Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both ends of my bike seem to be too stiff. I have copied down the part number from the spring that is on the bike, but neither the owners manual or workshop manual state the rate or part number for the stock spring. Does anyone know what comes on them ? Also, does anyone have a link to a rear shock spring calculation chart ? All the links I found on the web guide me to sites that won’t actually calculate the rate needed. I just need to see if I’m even in the ballpark for a 180# rider. If anyone has changed the rear spring, what do you weigh and what rate did you end up with ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just a thought but You could try checking the racetech site. They have a spring rate calculator page that will give you their recommendation for your bike/weight as well as the oem spring rates so you can compare.
Www.racetech.com/vehiclesearch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I weigh about 185 and on my S2R1000 I’m running an Ohlins 34. The 34 is a 100nm or 10.19kg or 571lb spring

This was recommended to me by the guys at Motowheels and I find it perfect for fast street or track use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
143 Posts
I´m about 63 kg, and use a 95N/mm spring. I once tried an 85 N/mm spring, definitely too soft for me.

However, I also have the S4RS shock on my M800, and that shock, like many Öhlins shocks, is quite stiffly valved. I have softened the valving quite substantially, and that made a huge difference in comfort.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the Racetech site, and after filling in all the data, it says “call”. I couldn’t even find a chart showing Ohlins spring part numbers and specs. Every search I tried sent me to websites that sent me back to the search. At least now I can use the info you all have shared with me to have an idea of whether my spring is too strong, or rather , by how much.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Check your static and loaded sag, if these are outside spec then think about what spring you need, if they are in spec adjust comp/rebound to suit. plenty of tutorials on the WWW.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already checked sag, nzd, hence the quest for the proper rate spring. I first must know where I am in order to get to the right place.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The first step in determining if your springs are the correct stiffness for your weight is to measure the front and rear ride height of the bike.

The second step is to position yourself on the bike while wearing full gear and have an assistant measure the front and rear ride height of the bike again.

The amount that the ride height should decrease when you get on the bike is 20 mm in the front and 30 mm in the rear. Note that this change in ride height is unaffected by the amount of spring preload.

If you get more movement you need stiffer springs, if you get less, you need softer springs.

How much do you get?

(If and when you get the correct springs installed you need to adjust the preload on the springs to get the proper ride height.)

·
19,081 Posts
Your spring should have markings on it like the picture I posted. If it doesn’t give the guys and Motowheels a call. They are really nice people and will be able to help you out with what you need.

·
19,081 Posts
The amount that the ride height should decrease when you get on the bike is 20 mm in the front and 30 mm in the rear. Note that this change in ride height is unaffected by the amount of spring preload.

Sorry but this is so wrong. Preload most definitely affects ride height.

Maybe you’re thinking that preload doesn’t affect spring rate.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The ride height CHANGE due to rider weight is unaffected by spring preload because (as you point out) spring rate is unaffected by spring preload.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The numbers are on the Ohlins spring. I was curious about whether the rear spring is stock because it appears the front are not stock. I weigh 180# and front sag is 15 mm with no preload . I am waiting for a pin wrench to get here so I can find out what’s in there. I’m the third owner. The second owner was lighter than me and did nothing to the bike, all mods were from the first owner. I have no idea what weight rider the bike is sprung for. I read that they are sprung for two up from the factory, which I’ll never do. Therefore the spring might be too stiff in rear. I plan to change it if that’s the case. It may never ride like a Cadillac, but it shouldn’t ride like dump truck either.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The numbers on my rear spring are 01092-36/105 L156. It appears from what I’ve read so far my spring is too stiff for street only on crap roads.

·
19,081 Posts
Dude, I’m sorry but you seem to be lost in space.

Listen carefully. If you, with an assistant, check the sag carefully following the correct procedure, that will tell you if the springs are correct for your weight or not and which way to go if not. No matter what they currently are.

If you don’t know how to do that or interpret the results do a search. It’s been discussed over and over.

·
19,081 Posts
The numbers on my rear spring are 01092-36/105 L156. It appears from what I’ve read so far my spring is too stiff for street only on crap roads.

Yes. That’s an extremely stiff spring for your weight. Like I said earlier I weigh a little more and a 34 is perfect for very fast riding one up. The 36 would be ok for two fairly large people.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t know why you would say that, Duckman. What have I said that made it appear that I was confused ? The spring rate on my spring is 36, and a 185 # rider has stated he was advised to use a 34 and it has worked well. Where am I going wrong ?

·
19,081 Posts
Go for it.

If you go for the 34 rear match it with fork springs between .85 and .95 depending on how you ride. Be honest. .85 for street and .95 for track or very fast street.

I’m out of here. :)

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yea, that was YOU that uses a 34 at 185# for “very fast riding “ ! I think you’re TRYING to confuse me !

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I would, but he wasn’t very specific. I started with the factory settings, and I’ve backed the compression damping off , but didn’t notice much difference. I’m guessing I may not feel a real difference until I get the correct rate spring. You have to be using travel in order to notice damping changes, and I don’t think the shock is moving much right now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts