Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Watched a few minutes of that - did not enjoy it.

Riding at 50 km/h or more faster than the surrounding vehicles in heavy trafffic, passing on all sides....just a good way to die quick. Really, really stupid riding - sorry.

Find some empty roads for frollicking about. In heavy traffic behave youself and protect yourself. Seriously.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had a guy pull a stunt llike that to me... I was joy riding, he pulled up to me at a light and began to rev up and took off like a bat out of hell...right into a SUV...totalled his bike and broke his left leg below the knee, compound fracture. he was wearing a tee shirt, shorts and sneakers... I did stop to help... he was hurt and very embarassed. Oh yeah...his helmet flew off on impact since it was not strpped on.

lucky guy.. he survived and I am sure he will think twice next time he gets a wild hair up his ass...

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx for caring

been riding for 30 years accident free but never been afraid to move a bit. always give myself an 'out' ........so it looks more dangerous than what it is to a novice ..

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
been riding for 30 years accident free but never been afraid to move a bit. always give myself an 'out' ........so it looks more dangerous than what it is to a novice ..
Passing drivers in their own lane. Passing on the right in a lane that is ending. Going out of one's lane onto the left shoulder. I'm glad you've been accident free and hope you continue to be, but for what its worth nothing I saw in the portion of the video I watched suggested any of the things that earn my respect: Good judgment, good vehicular control and good citizenship to name just three.

-don

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Okay, then I guess I must be a novice, because it sure as hell looks dangerous to me. It looks to me like there were many many cases where a sudden unsignaled lane change (to the right!) by another driver would have finished you off neatly.

Even if you are perfectly safe yourself, how do you think the other road users like being buzzed by you at twice the speed limit? Having you scream past on the right when they never even had a chance to see you coming? Do you really just see other drivers as moving obstacles in your personal little video game?

Maybe you think the public highways are your personal playground, but from my perspective it is shameful and selfish. Very bad for the rest of us, too.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Again thanks for the concern and your tips

wow ! didnt realize this would frighten so many !

like i said before when riding you must always give yourself and 'out' with every move. believe it or not at the speed i was travelling when close to vehicles i still anticipate a car driver's possible f-ups ...and give myself an option. even when i am just crusing thru traffic at regular speed i ASSUME the guy in the cage is gonna turn left in front of me, change lanes when i am next to him, go thru that red lite or stop sign, or just pull out even when he or she is looking straight at me. when sitting at a stop lite or sign i am in my rearview in gear ready to pull away for the idiot who might rear end me , etc etc ..you have to be able to think and react as fast as you are travelling. i have had close calls but have ALWAYS had a game plan...have i had cars do all the above to me ?? YES ! Have I been injured ?? NO ! Why! because I anticipate every second ALWAYS. i dont ride with my mind wandering and thinking of other things ... i am focused on the task at hand . any of you ever ride in California where lane splitting is legal ?? i know some people love it (as do I) and some dont have the stomach for it ...to each his own i say.

In over 10 years of drag , motocross and road racing and concurrent & consecutive years of street riding since 1973 the only injuries i received where in motocross. as far as upsetting those of you who i have frightened or whose 'social concience' keeps them awake at nite i sincerely apologize .....but i was never the type to ride around with a reflective vest, a sheepskin seat and enuf rain gear to sink a battleship.....i do however appreciate your input ...

ride safe
muzzmann

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
i sincerely apologize .....but i was never the type to ride around with a reflective vest, a sheepskin seat and enuf rain gear to sink a battleship.....
I appreciate you not taking other's comments as personal attacks. But certainly (well, I suppose maybe not) you realize that we who have commented aren't "frightened" by your comments. Nor is responsibly street riding indicative of the sometimes silly safety and comfort gear you refer to.

I like (or more accurately "liked") to test my skills at speed. Thus for quite a few years I shared in several track days each season. But I've ridden long enough to recognize the signs of poor judgment, poor vehicular control, and to know the end result of irresponsible chance taking. I've held an injured rider's hand while we waited for the ambulance to arrive. I picked up the pieces of broken glass and fairing off the street. And I've gone to more than enough funerals.

What you would have seen in my eyes on those occasions was not fear, it was sadness mixed (sometimes) with a bit of anger.

-don

·
Registered
674 Posts
...but i was never the type to ride around with a reflective vest, a sheepskin seat and enuf rain gear to sink a battleship...

ride safe
muzzmann
this was a good post until that 2nd to last sentence. Now i have to go home, crack open my bmw sidecases and burn my yellow vest, rain gear and sheepskin seat all of which i honestly have. Damn!

Of course i never use those on my ducati :cool:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was coming back from PA to NJ on Sunday afternoon and it seems that every asshat with a sportbike was on the same road as me. Between the lane splitting, tail-gating, and the other jackassery that was going on, I was sure that something bad was going to happen. Thankfully, one of em got a rear flat causing the rest to slow down and drive like civilized riders.

I'm not going to say that I don't get a "wild hair up my ass" every once in a while, but I NEVER unleash it in traffic.

And, in no disrespect to our ducs or to yours, but that R1 seemed to be walking on you! There is no way that an air cooled L-twin will go eye for eye with that liquid cooled I-4. You might hold up in the twisties, but not in a foot race.

Either way, glad your still alive....and I hope riding like that in public doesn't end bad.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
holy moly

no i am not offended. to each his own. didnt mean to offend anyone about their excessive gear either :0) ....

as far as the R1 walking on me ....when we hit the throttle similtaneously he barely pulled me ... where you see him pulling away .. and if you listen to my bike...i delayed accelerating to give him space should i need to avoid piling into him. Look at 3:07 in the video where we hit it at the same time ...i stay right with him...on the long uphill right hander after that i held off till i got around the car at the apex ....granted the R1 makes way more HP at high rpm and will pull away there .. but from a roll on at any speed under say 100mph i can stay with him ... add to that he was a pretty big guy and it was an almost level playing field ...remember the torque\hp ratio.........

he was surely taken by suprise ......

·
Registered
323 Posts
dd to that he was a pretty big guy and it was an almost level playing field ...remember the torque\hp ratio.........

he was surely taken by suprise ......
I didn't realize he was fat.....nuf said! He was prob in a hurry to hit Mickey-D's!

and maybe 'walking' was a bad word....

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't realize he was fat.....nuf said! He was prob in a hurry to hit Mickey-D's!

and maybe 'walking' was a bad word....

Don think he was fat just a BIG guy ...i aint so small myself but you can see how my SC stays with him on the roll on .... dont expect to be whippin a 130lb jockey onna R1 on any track day soon unless i can shoehorn a Desmosedici motor into my frame ..... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks MuzzMann, for an entertaining video.
Honestly, I find it all very reasonable from a personal safety point of view. Nothing crazy or dangerous, taking time to observe drivers' intentions, don't race, but don't let traffic keep you up, know the escape line, be alert, swift and fluent. I'd call it responsible fast riding. But then, I grew up in the days before speed = criminal intent.
The reason I personally don't ride like that (any more) on the freeway (in the US) is because of the law. If they catch you, they take your bike, shred your license and maybe more. Sad, but true.
I do see other's points that this is irresponsible. And I've long stopped arguing. For years, good people have been trying to convince me that bike riding is irresponsible for a father, and later a grandfather, and there were some "I told you so's" when I -finally- crashed on the track and hurt myself... shows again: the good people are always right. The law is always right.
Let me ask you this : if you were forced to always abide by traffic rules, how many of you would still take the bike?

vitalc

1 - 20 of 46 Posts