Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My group buy seat came in so I threw it on and snapped some shots before hitting the road. Here's an overlay showing both original and Sargent:

It's definitely taller all around, and wider near the back, but I don't feel the added height at all. It's a proper gel seat and feels amazing.

The front feels flat, but not bulbous like the DP Comfort seat, and has soft material where it touches the tank. The rear of it is much wider, which gives you a nice cup to sit in when you're leaning over going fast. Only weirdness is that the added width and "lip" around the edges makes getting your butt off a big strange. Not bad, just weird.

We hit the road immediately and rode about 50 miles of freeway and winding roads, and this thing felt amazingly comfortable. I never felt like I had to move around for comfort. The whole ride felt great! I still found myself sliding into the tank, but only because my leathers were slippery on the seat, not because of the angle (as was the problem before). This one feels much flatter.

Having tried the DP before, this seat fits me much better, and I fully recommend it to everyone who wants a more comfortable ride for long distance as well as a nice style. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Sargent looks like it should be pretty comfortable and like it will be more durable than the Ducati "comfort" seat.

Might be a bit off topic but has anyone else been disappointed by the comfort seat's lack of durability?
I've had mine for less than a year and it is showing some ugly wear on the forward, right point, if you will. The front edge area on the right side...
I also wasn't thrilled by how tacky the seat is because I find my pants kinda stick to it and as I inexorably shift forward it makes them bunch up around my dirty bits.
The Sargent appears to have a somewhat slicker cover that might eliminate some of that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It definitely feels more durable than the DP seat. The material is stronger and it "fits" the seat, rather than being stretched over it and feeling loose. It's also water-resistant :D I went for a very wet ride in the rain over the holidays and it was perfectly fine. It depends on your riding style, but sitting more upright around town, I still found myself sliding forward into the tank a bit. A lot less than with the stock seat, but still a little bit. I love it though. Wouldn't trade it for anything else :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Sargent looks like it should be pretty comfortable and like it will be more durable than the Ducati "comfort" seat.

Might be a bit off topic but has anyone else been disappointed by the comfort seat's lack of durability?
I've had mine for less than a year and it is showing some ugly wear on the forward, right point, if you will. The front edge area on the right side...
I also wasn't thrilled by how tacky the seat is because I find my pants kinda stick to it and as I inexorably shift forward it makes them bunch up around my dirty bits.
The Sargent appears to have a somewhat slicker cover that might eliminate some of that.
This is very timely for me. I was just working on the bike over the weekend and noticed that the black cover has worn off on the front top and both of the front edges on the left and right side. I was thinking about getting something else, but wasn't sure what everybody was going to. I don't really want another comfort seat since I never liked the increase in ride height in the first place so was thinking of either going back to stock or looking at the Sargent or the Corbin. I guess I'll do some searching on the forum.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Anybody have the Sargent with the pearl white welt? I am guessing that matches the white SF? If so, I might need to order one. :)

The Corbin looks nice too, but the options are staggering. I do like that there is no seam midway back on the seat from side to side though. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The seam in the middle IS strange, but I kinda like it. It's different. :)

Sargent also offers a heated version, but I don't know much about it. Very comfy nonetheless and I'd recommend it to anyone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
As long as it doesn't pull apart at the seam or feel like you are sitting on top of a garden hose I'm not too worried about it I guess. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Anybody have the Sargent with the pearl white welt? I am guessing that matches the white SF? If so, I might need to order one. :)

The Corbin looks nice too, but the options are staggering. I do like that there is no seam midway back on the seat from side to side though. Hmmmm....

Not sure about the white matching the pearl paint--but I think we may have some extra black piping coming.

Register on our website as forum members- get a discount and free shipping on the seat.

-M

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Sargent seat

I've had one on my 999 for about 2 years, bit easlyer on the date (ass) and looks 100 times better.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure about the white matching the pearl paint--but I think we may have some extra black piping coming.

Register on our website as forum members- get a discount and free shipping on the seat.

-M
Done - if you get one shout and I may pick it up.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Done - if you get one shout and I may pick it up.
I saw an extra black w/ red piping sitting on my bike. I heard that Parts Unlimited is still a couple weeks out on the all black seats (those guys are so slow on Ducati part numbers..).

If you need one, place an order online with your passwords so we can get the ball rolling. Sargent and Parts Unlimited needs plenty of lead time...

-M

·
Registered
375 Posts
A friend said the foam on his Sargent actually hardened over time. He keeps his bike garaged, so not sure what happened.

Other than that one incident, I haven't heard about any other issues. I hope my Sargent will last for years as I do love it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some photos from my wet ride:

Doesn't soak up the rain like a sponge :D

·
Bon Vivant
11,302 Posts
I love my DP seat. The covering is still perfect after 15000 miles but if it ever starts to show wear I'll just re-cover it.
Honestly, best seat I've ever had on any motorcycle including a few that were custom made for me.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I love my DP seat. The covering is still perfect after 15000 miles but if it ever starts to show wear I'll just re-cover it.
Honestly, best seat I've ever had on any motorcycle including a few that were custom made for me.
Funny how when mistasam mentioned sponge that you jumped in Mike...:rolleyes:

·
Bon Vivant
11,302 Posts
Funny how when mistasam mentioned sponge that you jumped in Mike...:rolleyes:
Ha! it does seem that way. But I've never experienced the DP seat's absorption qualities, I live in an arid state and I've only ridden the SF in the rain once. It was no big deal.
And even if it does rain here the dry air will suck the water right out of that thing in about 30 minutes after the rain stops anyway.

So if you guys need to buy a seat for underwater use the DP is probably not your best choice... ;)

A little bit of rain is probably not going to hurt anything...

But I don't care about how the seat functions wet, I care about how my butt feels after 5 hours in the seat. The DP for the SF really is the best seat I've ever used.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Ha! it does seem that way. But I've never experienced the DP seat's absorption qualities, I live in an arid state and I've only ridden the SF in the rain once. It was no big deal.
And even if it does rain here the dry air will suck the water right out of that thing in about 30 minutes after the rain stops anyway.

So if you guys need to buy a seat for underwater use the DP is probably not your best choice... ;)

A little bit of rain is probably not going to hurt anything...

But I don't care about how the seat functions wet, I care about how my butt feels after 5 hours in the seat. The DP for the SF really is the best seat I've ever used.
Comfort seat, right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have somewhere in the same neighborhood of miles on my seat so it's odd that yours is still perfect and mine isn't. I wonder if it is an apparel issue? I normally ride in jeans or textile pants - never leathers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts