Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my tank replaced the other day, recall from Ducati. Bike is new to me so I only have put few tanks of gas thru her...
I was riding, the other day to have the local Duc shop adjust my chain, but never made it. The bike all of sudden quit 10 miles before I got to the shop. I call AAA for gas and ending up towing her home. When I turn on the key, I hear a hum, so I guess I have power to the fuel pump. I pulled the tank the next day and hoses are good, no splits or popped off. What do I look for next?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Fuel Filter? Bad gas? When you say quit, does it just die out completely similar to an electrical cut-off or does it sputter and die as in bad fuel delivery?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike just stopped running, I tried to restart, all that was happening was it ran at about 2k rpm for a few seconds and then died. I applied the throttle and no increased rpm. It seemed like it was getting gas because it would run, kind of. I thought I had a split hose inside the tank, but it was all good at the pump. I was told the electrical connections on the fuel pump could be the problem and the shops go thru and epoxy the wires.

Now should I look for a ground ecu problem? I only hear a hum when the key is turned on, not anything else. On my ST3 I turn the key and I hear a hum plus gurgling for a few seconds and then the bike fires to start. That is maybe why I think it may be a fuel pump. But I have not service manual to go deeper into the troubleshooting.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read another post and this maybe happening...

My bike that is running fine, a 2004 ST3, I turn the key on and I hear the fuel pump prime and whirl, hit starter button and all is good. On my 2007 S4RS Monster, key on just a hum. Can I assume that the fuel pump is bad because of no prime or whirling noise? Is it that easy?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
If you are sure the pump is not priming, it may be the black wire that runs thru the potting compound at the fuel pump flange is broken or intermittent. It is a known problem. Had the same happen to my 08 S2R1000. I ended up replacing the whole flange/pump assembly with a used unit from Ebay. Now California Cycleworks has a kit available to fix the wiring where it passes thru the flange. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard that is what to look at next. The local Duc dealer said the going prices to fix the wires with marine epoxy at the tune of $300. How did you check to see if the wire was bad?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I had the flange assy on the bench and put 12v directly to the fuel pump to confirm it worked. Then I checked continuity of the 4 wires that pass thru the flange. I could wiggle the black wire and it would be intermittent (there is a write up on this on the Ducati Monster Forum)...so I kinda knew where to start. Someone there had tried to replace the black wire and reseal with epoxy, but it ended up leaking. Then Chris at Ca. Cycleworks came up with a kit to replace the harness, which seems to have solved the problem. I know the flange is a different shape on the S4R, but from what I understand there were problems with this on all the 07 and 08 Monsters from the factory, and some haven't had a problem. The kit is around $50.00 from Ca. Cycleworks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I'll do the bench test and see what is going on. I guess it real obvious if the pump works or doesn't...
I sent Ca Cycle Works a email and they said the kit is not ready until later this week. Cost will be online at that time too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the flange assy on the bench and put 12v directly to the fuel pump to confirm it worked. Then I checked continuity of the 4 wires that pass thru the flange. I could wiggle the black wire and it would be intermittent (there is a write up on this on the Ducati Monster Forum)...so I kinda knew where to start. Someone there had tried to replace the black wire and reseal with epoxy, but it ended up leaking. Then Chris at Ca. Cycleworks came up with a kit to replace the harness, which seems to have solved the problem. I know the flange is a different shape on the S4R, but from what I understand there were problems with this on all the 07 and 08 Monsters from the factory, and some haven't had a problem. The kit is around $50.00 from Ca. Cycleworks.
I can't find the harness kit on ca-cycleworks website, nor does searching for harness show any worthwhile results. Link?

That's the exact same problem I had on my wife's 695. Luckily Desmoto in San Francisco sold me the harness for $25. They had spares from their race bikes.

Ducati doesn't sell the fuel pump assembly parts separately. They want $1,000 for it! :eek: I bought a spare fuel pump from ca-cycleworks just in case.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I looked today as well and couldn't find it....It was on there a few weeks ago with a price...and a guy on DMF has a thread on installing the kit...(search Fuel Flange on DMF)....so maybe the kit needed some tweeking before Ca. Cycleworks lists it again. MAZduc said by the end of the week?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was not able to find any problems with my fuel pump flange assembly. So I went to my local Duc shop and the showed it to the head wrench the flange assembly. He said "I bet you $10 I find a split or crack somewhere".
I bet him and he found the split on the seam of the plastic inline filter.
I guess 5 years is too long for a original filter to last. There was black stuff in the paper of the filter and black stuff pored out of the filter. I am glad the bike runs and does not leak gas anymore. I am very happy now, it was a easy fix.
Tomorrow to the shop to learn how to adjust the chain. My ST 3 is easy, the monster looks hard to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You'll be surprised how easy chain adjustment is: loosen two bolts on top of swingarm hub clamp, use spanner on eccentric and turn hub until tension is set. Simples! :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the chain thing was super easy once a tool was found. Now I will be dialing in the ride height and the suspension and life will be good.
Thanks for everyone's help on this.
I guess it was some what of a strange thing about the filter actually splitting at the seam normally it is a hose that splits.
Lesson learned, look at the simple things first. If it has a plastic in tank filter that has not been serviced for years, change it when you have a tank replacement. Even if you do not have a tank change the filter's plastic will be brittle and you most lilkly will be towing your bike to have it fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Damn. I should have replaced the plastic fuel filter when I had the pump assembly out. Well now I know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts