Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has the Sargent seat, please comment on if your fitment was as off as mine is. It wiggled so much that I had to stuff tons of foam underneath the seat. This is a low-cut seat fwiw.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,377 Posts
Mine is as well and fit like a glove the first time I wiggled it into place. I really have no idea why so many threads about fitment issues with sargent are arising.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure I follow your post - are you saying it was bad but you wiggled it in well so there is no issue? Because your pics show a much better fit than mine. I've played around w/ the wiggle to get a better fit (made sure that the screws near the tank catch the plastic tracks under the seat)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Join the club.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/145442-sargent-seat-issue.html

I got a reply from Sargent today, not all that helpful but I don't think they understand what the problem really is. I'm going to put together some more info and send them another e-mail this weekend. I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it without modding the seat base, and that's not gonna happen on a $400 seat...

Is your bike a 796? What year is it?

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,377 Posts
I have the 796 '11 and by wiggle I mean just find the front bolts to hook up on and wiggle the rear in the hole. I dunno, maybe I got lucky? Its an expensive seat, I'd be pissed if I had issues right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Mine is as well and fit like a glove the first time I wiggled it into place. I really have no idea why so many threads about fitment issues with sargent are arising.
Are you saying it fit fine to begin with, but doesn't now?

I got a big improvement on the way mine fit (details in the thread I linked to earlier) but it's still not great. I'm curious to see if it will revert back to the loose fit though...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying it fit fine to begin with, but doesn't now?

I got a big improvement on the way mine fit (details in the thread I linked to earlier) but it's still not great. I'm curious to see if it will revert back to the loose fit though...
Why should we have to Jerry rig the seat when paying so much!?

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,377 Posts

totally a valid question. but sometimes stuff like this happens. sargent is very adamant about satisfying their customers so im sure they'll be happy to work something out. just gotta communicate.

And no desmodog. Mine fit just fine straight out the box.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You shouldn't have to. But I figured I could sit around being pissed and probably send the seat back, or I could spend 20 minutes fixing it and then go for a ride...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yup...i didn't meant to come off crude, i was just seeing the effort you were putting in (i have none of your tools) and scratching my head, sargent should be doing this not me!

at any rate, will post up what I find out when I call them in an hour.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I didn't think you were being crude, just sharing my rationale.

So what did they tell you when you called? I sent my info to customer service and was told it was forwarded to the R&D dept. Haven't heard anything since though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a good convo w/ Mary from R&D. Took some detailed pics and video and mine was classified as "super-abnormal". I have to ship it to them and they're going to try and reupholster it and return it.

Too bad the shipping is so damn expensive!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had a good convo w/ Mary from R&D. Took some detailed pics and video and mine was classified as "super-abnormal". I have to ship it to them and they're going to try and reupholster it and return it.

Too bad the shipping is so damn expensive!
They are making you pay for the shipping?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It wasn't purchased through them but motorcyclesuperstore so I guess I'm lucky they're still honoring the warranty?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It wasn't purchased through them but motorcyclesuperstore so I guess I'm lucky they're still honoring the warranty?
A manufacturer's warranty is valid regardless of where you bought it from as long as it is an approved vendor. This is not really a warranty issue as in a product needing a repair after being owned for a while, but a blatant defect right from the factory. I don't see why you should have to pay for anything. I think it's BS actually.

I have bought two seats from Corbin and the product quality, fit, and service has been excellent. When I called them to ask questions, the guy who answered the phone talked to me like I was his best riding buddy and was very helpful.

I have not bought a seat from Sargent but my only experience with them was I was part of a pre-sale registration for my 2006 KLX250S. Then after the seat was released, Sargent reallized that it did not fit the 2006-2008s properly. And instead of notifying us, they just quietly and discreatly changed the application on their website. I and other members of the forum sent emails asking questions about this but they completely blew us off and not only did they not have the courtesy of explaining or apologizing for stringing us along but didn't even have the decency to reply to any of the emails. I am not the least bit impressed with their customer service or their total lack of it for that matter.

As I stated before, this is not really a warranty issue but a case of Sargent sending you a blatantly defective product right off the bat. They should pay all cost involved and get you the product that you paid for and rightfully deserve. Don't let them fool you into thinking they are doing you a favor. They sent you a defective product!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's arriving at Sargent on Monday. Mary feels the upholstery is so tightly stretched that the seat has warped. They're going to investigate, fix, and send back. Keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
757 Posts
as i stated before, this is not really a warranty issue but a case of sargent sending you a blatantly defective product right off the bat. They should pay all cost involved and get you the product that you paid for and rightfully deserve. Don't let them fool you into thinking they are doing you a favor. They sent you a defective product!
+1

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys,

A quick update. Basically Sargent couldn't determine how the seat became so warped but they've analyzed it and as a result made a design change. They will be shipping me a new redesigned seat and will have it by Friday at the latest. Will post new pics. I told them others might be calling in. Very good service.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts