Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's almost time for me to bite the bullet on the big 7.5K service. I knew before I bought my GT that cost of ownership was somewhat higher than on most bikes, but my dealer assured me it's better than it used to be, and is now only about 20% more.

Since my GT is the first bike I've had in years, my only point of reference is my old '83 Honda Shadow 750 and I know its maintenance costs were way lower, even allowing for inflation.

I've been told to expect to pay about $800 for the service, and I do plan on reducing the cost by changing my oil and cleaning\lubing\adjusting the chain prior to taking it in, but whatever I save there will be offset by the need to purchase a rear wheel stand in order to do that stuff. I know the stand will save me money and hassles in the long run though.

So how do you guys who have or recently had other brand bikes feel SCs compare with other makes cost of ownership and maintenance intervals-wise?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
$800 seems pretty high. I called three reputable shops in the Atlanta area and quotes for the 7.5k only ranged from $420 to $430 for labor, plus oil and filter costs.

I recommend shopping around a bit.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I would agree with the 20% number: comparing to BMW. BMW has less service requirements, but their parts and labor are quite expensive.

Compared to Japanese bikes, I still would say it's at least 40% higher. Under-bucket valve shim adjustments don't take much longer to do than our adjustments, and last 20k-25k miles once they're bedded in. Then there's our 10k mile cam belt.

BUT: there's also the do-it-yourself factor. An Oilhead Beemer is incredibly easy to service yourself, even if you aren't a very experienced mechanic. That same limited experience mechanic probably shouldn't dive into a Desmo valve adjustment, so then the $400-$800 7500 mile Ducati service ends up costing about $50-$75 for the BMW (oil, filter, plugs, and zero cost valve adjustment).

Course, if that same BMW develops a non-warranty problem and has to be diagnosed and repaired at the dealer, then the costs could be even higher than the Duc. So, it depends.

·
Registered
555 Posts
yup, more expensive than Jap by about 30%.
yup, more exciting to own than Jap by about 150%
About the same for a Beemer 4valve but more exciting by 200%

·
Registered
555 Posts
excluding of course the Beemer HP2, but I'm guessing on this one because I've never owned one.....

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
excluding of course the Beemer HP2, but I'm guessing on this one because I've never owned one.....
Yeah, I don't know anything either about the DOHC HP2 head, so I haven't a clue about the adjustment process. The rest of the Oilheads have their cams up in the cylinders with little shorty pushrods. They adjust with simple screw and locknut adjusters.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was referring to the excitement factor of the HP2, not the maintenance costs. Oops, I also meant to refer to the BMW four cylinder bikes not four valve bikes. (typing ahead of my thinking....)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Think of the cost of servicing a Ferrari, you own an Italian mostly handbuilt non-mass produced machine and it's what you need to expect. However, the quality of the workmanship of the shop working on your machine relative to this cost needs to be checked out.

Aside from spending several thousand dollars in mods on mine over the last 1.5yrs it has been extremely reliable and the shop I use has a brilliant mechanic that I trust so I for one don't mind paying the price on the service as i know it will continue to run like a swiss watch. :cool:

·
Registered
555 Posts
.....and of course that is the REAL challenge, finding the excellent mechanic you can trust. easier said than done.

·
Registered
126 Posts
my philosophy is simple: If you have to ask "how much?" then you probably can't afford a Duc nor should you buy one. There are no bargains in pleasure and those seeking such fictitious bargains are only cheating themselves out of life. Live and exist within your means...period.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
"Do it yourself" is one advice and "Don't believe the hype" the other…

When your warranty period is over it is up to yourself to decide and set the preferences…

If you think that you have to change belts every two years then do it…

I wouldn't and so says my trustful mechanic!

Changing oil and filter or lubricating and tensioning the chain along with many other maintenance procedures can be done without visiting the workshop…

Working on a motorcycle can be as delightful as riding… The more you can do yourself, the more fun you have…

It's not a matter of saving money

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MajorSoftie and DADDA - thanks for the info on DUC cost of ownership vs. other bikes. I certainly agree they're worth it, but it is comforting to know I'm not paying more than what my original research vs. other bikes led me to believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts