Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 HyperSP. I changed the oil Friday night. Ran it up to temp and checked for leaks, all good. Shut it down and parked it. Saturday morning wouldn’t start. Still won’t start. It turns over. I’ve verified that I’m getting a spark and it will sometimes back fire. So I know I’ve got spark and gas. Tried a jump pack and a new battery. Checked all electrical connections and fuses, all good. WTH?! Any thoughts? Anybody experience that sudden failure to start?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hmm sounds like it is either starved of air or gas- open the fuel cap and try starting again. If she kicks over i'd guess its either breather hose or evap canister preventing your fuel from being sucked into the engine. Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hmm sounds like it is either starved of air or gas- open the fuel cap and try starting again. If she kicks over i'd guess its either breather hose or evap canister preventing your fuel from being sucked into the engine. Worth a try.
Yeah, or the ignition kill switch is in the off position.....or not functioning correctly. Seen that happen any number of times over the years.....sean

·
Registered
75 Posts
So true, you really feel stupid when you realize the kill switch is in the off position. On newer bikes, however, this is not possible, as the starter and the kill switch are the same switch.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Any news? Did you find the problem?..
seriously, your describing exactly what happened to me this past weekend:oops: same bike too, 14 SP

I’m looking into the problem but with 3 kids it’s hard to find time to work on the bike. Please let us know if you find the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar thing happen and for me it was actually the Timing Sensor. It suddenly stopped working and my bike would crank and crank but i believe it had no spark. Hypertonto, check if you have spark!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, let me apologize. The situation degraded so quickly I failed to revisit the forum and followup with the questions. Sorry.

I broke the bike down and double checked wire harness and verified fuel/spark at both cylinders. Pulled the Rapid Bike EVO and harness out, took a peak in the air box and put it all back together. Nothing, no change, crank and crank and no go. So off to the dealership I went. The stealership diagnosed the issue as a bad starter. Said it wasn't cranking fast enough. Whatever. Sure. Damn expensive! So I had them do the Desmo service while they had it. When I went to pick it up it fired right up ran great. I sure couldn't tell any difference in the sounds of the starter but again, whatever. So I'm standing there at the service desk and I'm thinking, damn it's never gonna be worth more than it is right now! So I traded it in for a 20 SP. :) sometimes you have to just say F it. I'll miss the 821! It looked soooo good.

Peace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts