples a bit will also quicken the steering, but it is not 100% equivalent to raising the rear. The effects on ground clearance and center of gravity are different - not necessarily worse, just different.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, the holes in the frame looked like they were for moving the shock position as they are identical....oh well!

I am still fiddling, so will adjust he rear preload a little, as for the front, I use a Quan front damper and have noticed a mark on the fender where I must have compressed the forks dso much it touched :eek: so no movement there!

R

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is the maximum the shocks could be raised through the triple clamp in order to lower the front end.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
What is the maximum the shocks could be raised through the triple clamp in order to lower the front end.
I have mine up .5 inch and no problem. Might be someone with a little morea little more.
Even at the half inch, bike almost stands up straight on stock kickstand, have to be careful parking, leans just enough on flat surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts