Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I searched through all 4 pages of the "sargent seat" search I did but could not really find my answer. Plus the only thread I found that pertained to my bike (748) was people selling them for whatever reason. So my question is are they worth it upgrading over stock to most people? Do they make a huge difference in comfort or is it kind of split? I know seating comfort is subjective, but the "difference" between the two I was hoping would be more objective. I have found this on ebay and before buying one I thought i'd ask before dropping 300 if the general consensus is that there isn't much difference over storck:

94-03 Ducati 748 Monoposto Sargent World Sport Performance Seat YELLOW ACCENT | eBay

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like mine quite a bit. On the superbikes there isn't as dramatic a difference because there isn't as much seat to work with.

If I had to do it all over again I would purchase the seat. I use my bike to commute on a daily basis and it is more comfortable.

Sorry my review isn't "over the top" but I don't want to build up your expectations. I would still recommend getting one.........

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got a sargent on my 996

Looks great which is the main reason i got it

However, in terms of comfort, i'd say nay, its not worth the money. I'm 6ft tall and find the seat simply adds too much height due to the thick padding. It makes it harder for my legs to reach the ground, and I gain no benefit from sitting higher up.With longer rides its a real PITA because the additional padding jacks my butt up even higher, putting me too much in that forward race position which makes the 996/916/748 torture-rack ergonomics that much worse.

For regular street riding, i'd say its a toss up. the fact that the back padding is thicker as well means you find yourself sliding back and forth on the seat less (the sargent kind of locks your butt in place). Although the padding is thicker and more plush. I do not think it offers any additional comfort in terms of cushioning. at least, if so, my butt sure can't feel it

Its a tough review but my honest opinion. Buy it for aesthetics and maybe if you want to sit higher up, but for nothing else

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replies, sounds like I'll hold off then until my bike arrives and see what I'm working with. I definitely do not want any more of an aggressive riding position as the ones I have sat on are pretty brutal, I'd rather my ass be sore more than hands/arms/shoulder stuff.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I have one on my 916, it is more comfortable than stock, especially as it's rasied at the front so helps stop sliding into the tank with your nuts!

Would echo the above statement about raising the seat height to the point where 2 feet down could be tricky if you're not long-legged.

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Seat - Sargent Seat

I have one of there seats on my 1998 748s and I like it.

It looks fantastic and feels comfy as well. I'm 5' 10" / 185 lbs. and have no issues with putting my feet on the ground.

This bike has 70 series front tire so that raises it a little bit, but still not a problem.

My 2000 748 has stock seat and correct 60 series proflie tire in the front and I find it corners better and quicker. I still have no issue with either bike or seat regarding the seat.

I do not try to make the bike match my body. I try to mount and ride the bike as part of it. I adapt to the machine. It's easier for me to join em than fight em. I love the 748's and do not refer to them as torture racks. I bought the Sargent seat originally because of the yellow piping and textured saddle. And, I'm not disappointed in the feel. Extra padding is always nice and for me an inch up or down is not that critical.

The Sargent seat fits me well and I'm glad I spent the money.

I did not buy it new, but the original owner did not hurt it and thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
I have a Sargent seat on the biposto seat unit for my 998S, I use this seat unit for touring (nb most of the time the monoposto seat unit is on) as I wanted to be comfortable when going for long rides.

2 things I noticed.

1. Raised seat height up - no problem for me as 6' tall, with long legs, but for the vertically challenged person, or those with short legs could be an issue.

2. Clip on position - felt like my hands were down near the front axle and I have long arms Changed clip-ons to High rise = much better and I just drop them down the fork tubes when I change back to monoposto unit.

Is very comfortable though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When I purchased my 996, it had a leather Corbin seat that was comfortable and fit the contours of the seat pan (mono) perfectly. I replaced it with a Sargent and although the Sargent fit from an appearance standpoint was not as good, as the contours of the seat did not fit as well as the Corbin, it hold the rider in place better and keeps your nuts off of the tank as the Corbin did not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm very happy with mine (06 749). I'm 5'9" ish and it actually helps me have both feet on the ground as I didn't mess with the stock suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts