Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Sargent Seats

44K views 178 replies 69 participants last post by  Idubbs 
#1 ·
I've been "pre-registered" for a Sargent seat forever. Has anyone heard from the company when they think their MTS1200 seat will be available?

#145 ·
Just got mine, great seat much more comfortable then the stock one only issue is my arse is a bit narrow for the seat but I have found a sweet spot. On the stocker I liked the cramped feel and the way it pushed me towards the tank but on longer rides this is the ticket. The red welt looks nice on a red bike, I'd say its a keeper

#149 ·
Here's a picture of mine on a Ti bike, for those that are wondering.

I haven't had a chance to ride on it yet, just sat on it for a few minutes. The build quality and fit is excellent, and it is light, albeit not as light as the featherweight stock seat. Not corbin anchor heavy at all.

#150 · (Edited)
Review after 100 miles/2 hrs...

The seat looks very good on the bike. Build quality is excellent as is fit and finish. I particularly like the carbon-fiber pattern to the vinyl which would look great on a multi with lots of CF. The rear seat creates about 20% more storage space underneath vs. stock. The seat shape is much flatter and wider than stock. If you look at the stock seat, like most bike seats it is somewhat domed or convex. The sargent is concave, or excavated, and wider. This has the effect of changing what you sit on anatomically. On the stock you sit on your coccyx, the sargent you sit on the two ischial tuberositis, or the bone of each butt cheek. Overall seat height seems slightly lower with slightly less leg room, but because the seat is wider between the legs, the leg reach to the ground is about the same or slightly higher. Not only is the seat wider at the rear where you sit, it is wider between the legs and there is more contact between the seat and the inner thigh. The foam is much firmer than stock, not as hard as a corbin, but definitely a firmer foam. Because it's firmer, more bike vibes are transmitted through the seat, particularly through the rise at the back of the rider seat. Overall it gives the bike a firmer feel over bumps. The welt or piping does not contact the rider at all and thus is not uncomfortable. I saw one member here ordered his without the piping-- not necessary.

The rear seat seems higher relative to the front, if you're like me occasionally I will slide back and sit on the front part of the rear seat, to stretch my legs, and it's higher by about an inch. The rear seat contacts my Dynamic givi mounting plate at the rear, also indicating to me that the rear seat is higher overall.

The seat seemed to move me more towards the tank. On the stock seat I tended to ride with my butt against the rear rise. On the sargent, I would side forward of the rear rise at all times except under hard acceleration. The seat vinyl seems to have a slightly lower coefficient of friction meaning you slide around a little more, also contributing to this more forward seating position.

In terms of comfort, my initial impression is that for shorter rides, say half day or less, it's probably not more comfortable than stock. I suspect for longer all day rides, the higher quality foam will compress less and create less hot spots than the cheaper stock seat foam, and thus be more comfortable. I actually find the stock seat to be quite comfortable for rides up to several hours or even all day. Cudos to Ducati in my opinion for providing a much better than average stock seat on the Duc (at least my 2012, I understand the earlier seats were less so).

People tend to defend their purchases with positive reviews, I'm trying to ignore the fact that I shelled out several hundred for this seat and be objective. Overall, I think it's a keeper for me, but mostly because the seat looks much better on the bike. It doesn't feel at first blush that it's dramatically more comfortable. Over time I suspect the cheaper stock foam will compress and degrade, so will become less comfortable over time. The Sargent will probably become more comfortable as I break it in, although I suspect that most if not all so-called breaking in of bike seats has to do with breaking in your butt rather than the seat.

Keep in mind that this is my initial impression and is based on a short 2 hr 100 mile ride and I won't really know for sure until after a couple all-day rides. As always comfort is a personal thing and one person's torture chamber is another persons perfect seat, so your results may vary.

PROS
-excellent build quality and fit
-design looks great on the bike
-at least equal comfort to the stock seat for short rides, likely more comfortable for long distance touring/all day rides

CONS
-shifts rider slightly tankward
-slightly less leg room
-I would prefer a slightly flatter or even domed sitting surface rather than concave.
-more vibrations transmitted to the rider

#154 ·
People tend to defend their purchases with positive reviews, I'm trying to ignore the fact that I shelled out several hundred for this seat and be objective.r
And I thank you for that. Your review was very informative.
I'm still on the fence with this purchase as I already purchased the DP Comfort Seat. I like the seat up to a point. It looks great and is comfortable enough (up to about 4 hours) but the material is somewhat rubbery and I can't slide on it whatsoever. I was thinking about buying the Luimoto seat cover since it has been called slippery by some...or just shelling out the dough for the Sargent.

How is the Sargent seat for hanging off a bit?

#151 ·
Just got back from a 4 day tour of the 'famous' roads in Tenessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Georgia.

On average 8-10 hours per day in the saddle on nothing but twistys.

For me, unbelievable improvement over stock. Sore 'sit bones' lasted part of the second day and then never again. Rider position was (imo) far better than stock and the 'flat' platform made moving (leaning) MUCH easier and smooth.

I disagree with the negative comments, particularly with regard to the seat pushing me towar the tank, I found the opposite to be the case.

Definitely I would HIGHLY recommend this seat to anyone who spends more than 2 hours a day in the saddle.

#152 ·
Well I also got my seats in a few days ago, went for a nice ride yesterday, much improvement over stock, took out wife today and she liked rear pillion, not that she ever complained about the stock one. seat is not higher but does spread your legs out. Between that and stiffer springs i am on my tippy toes (Im 6ft tall, 32 inseam). One possible issue is that I have alurack on my bike, and rear seat sits up against it, hopefully wont cut into vinyl over time. Im trying to not like the seats so i can return them for refund but they might be a keeper.

#158 ·
by far a big improvement over the stock seat, in fact the Sargent saddle has transformed my white MTS into a long haul champ. When I ordered the seat I asked about white piping and they did not recommend it because it would get discolored to quickly. In retrospect, they are correct on that one. I tried Corbin saddles on some other bikes I owned and they were okay but built more for style and not comfort in my opinion. The sargent saddle on the MTS is as comfortable as it gets.

#159 ·
I generally love Sargent seats, I have one on my current 900SS and had one on my last one, too. Can't beat their quality or customer service, either.

That said, I sent back my Sargent for the MTS1200. The wider section caused some uncomfortable pressure points for me and the material was a bit too slippery. Loved the way it looked.

Seat comfort is somewhat subjective and it's difficult for one shape to make everyone happy. I recommend folks in the market for a new seat try the Sargent for themselves.

#160 ·
Low profile

I bought the low profile seat because of my height . 5'8 . The stock seat kinda had me on my tip toes at traffic lgts . Sargent low seat droped me about an inch 1/4 lower which helped a lot . Way more comfortable than the stock seat , in my opinion . I ve always liked the look and feel of Sargent seats anyway . Also dig the carbon fiber look that the seat has , which matches my exaust can .

#161 ·
I bought the low profile seat because of my height . 5'8 . The stock seat kinda had me on my tip toes at traffic lgts . Sargent low seat droped me about an inch 1/4 lower which helped a lot . Way more comfortable than the stock seat , in my opinion . I ve always liked the look and feel of Sargent seats anyway . Also dig the carbon fiber look that the seat has , which matches my exaust can .
Ok, that was what I wanted to hear:). The season is almost over here in Norway, so I have the winter to order one :)

#162 ·
Update on my sargent that I've had for a couple months now. Yesterday I spent about 11 hrs straight on it. It's a good comfortable seat as I stated in my original review. Not miles better than the stock seat, but better, for me at least. It does make the bike a half inch taller for me.

#165 ·
I just ordered a Sargent front and rear as they are having some type of sale. Offering 10% off and free FedEx shipping on all orders and have some overstock seats on closeout as well. Thought I would put the info out there in case anyone was looking to pick up a set. Plan on putting the seat through its paces on a Saddle Sore 1000 in January and will report back with how it held up. For me so far the stock seat has been good around town or out on the slab for about 350-400 miles but after that its no bueno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.