Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I'm new to the Ducati.ms forums, so a brief introduction; I'm 41, living in Ontario Canada. I have been riding Japanese dirt and street bikes since I was seven right up until 2004, when, after starting a family 11 years ago I sold my ZX9R as time and cash became high demand. I've always dreamed of Ducati ownership and am now at the point where I am ready to make a purchase. After reviewing the Ducati lineup, I have concluded that the Monster and the Sport Classic are my two finalists.

So, in my search for these two models (pre-owned) I have found a mint SCs with some nice extras including the full fairing (with the white number circle). But really, I would prefer to have the engine et al exposed. So, I'm wondering if the full-coverage lower portion of the fairing can simply be swapped with the bikini type "body panel" (as labeled in the parts catalog I downloaded). I guess for this to work, the upper fairing would have to be common between the two styles. Can someone confirm this??

Thanks in advance,
CanuckonaDuc

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes, the bikes are the same. The lowers are a Ducati add on that fit only the S and Paul Smart. They can be removed if You wish. To bad Your not closer, I have a nice one for sale:think:

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just to be clear they will not fit the monster

·
Registered
603 Posts
It's a good friends, I did some work on it for him. It has the "one Shot" motor and here is the best part, Its street legal with a calif. plate.

·
Registered
221 Posts
note also that if you get the SC with lower fairing panels and decide to remove them, then you will require two trim sections of fairing which fit under the tank sides and give rigidity to the cockpit fairing. These are removed in order to fit the full lower panels, so make sure you get them off the previous owner. Knowing ducati you may have to buy the entire fairing to get those pieces if they are not supplied !

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
And, in making your decision, both bikes are fun, but a Monster 1100 is a much better motorcycle, especially in an S model. A Sport S is a far more beautiful motorcycle.

Both, however, are one hell of a lot of fun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the opinion Softie. I hear you re my choices; the Monster would be a more comfy steed, while the SC is a sexy classic. The bottom line is that I would be fortunate to own either one. My choices are somewhat limited by the insurance companies here. I found that most companies will not insure Sport bikes anymore, and the ones that I found that would want to apply a surcharge on them ($300-$400!). I guess I'll have to pay to play.

Anywho, I have put an offer in just this eve on the SC...I'll be sure to post pics if I get her.

C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JS - I have an '07 and noticed a couple of things about your bike I like...

1) What rear fender eliminator and tail light are you using?
2) Noticed you had black trim outlining the white circle on the lower fairing.
Mine is plain white and it seems something was missing.
Did you paint that on or make a custom decal?
3) Do you know if the front signals on the NCR bike are available to buy?

I need to post a picture of mine sometime...but the only thing somewhat unique are some decals and Ohlin front forks.

I purchased my used from a dealer and it came with both the lower fairings and stock fairing components.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The tail chop is a one off homemade thing I did. Well I guess a two off: I did the one on the black SE as well. These shots were before we installed turn signals. Those black circles were on the lowers when I bought them from the dealer? The signals on the NCR came from Lockhart Phillips. Hope this helped.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts