Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a new Ducati with the 1000DS motor and a WET clutch?!?!?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Thanks for the picture of the GT1000. Best shot I have saeen so far. Looks nice, except for the cheesey rear suspension.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell just by looking that it is a wet clutch? Anyway, might be a good idea if it is the back-torque limiting design they put on the S2R. And yes, I realize how controversial that opinion is.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YellowDuck said:
Thanks for the picture of the GT1000. Best shot I have saeen so far. Looks nice, except for the cheesey rear suspension.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell just by looking that it is a wet clutch? Anyway, might be a good idea if it is the back-torque limiting design they put on the S2R. And yes, I realize how controversial that opinion is.
ACTUALLY....thank Doc for the pic....he took it at some show I am guessing in Greece....

as far as what you are calling a cheesy suspension...that is actually truer to classic design of days of old than the other sport classics IMHO....

you can tell by the clutch casing....and yes..it is a touchy topic...a dry clutch on a production street bike is one of the many marques IMHO that makes a Ducati identifyable on the street as a Ducati!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
zooom said:
as far as what you are calling a cheesy suspension...that is actually truer to classic design of days of old than the other sport classics IMHO....
Well, so would be weedy "unverted" forks, single pot calipers, and a bunch of other crappy stuff. Personally, I like the idea behind the Sport1000 and PSLE a little better - retro stuff for looks, but not where it would compromise performance.

To each their own. Hey, as far as I know that rear suspension will work as well as the single sided one, or even better. Vediamo.

Regardless, it is another beautiful bike. I had no interest in any of these retro ducs until I saw the Sport and PS in the flesh at the bike show. They are all jewel-like, and make my SS look kinda cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
zooom said:
you can tell by the clutch casing....
Educate me, how can you tell by the clutch casing!? That casing looks like every other dry and wet clutch cover that I've ever seen on a Ducati.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Turbo said:
Educate me, how can you tell by the clutch casing!? That casing looks like every other dry and wet clutch cover that I've ever seen on a Ducati.
Agreed. Pretty much looks the same as this (1000DS):

And this (900ie):

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo said:
Look at the casing of a Monster 620 or 800 and then look at the casing of a 1000DS and you'll notice the very obviously looking different removable dry clutch cover and how the casing looks different around the captured basket portion...kinda blocky in comparison!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rob said:
Agreed. Pretty much looks the same as this (1000DS):

And this (900ie):

now compare those to the wet clutch pictured here

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
OK, so with the pictures side-by-side, you can see a difference. The wet clutch cover has a larger diameter flat face and a steeper camber to the casing.

There's an easier way to tell a wet clutch as well. Just fit a vented clutch cover and if your feet get oily, you have a wet clutch! :D

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Turbo said:
There's an easier way to tell a wet clutch as well. Just fit a vented clutch cover and if your feet get oily, you have a wet clutch! :D
You can't, as wet clutches don't have (removable) covers!

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
st2lemans said:
You can't, as wet clutches don't have (removable) covers!

Tom
If it's a 'cover' and it's bolted on, I can remove it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
So that whole side plate has to come off to change the clutch?? That'll be fun!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
OK. I'm a heathen. Because I like the move towards wet clutches on Ducati street bikes. I wish mine had a wet clutch and I'm thrilled to see a Dual Spark motor pictured with a wet clutch set up.

I understand the attraction to the dry clutch signature sound. I do. But with sound regulations getting stricter, Ducati has to choose what sounds to muffle and which to allow. I'd much rather the rest of the engine be as quiet as possible so that the stock exhaust can sing a little bit more. THAT Ducati sound is more important to me than the clutch.

I know. I'm a heathen.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Hickey said:
OK. I'm a heathen. Because I like the move towards wet clutches on Ducati street bikes. I wish mine had a wet clutch and I'm thrilled to see a Dual Spark motor pictured with a wet clutch set up.

I understand the attraction to the dry clutch signature sound. I do. But with sound regulations getting stricter, Ducati has to choose what sounds to muffle and which to allow. I'd much rather the rest of the engine be as quiet as possible so that the stock exhaust can sing a little bit more. THAT Ducati sound is more important to me than the clutch.

I know. I'm a heathen.
...and a big fan of Japanese bikes by the sound of it!

The sound of a Ducati engine with a dry clutch is a lot of the appeal of owning one to me! The roar from some good pipes is excellent as well, but it doesn't sound right to me if the engine is humming along like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Hickey said:

I know. I'm a heathen.

Isn't that a moot point given that the first thing that Ducati owners change is the exhaust ?? That blows the basic sound signature totally out of the water !

Most of the Ducatis that I've owned never allowed me the music of the dry clutch until the Pantah based race bikes came out. Then we could enjoy the same music as Manx Norton, Honda racing bikes, etc. owners had a monopoly on. Nah. For me dry clutchs rock. And you are a heathen. lol

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
bevel450 said:
Most of the Ducatis that I've owned never allowed me the music of the dry clutch until the Pantah based race bikes came out. Then we could enjoy the same music as Manx Norton, Honda racing bikes, etc. owners had a monopoly on. Nah. For me dry clutchs rock. And you are a heathen. lol
As for sonic superiority, I'll take twin bevel-gear scream on top of the basso profundo of a pair of reverse-cone megs to any rubberband motor around. You ain't gonna hear ANY clutch - dry or otherwise - when the Bologna Philharmonic plays *that* tune. ;)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
MikeM said:
As for sonic superiority, I'll take twin bevel-gear scream on top of the basso profundo of a pair of reverse-cone megs to any rubberband motor around. You ain't gonna hear ANY clutch - dry or otherwise - when the Bologna Philharmonic plays *that* tune. ;)
+1 ! And shame on me.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
bevel450 said:
+1 ! And shame on me.
Glad I could help straighten this out. For a minute there, you had me worried. A man named *bevel* touting the virtues of the rubberband motors. "Say it ain't so..." indeed!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts