Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm shopping around for a set of saddlebags to put on my '08, and I'm wondering which saddlebags other folks are using..... so, which saddlebags are you using, and how you like them?:). Pics would be great!

I'm looking at these soft Givi's (I think they look really cool:cool:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/901/191/

I also like these Wolfman's....
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Saddle/summit_saddle_bags.html

My husband likes the Cortech's
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Sport-Saddlebags-p-149_31.html

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Here are a few pics of the Speed Pack on my HYM:
Whoa, that thing is huge! I bet the storage space is nice though. Does it stay pretty well in place when all loaded up and strapped down?

I have the Cortech bags and am mostly happy with them. I had to make a little support bracket to keep the right bag from touching the exhaust pipe (the section before the silencers) but I'd imagine that would be an issue with most bags. In some places the stitching seems a bit week. I don't know why they didn't tape the seems to make them a bit more weather resistant. Overall, decent for the money.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I need to get a set soon as well. I have the LV exhaust and have to deal with hot pipes on each side. I think some high temp pipe insulation will do the trick. The Cortechs are nice, the Wolfmans a bit better quality.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Cortech bags and am mostly happy with them. I had to make a little support bracket to keep the right bag from touching the exhaust pipe (the section before the silencers) but I'd imagine that would be an issue with most bags. In some places the stitching seems a bit week. I don't know why they didn't tape the seems to make them a bit more weather resistant. Overall, decent for the money.
Yes, the Cortech seems like a decent choice. Nice and lightweight too:)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I need to get a set soon as well. I have the LV exhaust and have to deal with hot pipes on each side. I think some high temp pipe insulation will do the trick. The Cortechs are nice, the Wolfmans a bit better quality.
1. Do you think a CF exhaust heat guard from Shift-Tech would work as far as protecting the bag on the right side?
http://www.shift-tech-carbon.com/shop/

So, you like those Wolfman's, eh? What do you think about the Wolfman versus the Givi as far as quality is concerned ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've been thinking about getting those Cortech bags myself. I have a Cortech tank bag, and like the quality.....;) I guess it all depends on how much space you need, and what you like.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I've been thinking about getting those Cortech bags myself. I have a Cortech tank bag, and like the quality.....;) I guess it all depends on how much space you need, and what you like.
HE LIVES!!!!!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Daisyup, I see in your signature that you have a Moto Fizz tail bag. I've been lookin' into getting one of those.What size did you go with and how do you like it?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Bags Connection stuff is well made and I can have the bags off in under two minutes, they stay put as well when mounted. Yeah they can hold a lot of stuff. The top bag comes off if I choose to ride with just the saddle bags.

I just happened to have them laying around the garage, they were on my Blackbird.

It's pretty hard to find just the right bags and the Hyper makes it even harder because there is no graceful way to firmly secure the bags. The Bag Connection stuff mounted pretty securely so I have kept them....it's not pretty but it is functional and carries all my camping gear.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Daisyup,

My issue is that the LV exhaust is a 2-1-2, so there is a hot pipe on each side. Anything to insulate the short section of pipe would be fine, even if its ugly, because it would only be used when I use the bags and be hidden by the bags, purely functional. For the stock exhaust you have to check the coverage of the heat shield vs. the bag your choosing.

My neighbor has the Wolfman bags on his BMW. They are made very well, but honestly the Cortechs look nicer on the bike, are cheaper, and I'll probably go that route. For the amount of traveling I do on the Hyper they will hold up fine. I have never seen the Givis in person.

I have a question regarding saddle bags on the Hyper: I have no use for the passenger pegs and removed them with the brackets. I see in Big Hoss's pics the botttom of the bags are tied to the peg brackets. I hope this is not neccessary with the Cortechs.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
i too have the Cortech Tribag System. it comes with straps that you loop around your frame, and then the straps on the bags attach to those via plastic buckles.

i'll add that they worked well on a recent weekender (easy on/off).

see ya

·
Registered
377 Posts
i too have the Cortech Tribag System. it comes with straps that you loop around your frame, and then the straps on the bags attach to those via plastic buckles.

i'll add that they worked well on a recent weekender (easy on/off).

see ya
I have the coretech sport tail bag and love it. I just ordered the saddle bags to go with it and they all latch together (tribag like oalvarez mentioned.) If the saddlebages are anything like the tail bag I dont think you can beat it. Total cost for all is about $190US.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Daisyup,
My neighbor has the Wolfman bags on his BMW. They are made very well, but honestly the Cortechs look nicer on the bike, are cheaper, and I'll probably go that route. For the amount of traveling I do on the Hyper they will hold up fine. I have never seen the Givis in person.

I have a question regarding saddle bags on the Hyper: I have no use for the passenger pegs and removed them with the brackets. I see in Big Hoss's pics the botttom of the bags are tied to the peg brackets. I hope this is not neccessary with the Cortechs.
Hi Glenn- Thanks for the feedback on the Cortech's looking nicer on the bike, that is good info for me to know.... (I sure like that Wolf logo, darn!:)lol

I also have no use for the passenger pegs, but, I'm leaving them because I'm assuming I might need them for the strapping my saddlebags.... they aren't just pegs anymore, they are "saddlebag posts";) lol

I wonder if there is a part of the trellis frame you can use instead of the pegs?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check out RKA Products. They are in Northern California (Santa Rosa area I think) and could possibly make a custom set of saddlebags.

Come to think of it, I'll give them a call. I don't like the tank saddlebags that are available form Ducati.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts