Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got the bike on the dyno and im going again this weekend.
We are off to try out some diffrent intake funnels and stacks, the diffrence with my idea from ex tpo and other is that im using the stock airbox. Will post graps of that aswell.

Done to the engine is:

1123cc big bore.
Steel sleeve cylinders.
one off mahle hc teflon coated pistons.
Porting by Erik Larsson at proservice sweden.
1mm bigger intake valve.
DP cams.
Custom airfilter frame with k&n airfilter.
termi 2-1 exhaust.

After we are done with the intake side we are gonna build a "fake" stepped header exhaust and go of to the dyno the experiment with lenghts and dia to get the best result, but that is more like early autom job.

the engine is amazing and pulls soo hard and the bike is a crazy ride but more is to come.

I have thrown in a comparison with a hypermotard fully mapped, 2-1 system and dp cams. which i think is a fair comparrison since its a 1100cc engine.
Both bikes are from the same dyno bench and from same tuner so you can tell the diffrence.
i have a feeling this engine can deliver more:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Must be awesome to ride...

You could say it is particularly strong below 6000 - or you could say it looses some of its enthuse over 6000 revs. Which is surprising with the porting and the big valve and the race cams.
You'd expect a second breath at 6000 :think:
Plus it doesn't have the perfectly symmetric torque curve (around 5.5-6) typical of a 2 valve ducati.:confused:

I'm not saying it is the airbox, but I'd certainly play around with it....
...as I'm sure you will :D:D

great project, keep us informed !

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The strange thing is that you dont feel it "drop off" as you see it in the dyno charts.
It just hammers down at low revs and when you get the revs going it just keeps it up.
Im gonna do some airbox mods, new intake funnesl to boost top end.
The thing is that the kits that doesnt have the airbox and diffrent funnels have the same curve to and drop of arround 5,5 to 6.

The thing is that my bike makes so much torque so the drop of seems bigger then other bikes, the 1100 just seem to run out of steam at that point.

We where supprised how much torque the engine made. i thought that it would make more hp then torque.

But we are not finished yet, i think the exhaust header is a bit to small for the engine inner dia 38mm.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
this is the hp output of a well tuned 944cc engine, with a plus 10Nm
of torque eventually, and not matching the effort that went into the
engine so far.

:think:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is the hp output of a well tuned 944cc engine, with a plus 10Nm
of torque eventually, and not matching the effort that went into the
engine so far.

Hi muschi, yes there is some more to do i,e stepped headers and airbox mods.
Dont stare your self blind on the number only, you have to look at the comparison of the 2 bikes. It sounds like a bad excuse but this bench is aprox 7 procent tuffer then ither benches we have tried.
So in another bench we might end up with 107 hp but that isnt anything to take up here since threads have a tendency to get out of hand here.

as said, there is some more to do. the engine is tuned so much so probably the exhaust and inteka arent up for the job.
But we will se, more testing this weekend.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Tre :cool: comparison Christopher...
But WHY is your bike only pulling to 8000rpm? Are you not running a DP/Termi ecu with the higher limiter?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the torque drops after 6500. Notice that the HP is climbing/flat at the limit. This is one strong motor.

I would be VERY supprised if a WaspPUK did not give you an extra 5hp on top of these figures.

Greg.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Like to see what the WASP-PUK does with this engine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like to see what the WASP-PUK does with this engine.
Care for a donation?

We only ran it to 8000rpm since it drops of after that and we allready reached our peak.
I think that the wasp kitwould boost the top of this bike for shure.
What is the rewlimit on the dp ecu, i have remapped the old stock ecu and kept the dp one for the exhaust unchanged, i have two.

I think with good intake and better exhaust there is more to gain.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I think with good intake and better exhaust there is more to gain.

so do i, there is definetly something missing here.

all the best with the next dyno session then. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so do i, there is definetly something missing here.

all the best with the next dyno session then. :)
Im really pleased with the torque and im hoping for more top end this dyno session with the new intake config.

Have you seen any dynos with stepped headers, you hadnt done any?

The casono full system that pakbikes sell have stepped headers and they produce 3 hp more over the stock bike which isnt that much more and that is an expensiva exhaust. Seems a bit strange since the comparison is stock against full exhaust. If it was termif 2-1 full exhaust aganst the casunos i think 3 hp is ok becaosu of it being a better full exhaust but over stock it seems a to little.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
... i have remapped the old stock ecu and kept the dp one for the exhaust unchanged, i have two...
How are you mapping a stock ecu? They closed loop units. No one has been able to map one that I've heard of has been able to map a stock '06 or newer SportClassic ecu.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How are you mapping a stock ecu? They closed loop units. No one has been able to map one that I've heard of has been able to map a stock '06 or newer SportClassic ecu.
www.hypertrick.net

That is my friend Tom and he remaps the stock ecu for you if you want, he is a killer dyno tech and does all my mapping and tuning.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd try to find out what NCR do to their engines, intake- and exhaustwise. They've been able to get 120 HP out of a DS1000 if I remember right. They've got to be doing something right, and they sure seem to have R&D money.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
ncr are beyond 120hp already, but they use their special crankshaft and
titanium valves etc., lots of pretty expensive stuff.

DSM in germany was at 125-130hp with their race SS1000DS already i think,
some years ago, with 1078ccm and 50mm downdraft intakes iirc,
with a custom 2in2 of famous SR racing exhaust builder Sepp Bruckschlögl. ( http://www.sr-racing.de/ )

maximum hp shouldn't be the goal here anyway probably, rideability is
first of course, and that thing should stay in one piece long enough
in between rebuilds to be somewhat reasonable.

Im really pleased with the torque and im hoping for more top end this dyno session with the new intake config.
Have you seen any dynos with stepped headers, you hadnt done any?
no i have not done any tests yet, but the builder of my exhaust has,
with his stepped header 2in2 spaghetti and open airbox, on a respected
dyno of course, it had 98hp and 102 Nm, this is DIN hp at the main gear-
box shaft or course.
another SS1000DS from Jako Motorsport has 112hp and 104Nm with
stock displacement and 2in1 with 41mm Keihin carbs.
cases haven't been split yet.

i really wonder why you are using steel liners in an aluminum cylinder,
i think you throw +20 years of engineering away with that, but what
do i know. Some less cc would have suffice in my opinion, 1078 cc
in example, but you have my best wishes for sure.

:)

Edit took a look at the recent addings of the SR racing bikes in his gallery,
and there is a picture of the ~125 hp DSM racing bike in there, here it is:

·
Registered
309 Posts
ncr are beyond 120hp already, but they use their special crankshaft and titanium valves etc., lots of pretty expensive stuff.
For sure some of their machinations are out of reach of the common man, but they ought to also know how to flow air into and out of their engines, is what I'm saying. I've never seen the intake config they use, for example.

-- edit
lechef, have you seen the Canadian Martin Brickwood's Ducati heads and valve collets? Extra HP stuff. Don't know if you're going in that direction, but they should have some useful knowledge.

http://www.mbpducati.ca/

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome numbers!

What big bore kit are you using and where did you buy it?
I bored out my stock pistons and my engineguy designed the pistons.

I belive that www.proservice.se he is the guy who builds my engines has a bolt on kit based on my stuff so you just send him the cylinders and he has liners and pistons ready.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To reply to muschi:

i really wonder why you are using steel liners in an aluminum cylinder,
i think you throw +20 years of engineering away with that, but what
do i know. Some less cc would have suffice in my opinion, 1078 cc
in example, but you have my best wishes for sure.

The steel liners are in there to create stability since the original sleeves would have been so thin after them being bored out.
Erik the guy who builds my engines has his own way of going at it and he allways ends up with good results. I trust him big time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts