Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a shop take care of a front axle and bearing issue (head shake) and on my ride home I noticed my spedo' was no longer working.....thanks.

Unfortunately, life got in the way, and 2 months later I'm finally looking at it and I am pretty sure it's installed wrong. Based on the workshop manual it looks correct, but based on every photo I find of an actual bike it's wrong.

Nice zip tie though, shows concern for this dip shit install. Well I hope it is or I'll be the dip shit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That is a pretty sharp angle, I'd guess the inner cable has broken.

t_bare

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just took it apart. I can't find any drawings of what should be going down in this area. But when I unscrewed the cable from the housing. I'm left with a hollow cable "sheath" and a little 2 inch (5cm?) long square piece of metal that is free floating and fell out onto the floor. I tried putting it all back together "loose" without all the bends, but the sped o still did not work

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
the lower white plastic mudguard mount should have a lump on the inside of it (along axle line) and the speedo drive also has a lump on it. if you rotate the speedo drive so the cable output is vertical, those two lumps touch and that's where it should be. the person who fitted the wheel wasn't paying attention to it, that's all.

unless they fitted the zip tie. in that case i'm not sure what they were thinking.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at before photos of my bike, yeah they put it on wrong then zip tied the cable. I don't know if the cable is broken or not since I don't know what it's supposed to look like anyways.

Does anyone know if that 2 inch long square "rod" is supposed to be attached to either the cable sheath or the drive itself?

Also to re-position the drive, do I need to totally remove the wheel?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm going to bet the 2 inch piece of "rod" is the speedo cable itself. If there is nothing coming out of the speedo cable sheath where it screws in to the axle housing then it is broken. There should be a 1/2 inch or maybe even more of the square cable sticking out of the sheath that you can grab with your fingers.

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to bet the 2 inch piece of "rod" is the speedo cable itself. If there is nothing coming out of the speedo cable sheath where it screws in to the axle housing then it is broken. There should be a 1/2 inch or maybe even more of the square cable sticking out of the sheath that you can grab with your fingers.
That sounds about right, I guess it's broken. What an annoying and totally avoidable problem. Damn you motorcycle shop, why!!!!!!!?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts