Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the bike scene for 10 years. Just got back in with the impulse purchase of an 01 ST2. 10 years ago I was T-Boned by a young lady claiming she did not see me.

Looking at the situation from her perspective I can see why. Sun right behind me late in the afternoon, headlight on... expecting to see a car.

Fast forward 10 years and everyone has cell phones super-glued to their hands, kids screaming in the back seat, burrito microwaving in the glove box.... where was I... Are strobes legal?

Thinking of placing white super bright LED strips around the front forks, just above the front fender and hooking them to a strobe module, pulsing about once every other second.

I'm in Texas. I'm sure these regulations differ widely, even by county or city ordnance.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm particularly interested in adding a rear strobe, like what F1 cars run in the rain - just this pulsing, very bright red single strobe light.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I get around to it I will be adding this to my bike. Its not a constantly on strobe but will strobe when you apply the brakes.

FL2S-10A Brake Light Strobe Module

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I'm particularly interested in adding a rear strobe, like what F1 cars run in the rain - just this pulsing, very bright red single strobe light.
Any light red, except the brake light, will get you in trouble in Georgia.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Strobes?, flashing tail lights?, super bright LED's ....... come on guys, did you not read the "faux pas" thread the other day? Why not a day-glo vest with maybe a flashing beacon on your helmet? lol

·
Registered
395 Posts
I wear a day-glo riding jacket (BMW Airshell jacket). Yes it is ugly. Yes this unfashionable jacket can be seen a mile away. And that is exactly the point.

I saw a bike the other day with a strobing rear brake light. It caught my attention...and I think that is also exactly the point.

Bikes made to look like UFOs are horrific. But they do stick out like a sore thumb. There is a way to add some safety lighting, and getting slammed by a cage who "didn't see you"...sucks. And it happens ALL the time.

So is the "correct" Ducati appearance to have stock lighting and shiny unscuffed Dainese leathers? More power to you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Love it BluST2.

Kismet, at least you won't stick out like a sore thumb with the BMW crowd.

:)

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I wear a day-glo riding jacket (BMW Airshell jacket). Yes it is ugly. Yes this unfashionable jacket can be seen a mile away. And that is exactly the point.

I saw a bike the other day with a strobing rear brake light. It caught my attention...and I think that is also exactly the point.

Bikes made to look like UFOs are horrific. But they do stick out like a sore thumb. There is a way to add some safety lighting, and getting slammed by a cage who "didn't see you"...sucks. And it happens ALL the time.

So is the "correct" Ducati appearance to have stock lighting and shiny unscuffed Dainese leathers? More power to you.
There is not a single thing wrong with hi vis colors. I was hoping my new helmet came in hi vis, but sadly, it is one of the very few aspects on the negative list.

For the bike, I feel that a pulsing brake light (3-5 pulses then steady) and small LEDs to large driving lights work great. I absolutely abhor the headlight flashers. They are immensely distracting and given the driving attitudes around here lately, I'd say that they might put you at more risk of someone coming intentionally at you. Yes. It is shocking that it is really getting that bad.

Okay, I also detest the H-D light bars where the outer two lights are focused squarely on my eyes also.

Have a good one.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
I... Are strobes legal?

Thinking of placing white super bright LED strips around the front forks, just above the front fender and hooking them to a strobe module, pulsing about once every other second.

I'm in Texas. I'm sure these regulations differ widely, even by county or city ordnance.

Thoughts?
I know you're in Texas...but here in Massachusetts they are most definitely, clearly, and unconditionally illegal.

If you go the "headlight modulator" route...while that is legal in all the states... I know of several people who have had to debate the definition and differences between "alternating" and "modulating" headlights with LEO. :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts