Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for a new chain. I can find the correct 525 size that is on my bike, sealed chain, supposedly super extra heavy duty prestretched racing chain , but when I read the specs it’s rated for up to 900 cc, around 9000 psi. Is this ok ? Does anyone know the correct chain designation for a strong enough chain for this bike ?

·
comrade moderator
27,184 Posts
It's fine. Any name brand (DID, EK, RK, Regina, etc) 525 chain will work great. Don't get distracted by those engine size rating and tensile strength charts unless you're going drag racing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
.The chain manufacturers recommend 520 chains for 750-900cc bikes and 525 chains for 1000cc bikes on the road. A 525 chain is wider, with thicker plates, so it’s about 10% stronger than a 520 chain.

Ducati installs/specifies a D.I.D 525HV chain standard on its liter displacement bikes that has a tensile strength rating of 9,120 lb. See page 76 in your Owners Manual.

The 525VX is (currently) D.I.D.'s premium X ring chain that is the equivalent to the OEM (only) 525HV version. The VX has a slightly higher tensile strength rating, (9,220 lb.) The weights are identical.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I replaced the stock chain on the misses 1100s, I found somewhere that the stock Regina chain is rated at 8600lbs. The chain I replaced it with (EK) is rated at 9300lbs Don’t forget to change your sprockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'll admit to being a chain newbie (this bike is the first one I've had since I was 20 that has a chain), but what's a "prestretched" chain?

I thought the chains got longer due to metal-on-metal wear in the links.

And just to prove what a gumby I am with chains, let me just say that I had some drama getting a new rear tyre fitted last week. After a few attempts by the tyre shop to find a tyre that would actually fit without touching the front of the swingarm, they asked me if I had replaced the chain recently. I replied sure, just the other week...

Guess who made the chain too short - long enough for the worn tyre, but too short for a new one to fit. Duh....

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never had reason to worry about it before, non of my bikes were high enough horsepower to make it an issue as long as I bought a name brand. I’ve never had a chain failure on a street bike. I just happened to notice that 900 cc rating and it made me wonder. The 900 cc rated chains are certainly quite a bit cheaper than the 1300cc rated chains, but I may buy the bigger one anyway. Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do you volunteer that you were speeding when you get stopped too? :)
Only when I was speeding just so I could get to the hospital to visit my dying mother before she passed away... otherwise I'll admit to nothing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Double check what is currently on the bike too. If you are not the original owner some people did a 520 conversion for weight savings.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
525, 104 pins is what is on the bike , with 14-43 gearing which seems about perfect for me. Sprockets look almost new so the chain may be fairly new also, but I had a seized link and several more that seem stiff. I’m going to replace the chain and I’ll clean it and free it up and see if it’s worth saving. Not sure about the cause of the seized link. Must be decent quality, I’ve only adjusted it once in two years. Maybe it was prestretched !

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I will also throw in DO NOT buy the cheap amazon/ebay chains as I have had 2 come through the shop that brand new (zero miles) did not last through 10 runs on the dyno without stretching badly every run. To some extent you get what you pay for but there should be a happy middle ground where you are not paying for exotic chains that are designed for lighter weight or super high hp. Also keep in mind "racing chains" might not be what you want as racing chains get changed much more often than you will want, parts are cycled out in racing you do not run to the point of them being worn out like most street bikes do.

I also would only recommend a rivet type link, Ducati's have a bad habit of chucking clip type links and if you do often the chain breaks the engine cases. If you m,ust use a clip type be sure to safety wire or fix the clip some how.

·
Registered
336 Posts
A little reading is a good thing. The manual tells you how many links are in the chain for your motorcycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Indeed it does! Just read that my bike should have "97 + 1 joining link".

Bike's too hard to get to tonight to count how many I've ended up putting on, but I'm curious so see if mine actually is. I dropped a couple of teeth from the rear sprocket, and curious to see if it's still the same count.

Still haven't heard about what "pre-stretched" equates to...

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Prestretching is the loading of a new chain, ... This preloading is meant to duplicate a normal load pattern to the chain during operation and it takes out some of the normal clearances that are present in the chain immediately after chain assembly.

If you went down two on the rear you would have extra length on a stock chain.

Here is a site that will allow you to input gear changes and will tell you chain length needed.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plenty of brand name chains on eBay. DID, Regina, JT. Not sure how good Bikemaster, RK, or EK are supposed to be . The boxes are pretty.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found the cause of the seized link. DID chain. It had two seals missing on opposite corners of the link. Those were the only seals missing on the chain and they weren’t next to the master link.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your chain press is the type that uses a ball to compress the link end, what diameter ball does the job as it should ? I have tried using a smaller ball end followed by a larger one but I wasn’t happy with the results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts