Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear turn signals are drooping like old lady. The stalks must have softened and slowly began to bend via the magic of gravity. It looks fairly awful.

Can anyone recommend a somewhat stock looking aluminum / plastic / etc aftermarket replacement. I dont want some 1/16" LED crap cagers cant see until they are 5ft away. Ideally they would keep the incandescent bulb setup.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Try some soft music,dim lighting and stroke them lightly.Maybe they will straighten out. If that fails Lockhart Phillips and most of the online parts stores list plenty of replacement signals.Many have incandescent bulbs and are easy to connect.

·
Registered
763 Posts
turn signals fix. . .

What bike are you talking about? Got any pictures? Try taking them apart and maybe you can just tighten them back into position! Be brave and investigate the matter, maybe you will be the better for it.

chow
Fred

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Try some soft music,dim lighting and stroke them lightly.Maybe they will straighten out."

ROFL - hahaha!!! Its exactly like turn signal E.D. - the stalks are actually bent, they are on there plenty tight. Maybe it sat in the hot sun one too many times and they softened up enough to bend. Its weird.

This is on a 1995 900ss - so, Im guessing 13yrs is long enough for them to warp a bit.

Wish I had a pic, Ill see if I can snag one. Theyve dropped about 1/2" from level at the ends. It just looks weird. At least my dads 1978 honda had aluminum turn signal housings ;). Of course its not quite as fast.

I was considering just cutting the stalks down and reattaching them. Im not afraid to get my hands dirty. I revalved & resprung the front forks, did valve adjustments, etc. myself. Im no pro - but turn signals dont scare me. They are on plenty tight just checked em' last night.

Ill likely just end up with some universal fit turns with shorter stalks from LP. They arent bad. I like the oberon units but a bit small for my liking. My main problem is that I think clear / smoked lenses on turns is ghetto, and best reserved for some 17 year olds $600 honda. Ideally they would have a "crystal" clear orange lens, black aluminum housing and be about 10-20% smaller than stock. Im too damn picky. Ill keep hunting around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you swap sides, meaning put the left one on the right and vice versa, then the "sag" would be UP instead of Down... that might be nice...:eek:

·
Registered
255 Posts
"My main problem is that I think clear / smoked lenses on turns is ghetto, and best reserved for some 17 year olds $600 honda.

+1... but 17-year olds generally ride new CBR600RRs... bought brand new by their parents or with an "affordable monthly payment" :rolleyes:

Cheers

d.

ps I replaced by turnsignals with tasteful (I reckon) aftermarket items...

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
If you look over at desmotimes.com, LT has some new shorty stalks for $5.75 a pair. No lenses or wiring, just the mounts. Click on New Products, you'll see them.

BTW, I did install the clear lenses he sales on my ST. Looks pretty good, IMHO. Those are the standard stalks.

Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dienstuhr - where did u pick yours up from? they definately maintain some degree "stockness" which is exactly what i was looking for - just a very subtle upgrade.

tonered - the clears on yours dont look bad at all. i like the fact that they have a slight orange tint to them still. when people do the clear on the front signals as well, it ties the whole deal together nicely. of course, something like style is highly objective and personal. ive always liked the ST's, nice ride. thanks for the heads up on the desmotimes shorter stalks too. that may solve my problem all together. and its cheap - which appeals to my dutch heritage.

as far as flipping them, LOL. nice.

im considering these:
http://www.motosport.com/street/pro...695%3F&catalogId=113499&segment=badger-street

or these:
http://www.motostrano.com/601ledtusi.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got some new in the package that I'm looking to get rid of.

If you're interested, I can take some pics when I get home.

I think they are Lockhart Philips and I'm pretty sure they're aluminum.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Thanks. She's my baby, but needs to shed some battle scars some day.

The lenses wisely came with amber bulbs. If they didn't I would have purchased some. The folks that go with clear signals on clear lenses should be busted. ;)

I believe those work well with the front of the ST since the lenses are clear with an inset amber lens.

Dutch heritage. Nice. I must have some in me also. Although, I had a cheap contest once with Desmo_Demon and handily lost. =P

If it matters, I do like the LP ones in the link.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep the scars - that way people know you arent messing around ;). At least thats my philosophy - keeping a bike thats actually ridden pristine is way too hard. I have a 5/15 rule. from 5ft away at 15mph - if it looks good, good enough. this stems from the 20/20 rally car rule. at 20 ft away, 20 mph the car should look decent.

I admire the LP ones myself, and it will likely be what I end up with. Ive been hunting a bit for a fender eliminator for this bike as well. Ive had it a few years, but these minor stupid cosmetic bs things are digging at me lately for no apparent reason. Likely because my next significant upgrades will be painfully expensive (fcr's, dynacoils, flywheel, spaghetti exhaust).

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Thanks again.

For some reason, nothing I have stays prinstine for long. WTF?

Well, the 5/15 rule does require that my grey headlight fairing must be painted blue. ;) I do miss the bike in full blue-ness, though again folks seem to think the two tone "scheme" looks good. :crazy:

20/20, I like that. I wish there was rallying in the US beyond Pikes Peak. WRC is not doing so well these days either. Bummer. I'm crossing fingers for some good production class racing other than NASCAR and F1. Speedworld Challenge is getting close, but Speed TV doesn't want to cover it very well?!

Also, take a look at the Modification section at desmotimes. There's a fender eliminator there for all of $25. I use it in the summer on my ST. I had to drill two holes for the ST, but I think it is a direct fit for the SS.

Edit: the fender eliminator is for the 98+ SS. Sorry.

I have my eye on a few more things, but I'm trying to stay happy with the shape she's in. Maintenance keeps me busy enough. I've been holding off on a vented clutch cover for a while. The ones LT has with the old Duc logo cutout would be perfect.

Have a good one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts