Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shall call him- Mini-Multi!!! After all, my 2010 is one of the few in white as well...

I've been thinking about a lighter pure playbike to add to the stable for a while, but after 7 years of the Multi motor, everything I tried seemed buzzy and torqueless. Plus not enough lighter to make a difference, ergos would need massive work (bar risers on a Triumph Street Triple RS?), etc. Then I got to try a quick ride on one of these- KTM's 690 Duke. 73 HP, 56 ft/lbs, 327 pounds dry (and 2.5 gallons of gas and 2 liters of oil don't weigh much) Light, torquey, lightning fast yet stable handling, great brakes, shifts like lightning compared to the Multi, and comfy, upright ergos. It literally feels like my Multi, in 2/3 scale. Just got back from 5 days of riding in the Western North Carolina mountains- the bike lives for fast and technical, yet was fine at 80 mph plus on the highway. The newer models have improved counterbalancing, and under 6000 RPM it was silky smooth and quite tolerable higher up. Also traction control, ABS, and 3 different fuel injection/traction maps. A bit more tiring after 3 or 4 hours than the Multi, but certainly not bad, and awesome for anything shorter. About the only complaint is the rear shock- the Ohlins on mine have spoiled me. Oh well that's what the credit card is for...Speaking of credit, KTM had .99%!!!!! financing to boot! Pretty well took away my only excuse>:)

Definitely keeping the Multi and I think going back and forth between them will be a blast.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
The seat looks really tall. I wish they made a model for those who don’t want that.

Reactions: Redbrit

·
Registered
230 Posts
Congrats! Fun bike but I could not get past the gearing on that bike. To me it felt all wrong, lol.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seat looks really tall. I wish they made a model for those who don’t want that.
Its about an inch lower than my Multi, which is lowered an inch from stock. I can get both feet planted solidly at 5'9", 30 inch inseam. It would be nice if it were a bit lower, but its so light it's just not an issue for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats! Fun bike but I could not get past the gearing on that bike. To me it felt all wrong, lol.
How so? I have see on the KTM forum that lots of people go to a larger rear sprocket. It seems to have plenty of grunt down low as it is...

·
Registered
230 Posts
First gear is rediculously tall and the spacing is weird. That motor does not like to be below 4K. It would need some gearing changes for sure IMO....:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts