Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ,

Topic is about a Yellow Monoposto Sport Classic 1000 from 2006 which I own with 3200 km's on the clock .
Never seen rain , so essentially a new bike >:)

Recently almost lost the bike in a fire , started by what I think a short circuit in the cabling/connectors to the voltage rectifier . During my first post-winter drive , saw smoke coming from the back in my rear view mirror . When stopped the bike , I noticed it came from under the seat so immediately took off the rear cover . Flames already were lighting up from the voltage rectifier ; Fortunately had the courage to put out the flames with my leather gloves and avoided further damage .

I recently replaced it with a new rectifier - must say the non-mosfet type as per original - as locally here in Belgium/Europe was the one available at hand .

When I rode it again for the first time afterwards , I checked the unit again after 15 mins of driving , and noticed that the heat sink is very hot for my liking ( cannot hold my fingers on it ) ; wiring is 'normal' temperature ie. warm but not hot .
Does anybody know how hot normal operating temperature might be of a stock rectifier heatsink ?
Just to make sure I don't try my luck twice :|

Thx for your opinions ,

regs , Harald

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The stock-style Voltage Regulators now just scare me, for all the reasons you've posted. Replace that with a MOSFET unit as soon as possible! There are re-locating kits available for the stock units, putting them under the seat pan for better cooling, but that's not dealing with the real problem.

I purchased my MOSFET unit here: Home

There are plenty of vendors who will sell you the regulator and plug-and-play adapters. I used my stock wires and the correct harness attachment.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Hello all ,

Topic is about a Yellow Monoposto Sport Classic 1000 from 2006 which I own with 3200 km's on the clock .
Never seen rain , so essentially a new bike >:)

Recently almost lost the bike in a fire , started by what I think a short circuit in the cabling/connectors to the voltage rectifier . During my first post-winter drive , saw smoke coming from the back in my rear view mirror . When stopped the bike , I noticed it came from under the seat so immediately took off the rear cover . Flames already were lighting up from the voltage rectifier ; Fortunately had the courage to put out the flames with my leather gloves and avoided further damage .

I recently replaced it with a new rectifier - must say the non-mosfet type as per original - as locally here in Belgium/Europe was the one available at hand .

When I rode it again for the first time afterwards , I checked the unit again after 15 mins of driving , and noticed that the heat sink is very hot for my liking ( cannot hold my fingers on it ) ; wiring is 'normal' temperature ie. warm but not hot .
Does anybody know how hot normal operating temperature might be of a stock rectifier heatsink ?
Just to make sure I don't try my luck twice :|

Thx for your opinions ,

regs , Harald

this is a VERY common problem on the SCs, all years!! my friend lost his Paul Smart to this exact problem. I recommend you do a search on this forum as this topic was covered multiple times. if you want to save yourself some time, reach out to JC Pakbikes and het his MOSFET rectifier. there are other options too though.

I recommend that all the SC owners upgrade their OEM rectifiers to avoid them going up in flames!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts