Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1299 Superleggera with a salvage title that was backed into by someones truck. The bike has been fully repaired and inspected and looks good to go. It has 2000 miles on it currently. Is this a crazy idea to buy it or no? I plan on having it inspected a Ducati dealership before doing anything of course.

Here is what was replaced according to the seller: Both side fairings, the handlebar ends, handlebars, levers, right rear set. The tail and front cowl were also professionally touched up due to some small scratches.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
99' 996
649 Posts
I have bought several bikes with salvage titles, if the work was done properly and the price reflects that it is a salvage title then go for it. Especially on newer bikes it takes so little for the insurance company to call it totaled it doesnt necessarily mean the bike isnt worth repairing. But the price aspect is a big issue for me. Even if it was repaired with all OE parts and looks like the day it left the factory having a salvage title may make it hard to move if you decide to sell it in the future. So again the price should reflect that it has a salvage title. If they want anything close to average or full retail price I would pass.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It depends entirely on what the price is. Any salvage vehicle even if its fully repaired has decreased value. The trick is figuring out how much less you should pay.

·
Registered
102 Posts
$40k.. if you're buying it to ride then that doesn't seem too bad to me. I wouldn't buy it expecting to sell it on easily though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
As per other replies, if the bike has been correctly repaired, then there should be no issues mechanically.

Having a salvage title will hurt the value at sale time and limit potential buyers, however with time this'll become less of an issue (in 20 years finding one the 500 units for sale will be difficult and by then any potential salvage repair issues will be long solved so buyers will likely have to take what they can get).

So as to buying it, if you're buying it to keep and the money is right to you - go for it. However, please consider one other thing, have you actually ridden one? or how do you actually intend to use it?

As a road vehicle the 1299SL is terrible, my one generates so much heat (I got blisters on my legs), I won't ride it when the air temperature is above about 20C (say 70F). Further, the engine hates to run below about 3,500 rpm, so all riding is in first or second, and the fancy carbon swingarm is wider than the aluminium one on the regular bikes, so either you ride with your toes on the footpegs or have your ankle twisted at a funny angle - yeah this is about the worst road bike I ever owned (and I have a few shockers).

However, put the bike on a track or through a nice sinus country road - everything just works. In this environment, there is no better place to be; the handling is sublime since the lack of weight (especially rotating) gives incredible agility and feedback as the bike slides up and down the gears with each successive bend - in these circumstances the 1299SL one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

One other feature I consider an advantage but you may consider a detraction is while the bike is incredibly unique and special, to the average rider the 1299SL is just another Ducati Panigale (not something that cost about 4 times more than the base model). If you want to stand out in the crowd to bikers that are not "anoraks" there are better machines.

Ultimately because the ride experience is so polar, I'm continuously frustrated by my 1299SL (really bad to and from the twisties, great when there) and as a result I only tend to ride mine a couple of times year (and no I don't want to sell it - I still like the bike). What I'm ultimately saying is make sure you also have a more sensible ride of ride for the other 363 days in the year.

Andrew...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Which would you rather have? A salvage titled 1299 Superleggera or a non-salvage titled 1199 Superleggera with comparable miles for $1K less. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Ducati-1199+Superleggera-5019373105 Is the 1199SL which I linked to a great deal? I don't think so. If it isn't a great deal, is the salvage titled 1299SL a great deal?

As a rider the 1299SL seemingly makes a lot of sense, but the inability to insure a salvage titled bike for collision means a crash would be expensiv. Aggressively riding the 1299SL is going to be more financially risky than riding a clean title bike with collision coverage. For resale, potential buyers are going to be limited to those who can purchase without financing since financing requires comp and collision coverage.

Today, the case could be made for the 1299SL as the market for them is significantly higher than the market for the 1199SL. 20 years from now, I think the consensus would be anyone buying the 1299SL instead of a clean titled 1199SL made a big mistake.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
a motorcycle with a salvage title is worth 1/2 of what one with a clean non-salvage title is worth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I looked at this bike myself but I believe the market and resale will be REALLY tough if and when you went to sell.

The people buying these level of bikes want the best. The people that would consider it and can buy it are very limited, IMO.

Then I would say I would have less concern about a branded title bike vs car…….except ones with carbon frames and swing arms.

That’s just me.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
To my knowledge, salvage titles are usually issued if the repairs are above 60-70% of the market value.

To me, the replaced parts and touched up paint (cheap cheap cheap) doesn’t add up to the 60-70% repair value.

Most likely the aluminum frame or motor mounts are “damaged” and that deemed it salvageable.

AFAIK, most insurance companies don’t repair bikes if any Al frame parts are damaged.

+1 what Rennsport said; I wouldn’t pay more than 50%, even if it’s repaired properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Dropping a bike like that in a parking lot can total it just in replacement OEM parts alone due to cost.
Any bike with a salvage title is worth 1/2 of retail to any lender....buyers on the other hand with cash anything can happen.

Cosmetically that bike looks great did you look at the steering stops on the goosneck to see if they have been welded back on or straigtend before repainting? That alone totals a bike on the spot because it now needs a frame replacement even if there's not a scratch on it anywhere else.

$40,000.00 bikes bring out the creeps thinking they can make a quick buck stumbling into a bike @ auction nobody was looking for or they tossed out a 2k bid just for fun & nobody else even bothered bidding especally a bike like that.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Dropping a bike like that in a parking lot can total it just in replacement OEM parts alone due to cost.
Any bike with a salvage title is worth 1/2 of retail to any lender....buyers on the other hand with cash anything can happen.

Cosmetically that bike looks great did you look at the steering stops on the goosneck to see if they have been welded back on or straigtend before repainting? That alone totals a bike on the spot because it now needs a frame replacement even if there's not a scratch on it anywhere else.

$40,000.00 bikes bring out the creeps thinking they can make a quick buck stumbling into a bike @ auction nobody was looking for or they tossed out a 2k bid just for fun & nobody else even bothered bidding especally a bike like that.
OP was very specific what was replaced:

“….Both side fairings, the handlebar ends, handlebars, levers, right rear set. The tail and front cowl were also professionally touched up due to some small scratches…”

That doesn’t add up to 60% of the bike’s value to total it.

I bet it has some “cosmetic”, at least what the current seller would call it, frame or engine damage.

·
Registered
765 Posts
OP was very specific what was replaced:

“….Both side fairings, the handlebar ends, handlebars, levers, right rear set. The tail and front cowl were also professionally touched up due to some small scratches…”

That doesn’t add up to 60% of the bike’s value to total it.

I bet it has some “cosmetic”, at least what the current seller would call it, frame or engine damage.

All I suggested was look @ the steering stops, EVERYBODY looks at parts replaced list & how good the curb appeal is but forgets that one spot nobody even thinks of before some asshole like me points it out then I'm the dick head for finding it under all that pretty never needed replacing in the first place body work.

·
Premium Member
6,452 Posts
Which would you rather have? A salvage titled 1299 Superleggera or a non-salvage titled 1199 Superleggera with comparable miles for $1K less.
I can't stand the exhaust on the 1299... The Panigale was designed from the outset for conformal, under engine exhaust. I don't give a shit how fast it is, how rare it is, etc. etc... aesthetically, any exhaust setup other than that looks like a total kludge.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I suggested was look @ the steering stops, EVERYBODY looks at parts replaced list & how good the curb appeal is but forgets that one spot nobody even thinks of before some asshole like me points it out then I'm the dick head for finding it under all that pretty never needed replacing in the first place body work.
I requested pics. Should have them today!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Not calling you any names here.

Just pointed out that the listed replaced parts do not total the bike.

I agree with you that most likely a frame damage (scratch, bend or major) caused the salvage title.

To the OP, imho $40k is way too much for the bike.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts