Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

first of all let me introduce myself, name´s JP age 37 and i´m from Portugal - that much you can figure by yourselves right? :)
I have started my adventure with Ducati with the Monster 696, next i went to the lovely 848 and 2.5 years ago i have picked the Multistrada 1200S - amazing bike and definitely the best of the bunch.
Since the day i started to see Ducati bikes with other eyes there was always a model that touched me deeply - Sport 1000! Everytime i saw a picture of this bike i was speechless... still am today.

I have one bike with 5000 miles on it at a distance of a phone call and i don´t know what to do. My life doesn´t allow me to have 2 bikes - my wife neither - so i must decide, keep the Multistrada or get the Sport 1000. I saw the bike yesterday and it´s brand new, fully equipped, and amazingly preserved.

Now the facts: now with 37, one son and another one on it´s way i don´t make too many kms a year, most of it is home to work and on the weekends a trip to the beach not far from where i live.
Now the question: will i get used to the Sport 1000 riding position? will i be making a good trade considering the low mileage i do per year?

The bike has a spair set of raisers for the handlebar - i don´t think Ducati sells them anymore - is there anyone out there that can tell me the diference between the standard riding position and the one with the raisers applied?

This is a niche bike and for that reason i would love to get your help on this decision.

Thanks all in advance!
JP

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
If you think the Multi is the best of what you've had then the SC will be the worst. Some people get used to the bike and some don't no matter what fixes they make. This is a bike that moves you on an emotional level and you accept the sparsity of the bike blindly.

Really, the decision is yours and yours alone to make.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Multi and the SC are two very different bikes. Only you can decide which you'd rather have.
I am fortunate to have one of each, but if I had to give up one or the other, I'd give up the Multi long before I'd sell my GT. I prefer the more basic, simple, pure ride experience of the GT over the electronically assisted ride of the Multi. Having said that, the Multi is certainly fun on twisty roads and it's fast as all hell. It's a tough decision that only you can make for yourself. Personally I don't think you really can go wrong with either bike.
As far as the ride position, if you didn't mind the ride position of the 848, you'll be fine with the ride position on the SC.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes!!!! I'm sure the multi is fun, but the sport is beyond fun. If u can deal with an 848 the sport shouldn't be bad. Especially if u get the higher clip ons. Its def not a touring bike like the multi. But for around town and twisties, the sport is great.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the Multistrada and Sport Classic are both motorcycles,
but only one of them has got true garage queen abilities.

:yeah:

·
Registered
71 Posts
No one can decide for you but yourself but the Sport Classis is like the beautiful italian mistress that never loses her beauty. I lusted after one ever since I saw them in 2006. It was only a month ago that I finally acquired one.

Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
Ducati Sport 1000s
89 Posts
I'd agree that if you've gotten used to the 848 you won't have to adjust to the SC1000...much. Unless you go for an S. +1 on Air_Cooled_Nut's portrayal of the SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
The SC1000 appeals to the heart while the MTS 1200 appeals to the brain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
JP,

At the beginning of this year I sold my BMWR1200GS.
I had ridden it 36,000 km in 18 months, most of the time
pushing hard. This bike never had a heart. It was just
a perfect piece of German engineering made of steel,
plastic and rubber, no soul.

Then I bought a 2006 Sport Classic, yellow, big bore kit,
2-1 Race Termis. What a difference! No perfection, but
pure emotions! 100 km with my SC gives me more
pleasure than 1000 km with the BMW.

It's a no brainer. Buy the SC! You will love her.

Cheers, Dominik

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 1000s will probably depreciate less than the Multistrada and is very pretty. It will have a lot less power but still plenty to make you smile.

It is a tough decision. There is no bad choice.

Consider a GT1000 unless you really love the Sport 1000 style. The GT is cheaper and more practical for everyday use.

Congratulations on the little one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got my 06 Sport mono back in 2010. It was my first bike after a 27 year riding gap and I'm shortish at 5'7. I wanted to re-capture my youth, blasting down country lanes here in the UK on the sort of bike I lusted after in the late 1970's.

After the first ride I felt 102 years old. I found it crippling at first but with a few mods it is now much better; at least for me. It's the perfect bike for a 30-60 minuite ride (or longer with a stop off and a chance to stretch my limbs).

- DP risers from the 07 model.
- Renthal flat bars with a 15 dergree bend, chopped to reduce the reach to the bars by an inch.
- Soggy suspension stiffened up to give a plush ride and reduced fork dive.
- Decent tyres next on the list

Mine now feels a world apart from the standard bike and is great fun, full of Italian character and it feels really special. I'd never sell it unless I was forced to. My passion for the Sport 1000 has increased over the last two years. My memory of previous bikes was that I got bored and wanted to upgrade after 12 months; not with this bike though.

Its a very personal choice. I have no regrets.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
More women will be attracted to you on a Sport 1000 than a Multistrada. As a family man, what you choose to do with this information is entirely up to you.:cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your time and kindness answering to this thread :eek:

I have decided that with 37 years old i can still make one more decision based on the heart instead of the head - i bought it!
As soon as i get it on my hands i´ll post some pics!!

Thanks again,
JP

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Parabens

Você vai amá-la.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Get use to the permanent grin you'll be walking around with from mow on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts