Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish Sam was still around. AAAAAAAAAGHH AAAAAAAAGHH AAAAAAGH !!!!!!!!! FIRST, carbs leaked, then had to retune them, then had a intermittent electric problem blowing fuses. Ran GREAT Sunday. Monday, wife pointed out a wee spot on the floor. OIL . Further investigation reveals a broken cylinder stud on the front cylinder ! WHY ME ? WHAT did I do to deserve this ? A 96 is supposed to have the improved studs, right ? So, I'm back on my SuperGlide . With my luck, I'll probably find my crank plug backing out. I ordered new studs from Cali Cycle Works. What else am I going to need ?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thats some shit luck, Dude!

On the upside it could have been the vert.pot and you would have needed to drop the motor, heres hoping your crank plug is ok anyways... ;)

The '96, like my '95, had the better black studs - but they are still RUBBISH & prone to breakage...

Top stud is a "black" standard stud, bottom is a c/cycleworks stud - the standard ones are waisted to 8mm in the middle??

More prayers... hope it hasnt snapped off flush with the cases or you will need the motor out any for it to be spark-eroded... :eek:

Mine snapped off here, ironically when I was trying to remove it to upgrade to c/cycleworks studs? We got some heat on the nubbin on the inside of the case the stud screws into, welded a big nut on the stud and thank fk - it undid! :D

Try and get some penetrant down the studs as soon as you get the head nuts and washers off, they rust well (condensation?) and can make getting the barrels off difficult, I hi-temp painted the shafts of the new studs to hold this off...

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, I was thinking of painting the new ones. Thanks for the sympathy. Summer is short here and I didn't want to spend it wrenching. APE studs and an extractor for my birthday, OH BOY !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts