Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
MikeM said:
As for sonic superiority, I'll take twin bevel-gear scream on top of the basso profundo of a pair of reverse-cone megs to any rubberband motor around. You ain't gonna hear ANY clutch - dry or otherwise - when the Bologna Philharmonic plays *that* tune. ;)
I agree with you to an extent(mostly because I haven't heard one with that kind of exhaust,just an older one with some Conti's on it)....there is a guy around here that has an 851 with a pair of reverse-cone megaphones and that bike is quite possibly one of the most unique,loud,and sweetest sounding Duc's I think I have ever heard!
 
G

·
Zoom's right, that is a wet clutch. Acually I was surprised to see it on the GT and a bit let down. I really like the dry clutch on the Ducs and along with the Desmo, the L shape of cylinders and the trelis frame, are (for me at least) what makes a Ducati.

I also asked a few questions at the Bike Expo (that's where I got the pic, it's in Athens, Greece) and this wet clutch is unfortunately gonna haunt Ducati I think :( , it's got the APTC system (kind of slipper clutch characteristics) but still it ain't a Ducati clutch in my book.

Anyway, I really love this bike though and if $$$ permits it's going to be my next addition to my Multi (retail price On The Road is 11000 euros here).

Doc
 

· Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Hickey said:
OK. I'm a heathen. Because I like the move towards wet clutches on Ducati street bikes.
I’m with you on that. That was definitely a selling point for the 2005 ST3 with a wet clutch. There is just no way I would tour, up to 20 hours a day on a bike that makes so much rattling noise, the only noise I want to hear on a bike is some wind and the sweet sound of the exhaust.

Turbo said:
...and a big fan of Japanese bikes by the sound of it!
Hmmmm... and that is a bad thing?

I’m a fan of all motorcycles. I don’t discriminate about their country of origin, I don’t think one is more superior then the other. Just like people are all different, all makes of motorcycles are also different, all have their good and bad points. Now if my Duc could shift like my Honda, I might not by typing this post he he.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
YellowDuck said:
Thanks for the picture of the GT1000. Best shot I have saeen so far.
Unfortunately all my bike pictures have me sitting on them. The retro Ducs so far are the most uncomfortable bikes that’s I’ve ever sat on, they sure look pretty though.



 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
VIVID1 said:
Unfortunately all my bike pictures have me sitting on them.
Funny. I see that as a plus. ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
jack said:
Why do you find them uncomfortable?
It probably has something to do with me being 5’5” and having the length of my arms proportional to my height :) The seating position is more aggressive on the retro bikes because the handle bars are very low and the reach is kind of far too. On the 748/996 the reach is closer, so the clip-ons being so low isn't a big deal.
 
G

·
A little update with a piece of inside info on the "uncomfortable Classics" thing. I spoke today with xxxxxx and he told me that the final production GT will have a 1-2cm lower seat height than the one I saw at the Expo (pre-production bike).

I guess that will take a bit of the "uncomfortable" thing off Vivid, right ?

Regards,

Doc
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
VIVID1 said:
The retro Ducs so far are the most uncomfortable bikes that’s I’ve ever sat on, they sure look pretty though.
LOL. You want uncomfortable, try one of the originals. Or if you can't find one of those nearby, just glue a scrap of leather on a 2x6 and sit on that for a few hours and the term "uncomfortable" will take on a whole new meaning!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
VIVID1 said:
Hmmmm... and that is a bad thing?

I’m a fan of all motorcycles. I don’t discriminate about their country of origin, I don’t think one is more superior then the other. Just like people are all different, all makes of motorcycles are also different, all have their good and bad points. Now if my Duc could shift like my Honda, I might not by typing this post he he.
Hmmmm, ermmmm, well no! Interesting isn't it how the mere mention of 'Japanese' bikes causes a lot of people to assume you are bashing them. :eek:

It's simply a fact. Japanese bikes without loud(er) pipes are generally pretty damn silent. Some like that. Some don't. If a Japanese motorbike appealed to me, I'd have no hesitation picking one up and that goes for all other makes. It's not discrimination to notice and comment about the traits of any particular motorcycle marque. :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
MikeM said:
Or if you can't find one of those nearby, just glue a scrap of leather on a 2x6 and sit on that for a few hours and the term "uncomfortable" will take on a whole new meaning!
I'm very familiar with sitting on a 2x4… I've done an Iron Butt Saddle Sore ride on a 954RR that has a stock seat aka the plank .. the seat has 1” of foam. (For those that don’t know a saddle sore is 1,000 miles in less then 24 hours). When I say a bike is uncomfortable, I really mean it… he he.

I’m going to do that same ride on the ST3 this year, should be way more comfy.



Turbo said:
Interesting isn't it how the mere mention of 'Japanese' bikes causes a lot of people to assume you are bashing them. :eek:
I don’t assume anything. But then again I don’t see a lot of good posts about Japanese bikes on European bike message boards, just like I don’t see a lot of good posts about European bikes on Japanese bike message boards.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
VIVID1 said:
I'm very familiar with sitting on a 2x4… I've done an Iron Butt Saddle Sore ride on a 954RR that has a stock seat aka the plank .. the seat has 1” of foam. (For those that don’t know a saddle sore is 1,000 miles in less then 24 hours). When I say a bike is uncomfortable, I really mean it… he he.

I’m going to do that same ride on the ST3 this year, should be way more comfy.
Congrats on the SS1000. I was gonna do one on my Supersport a couple of years ago -- Sacramento to Idaho and back -- but it was October and the rains came and I chickened out.

If you've already done an SS1000, you should tackle a BBG next. 1500 miles instead of 1000. After doing a Saddle Sore on a 954, doing a BBG on an ST should be no problem. :)
 

· Chilehead
Joined
·
6,870 Posts
VIVID1 said:
It probably has something to do with me being 5’5” and having the length of my arms proportional to my height
Yes, I notice that in the photos your arms are straight. Mine are always bent at the elbows, with my forearms almost parallel to the ground (and I'm only 5'9")

My ST2 has the bars lowered about 2".

Tom
 

· Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
rob said:
If you've already done an SS1000, you should tackle a BBG next. 1500 miles instead of 1000.
I’m already planning to do a BB1500, I don’t know about BBG, that will require a lot more slab than I'm willing to do.

That was the cool thing about my SS1000 run, out of the 1018 miles, only 322 miles were slab. It was a very enjoyable ride.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
VIVID1 said:
I’m already planning to do a BB1500, I don’t know about BBG, that will require a lot more slab than I'm willing to do.
I must have my acronyms messed up. Refresh my memory -- what's the difference between a Butt Burner and a Butt Burner Gold?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
Vivid .. you posted those pics in the wrong thread.. please move them or repost in the Hott Ducati women pics thread.

Mal



(you may not believe this, but it was supposed to be a compliment)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
rob said:
I must have my acronyms messed up. Refresh my memory -- what's the difference between a Butt Burner and a Butt Burner Gold?
It's Bun Burner :)

BB 1500 miles in less than 36 hours
BBG 1500 in less then 24 hours

mals900ss said:
Vivid .. you posted those pics in the wrong thread.. please move them or repost in the Hott Ducati women pics thread.
Thanks for the compliment, but I peeked in the other thread and most of those chicks don’t ride Ducatis, they stand next to them looking pretty.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
VIVID1 said:
I've done an Iron Butt Saddle Sore ride on a 954RR. (For those that don’t know a saddle sore is 1,000 miles in less then 24 hours).
1,000 miles??? How many laps is that exactly? LOL If I can't get a ticket or come close to riding off a cliff in 150 miles, I figure no sense in pushing my luck. I admire anyone who can ride cross-country. I did it. Once. For me, any travel with more than a mile or two of straight road requires a car. Or a plane ticket.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
MikeM said:
1,000 miles??? How many laps is that exactly? LOL If I can't get a ticket or come close to riding off a cliff in 150 miles, I figure no sense in pushing my luck. I admire anyone who can ride cross-country. I did it. Once. For me, any travel with more than a mile or two of straight road requires a car. Or a plane ticket.
It's about 340 laps of Daytona.
 
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top