Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Sargent Seat Feedback

10K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  CGameProgrammer 
#1 ·
Wondering who has had a chance to ride with the new Sargent seat????????? Please tell us which version, standard or low, and how it feels.

I just ordered the standard height with red welt so I hope it is the shiznit for comfort!!

Cheers

#4 · (Edited)
I took my stock height black on black Sargent out for a 40 mile ride this morning. So far I'm not thrilled with it.

Just a little info about my skinny ass... I'm 6'1" tall and weigh about 170 pounds with a 34 inch inseam.

First thing I noticed was the seat being taller. It's not just the wideness that makes it feel taller, it's literally taller toward the front near the tank. On the stock seat I was flat footed at stops. Now I'm on my toes. Not a big deal unless you've got shorter legs than I do.

Second thing I noticed that was kind of bothering me was how dished out the seat is. I felt like I was sitting "in" the bike instead of on it like the stock seat. This might be okay if you've got a bigger ass than I do, but I wasn't diggin it.

That dish in the seat also caused another problem. The seat foam on the far left and right side of the dish (see picture) was putting pressure on the back of my thighs which seemed to be cutting off circulation in my legs. Maybe it just needs some break-in... I hope.

Part of my problem is the lack of padding on my own ass even with bike shorts and leathers on. The seat is nice and wide but I still found myself squirming around trying to find a comfortable spot to sit like I've been doing on the stock seat for the past 2 years.

On the positive side, the front part of the seat is more padded toward the tank. Going into corners I like to get up close to the tank so this was a welcome addition.

For those of you with wider rears, this seat might be a perfect fit.

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see how it is on longer rides. Maybe it'll break in a little and I'll get used to it. If I only had one day to test it, it would be on its way back to Sargent already. Good thing they give 30 days.

Attachments

#7 ·
Well, I gotta say, I love mine so far. The red is much more subtle than I thought, which is cool... and the piping is pretty thin. As for comfort, it feels great... I didn't experience any of the issues our "skinnier" brothers experienced... and I'm by no means FAT. 6' 1 215lbs... other nice thing about this seat is the built in "wheelie support" where the passenger seat rises... ;) I also don't feel it's any higher than the DP race seat...

Hopefully it will continue to get even better in the long run.

See pics attached.

B

PS: I went from the DP racing seat, which I liked, but felt a bit hard in the middle... and NOT for a long day.... the sargent spreads the weight more evenly.

Attachments

#12 ·
I kinda wish they would have made a non-pillion version. It still could have supported the rider where it was needed without the dramatic definition. I guess that is why I still like the DP comfort seat best as far as off the shelf looks go.

Out!

#13 ·
Hey folks, I've had the seat (standard height, all black) just a week and done 2 short rides, here are my impressions:

First off, I HATED the OEM seat. I would get used to it after a while but then when I was off the bike (for like a couple months) and got back on, I always thought it was too soft and positioned me too far forward. As a result, I thought the bike had a hard time holding a line in turns and the balance point the seating position created was off.

So...you know what I'm going to say... I love the Sargent seat. It is wide and "bucketed" as a previous owner mentioned. However, I feel that the saddle puts you in a better position (more centered) on the bike and as a result more in control and less work to stay in control. When you accelerate quick, the butt of the saddle hold you in place and there is less pull on the bars to hold on. Same with wheelies, the seat "catches" you. Also, I think the width is a plus because the dish shape creates an edge on the outside that you can use as leverage to control bike in turns.

Some cons: It is higher than the OEM seat. I'm 6 feet and I don't think I can get both feet on the ground without using my tippy toes. At lights I have been standing off the bike and turning the bars to lower the overall height of the bike. I would not say the seat looks that great. It's looks more like a touring seat than a racing/motard seat. The looks however do not bother me. Lastly, I expected the seat to have some leather/leatherette sections. I have a Corbin for my ST and the material feels a little more durable and higher quality.

Sorry, long review here...but overall, it's a HUGE improvement over the OEM (when has an OEM ever been good?) and makes the riding position much more enjoyable and in sync with the bike.

Phil
HMS
03 ST4s

#14 ·
Thanks Phil. I'm hoping to find the same "pros" with the seat. I'm a skinny freak so I hope I don't sink into it too much!!! and I actually was looking for something a little taller for my LONG legs.

Thanks again to all for the feedback.

Cheers

#15 · (Edited)
Here's the stock seat I bought and cut/molded like one of the threads showed its easy, need help ask me. NOTE: I should have dished it more towards the end but its awsome. Anyway I sent it to Sargent and used a pic from someone who had this seat and they copied it. So send a pic of mine with your seat and they can do it. Also just to promo I got the Shift-tech hyper foot pegs and they're the best, 900.00 rearsets yeah right! use your ducatims discount!really adjustable you may need to trim the spring,ask me how also. Thnx

Attachments

#17 ·
Wow Mati. Now THAT "Sargent" seat looks perfect! I just wish they could make the seat with OUT the "welt"... I had a Sargent on my Multistrada for awhile, and I can actually FEEL that damn welt! Cuts into the backs of my legs...

#23 · (Edited)
I kinda figured the welt would get in the way so I moved the butt stop further back, if you have the race seat to compare; I moved it alot more back so I can tuck in. It's the stock foam cut to fit my needs so I did not get no foam up grade just a re-cover and it was one forty five plus a stock seat so imagine the savings! the stock and the race seat really smashed my crotch so I flattened it out and now its great!.the welt is out of the way and follows the curve of my leg. look on their custom seat options the example is #15 or something and others they pre-make. they called me to double check and they followed my instruction to the TEE!

#18 ·
I did around 200 miles on the standard-height Sargent seat yesterday and I've got a mixed opinion. The ridge between the rider and pillion section is pretty sharply defined, and it really limits your ability to move around on the seat. I've got a previously-broken tailbone, and it put pressure on that. I did get used to it after awhile though. I really liked the firmness of the Sargent, and I really never noticed any ache in my butt that I'd get on the Ducati comfort seat after a few hours (though the Ducati comfort seat definitely feels more comfortable when you first seat on it). The Sargent splays your legs a little farther apart, so if you're borderline on the Ducati seat for height, you should order the low Sargent.

If the ridge continues to bug me, I'll send it back to Sargent to see if they can smooth it out a little bit, or move the ridge farther back.

#20 ·
I may be putting my seat up for sale very soon. I've put a couple hundred miles on mine and I've decided that I just don't fit the seat... or the seat doesn't fit me. I'm probably going to do a custom seat with Sargent instead. I've found that I prefer the shape of the stock seat so I'm probably just going to have them re-do my extra stock seat with their foam and maybe slightly reshape it toward the front.

Anyone in the NY, NJ, PA area who's interested let me know. Maybe we won't have to ship it.

Black/black stock height.

#30 ·
Did slightly over 400 miles today on my new Sargeant seat and it was great. My butt could do another 400 even if the rest of me couldn't. I highly recommend this seat, This seat, along with my Fabbri windscreen and california cycles gas tank, has turned my Hyper S into a sport tourer

#32 ·
Installed the Sargent and took a 300km trip yesterday out to the track to watch a friend.

I'm 6'2" and 180lbs. Chiseled like a greek god...i wish!

I've only felt/used the stock seat, so the Sargent was 1000 times better!

With the stock seat, my ass bones would sink into the soft seat and shortly there after, my ass would sweat like crazy and have a bad case of sticky pants. The stock seat felt like there was only one position (and sometimes I would scoot all the way back to the pillion seat to stretch out).

This felt almost exactly like the seat on my 996. Dished in the right spot for my ass bones. I like the stop before the pillion section as it is perfect for unicycling. I could slide/manuever around easier, but I wouldnt say it's slippery.

I love the Sargent! I rode two hours on the way back with no stops and got off feeling I could ride all day.

Dana

#33 ·
i had a custom sargent done for me bout a year ago still love it.they followed my instructions to the t,just didnt want that steep ridge,but lowered and dished.i traded my dp race seat for a comfort seat to kingsnake on the forum so now i have best of both worlds but i seem to never use the comfort seat over the sargent.go figure:think:

#34 · (Edited)
It Arrived Today....

Well,

First Sargent forgot to ship the seat so it took a week longer than expected. :confused: When it arrived I thought it looked awesome. I mean awesome.:)

Then I sat on it and have the same complaints as the other skinny guy. The ridges on the side dig into my legs just below my arss. If they hadn't scooped the seat out so much I think it could be 10 times better. Maybe rounded the edge of the transition too. I also noticed that when I sit slightly forward on the seat that the front side alignment pins pop out of the seat pan and the front of the seat bows out.

My impression..... a full 10 on looks and a full 0 on comfort and fit on the bike.

Returning it tomorrow.:(

#35 ·
Then I sat on it and have the same complaints as the other skinny guy. The ridges on the side dig into my legs just below my arss.
Hypr- sorry to hear about it, but let me tell you, it is not just skinny guys. I am 6'2" 235 and it digs too much into my thighs to say it is comfortable. My tailbone feels much better after a 2 hour ride, but my outer thighs suffered. Did you get the regular height?

I wonder if the lower seat is any better?

#36 ·
I had a feeling the welts on the Sargent might cut into the thighs... I think they will shave the sides down if you want, but I'm not sure.

I wish Bagster would make a seat for the Hyper. Their seats look awesome. Nicely "sculpted" on the sides...

bagster.com

#37 ·
I have the standard height Sargent, and both my husband and I have tried it out. My husband loves it, so, we are going to put it on his Hype when it arrives:) He is 6'1" and 195 pounds. I found the seat to be too big/wide/deeply dished (I'm 5'7" and 100+ pounds:)lol. So, what I'm going to do is ship my comfort DP to Sargent and have them do a custom seat for me.
That is just our 2 cents worth of feedback: a +1 and a -1 :)

#39 ·
I provided this feedback to Sargent and I am working with one of their reps to possibly reshape the seat and try it again. I'll keep you posted.....

I'll give them one thing, they are responsive to the customer!

#46 ·
BTW - They just gave me a refund and didn't return emails after I sent the seat back. Oh well, guess I'll never be a customer...

#48 ·
I got my seat a few weeks ago and I'm 5'10" 150 lbs...I'm not hero haha but I love the seat. I have the low seat with red piping. I loathed the stock seat deeply, just plain uncomfortable for me. I've done some good length trips with the seat and I am completely happy with it. When I first got it I noticed the edges of the seat that seem to be bothering some people, but it turned out fine for me.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.