Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a lot of effort + time + money into finding parts and assembling my bike for inspection. I have a small dent on the tank... and they will not pass it through (the inspector said to bondo it... f** ghetto). I had bought a fairing stay from someone and they want the a copy of the title of the parts bike. How do I get around this? All parts may only come from a part bike in the junk yard form which I need title and serial or from a store... I bought a bunch of my parts from stripped down SS that were being used for racing?

Any ideas or people that might have a title for a red SS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
You're screwed

Sorry man, you're screwed here. In most sates, including the one you're in (I lived in Mass most of my life and the know the DMV laws well) , this title/VIN verification thing is a common requirement. Its done in an attempt to kill the stolen bike/car/parts market. Although its pain in the ass to deal with, it does work, and its printed clearly in the DMV handbook in the salvage section. Most states now take it to a second level too by saying that only a state approved "salvage auto reconstruction facility" can perform the work, and you must show the receipt from them too.

As far as the tank goes...yup, bondo or replace with new. Its a "safety device" in their eyes, NO dents allowed (think of a car with a dented up gas tank, not safe as it could rupture, and they really don't know the extent of the damage by just looking at it, it actually makes sense). Unfortunately most of the DMV laws aren't motorcycle specific, they're just carried over from the auto group. If you just Bondo over it and paint it, the next inspector will never see it, so it will pass (that section).

There is a trick to the VIN thing though for the parts. Find a friend with the same type of bike as you that has a good clean title. Have him photo copy it showing the VIN. Write up a fake receipt from him to you for all the parts you need "help" with.

The inspector will run that VIN just to check that its not stolen or that there are no state liens on it, and your good to go.

Buy your friend a case of beer. Then good luck getting insurance on the thing.

Unfortunately many people don't know what they're getting into when they decide to buy a salvage and otherwise compromised title bike or when they buy their own bike back after a total write off crash.

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips Project... I am going to see if the guy that sold me the fairings can provide me with a copy of the vin/title.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts