Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Sandia Crest New Mexico - Two Up Ride With the Bride

3254 15
Last weekend my wife and I found ourselves sans kids. Headed south to New Mexico. Santa Fe was the base and on Saturday pointed the Ducati south towards Albuquerque and the Sandia Crest. Have seen nice images and ride reports of the area. The Sandia mountains rise above Albuquerque to the east. The ride to The Crest is a 14 mile 3700ft. ascent. A tremendous road.

Brought along the camcorder for an onboard recording. Also detached it from the mount at the top. Distilled 30 minutes of recording to 6:30. First minute or so is riding through the eclectic town of Madrid. Enjoy riding through small towns. The next four minutes is the ascent of the Sandia Crest Rd., then there is a minute at the top.

Will hear cornball banter between my wife and I at the beginning and end. Also left the turn signal on once during the climb. So be it to both! :) During the Sandia ride recording there is a South African ("Breathe Sunshine") tune accompanying. The words are to/about the sun, not to a person! I'm not that mushy :eek:. However, last weekend happened to be around the 25th anniversary of our engagement. Maybe this is in honor of two-up riding. Many two wheeled memories since being newlyweds on a Honda V45 Sabre in the early 80's.

Enough syrupy background! Video and images...

Madrid, Sandia Crest, At the Top - Streaming Video

The topo. Madrid is to the NE...

From a high flying bird, note the road...

Captures, in order, from the 320x240 vid...

• Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Video

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

what a fabulous video!!! very clear and smooth

thank you!!
allen

·
Still needs a life.
12,515 Posts
Congratulations on your anniversary and another great video. What was the temperature on top? Your wife looks a little cold. And what is the story behind "The Christmas Light" town?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Guess we looked for a reason to celebrate (The engagement anniversary, not the kids gone - Haha). A different kind of vid but that's OK.

Bill... The night before as we planned the next day's ride, I noted to my wife what is called the "Turquoise Scenic Byway" and it led right to the Sandia Crest. Turquoise was a key mining activity years past, with most small towns folding over time. Madrid reinvented itself (slightly) with some artists moving in, some museums being built, and decorating itself to the hilt with Christmas lights. So I called it the "Christmas Light Town" and noted this in the vid when I saw the lights still up everywhere... visible in the daytime! Maybe they turn them on in the evening.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GordyNM said:
Nice video! The Crest is in my hood, but I have never seen a video of the ride. Last year it was snowed in, but I have been up there a few times this winter.

Thanks again!
This is a great road. Had a friend from Colorado ride NM last year and he arrived at The Crest shortly after fresh chip/seal had been dumped on the road. Very gravelly. Well, it has settled nicely. Sweet sporting two-up ride on this cool March day with minimal traffic.

Also rode through Bandelier and the Jemez Mountains, with a lunch in Jemez Springs. A great ride with my sweetie.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The Crest

I live south of the Crest and during the warm days I ride up there often. It's just one of a ton of beautiful roads in New Mexico, USA. I'm up in Minnesota right now and it was -14 degrees this morning. Thank you for the video. It warmed me up and I can't wait to get home and pull the cover off of that fire breathing red machine. 40 degrees will feel like 70. If you get a chance, take a ride between Silver City and Elephant Butte.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live south of the Crest and during the warm days I ride up there often. It's just one of a ton of beautiful roads in New Mexico, USA. I'm up in Minnesota right now and it was -14 degrees this morning. Thank you for the video. It warmed me up and I can't wait to get home and pull the cover off of that fire breathing red machine. 40 degrees will feel like 70. If you get a chance, take a ride between Silver City and Elephant Butte.
It was a great ride with the bride. Have a riding friend who has been just about everywhere in the States on two wheels and experienced NM 152 between Silver City and the Elephant Butte area last summer. He said it was possibly his favorite riding road of all time. He liked it so much he rode down from CO just to do it again. Alas, I was in the Silver City area last May, but came from the north and we cut over to Clifton, AZ to ride 191 and the Coronado Trail. Hope to see 152 this year.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It was a great ride with the bride. Have a riding friend who has been just about everywhere in the States on two wheels and experienced NM 152 between Silver City and the Elephant Butte area last summer. He said it was possibly his favorite riding road of all time. He liked it so much he rode down from CO just to do it again. Alas, I was in the Silver City area last May, but came from the north and we cut over to Clifton, AZ to ride 191 and the Coronado Trail. Hope to see 152 this year.
I took 152 by accident one time and boy was that fun. I have been wanting to go back ever since. In fact, it is on my to do ride this year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took 152 by accident one time and boy was that fun. I have been wanting to go back ever since. In fact, it is on my to do ride this year.
Yeah 152 is silly! I really want to head back down that way this fall if possible. and I still have to do the Crest though. Esp. since I live only 30 min. from it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LA-DUC... Been awhile since the recording but believe it was a cheapo Samsung MiniDV camcorder on a gas cap mount found at sportbikecam.com

That Samsung also delivered a slight rose tint to the recording. I think what helped with the clarity is I rendered the vid at a higher bit rate than what one typically sees at YouTube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.