Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what non stock fuel filter I can use in my S4RS , brand and part number ? Hopefully something like NAPA that I can buy locally, no Ducati dealer around.

·
Registered
853 Posts
NAPA Gold 3032 will fit, but consider this:

The concern is with abrasive wear of the fuel injector's moving components and damage to the injector valve seats by particles in the fuel (i.e., not plugging of the injector nozzle). Fuel injector nozzle orifice sizes are 50–100 microns.

Knecht/Mahle KL 145 is the Ducati OEM filter. Filtration efficiency: 10 micron particles.

Wix 33032 NAPA Gold 3032. Filtration efficiency: 20 micron particles

So, the Ducati fuel filter removes particles twice as small as the NAPA 3032.

Also, a comparison of the size of the external casings indicates that the OEM filter contains more filter medium so it can also hold more contaminants before needing replacement (to avoid excessive fuel pump electrical power requirements). Consequently, the smaller filter catches fewer particles but may need to be changed more often than the Ducati maintenance schedule — makes price comparisons with the OEM filter uneven.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think the Mahle KL 145 will fit, it's too big/thick, I got the KL 97 (OF) for about 10$. The old part was also KL 97.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn’t consider the micron rating, so thanks for bringing that up. I bought a WIX but there is no rating on the box. I would prefer the kl97 if I can locate one in time. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

I use the NAPA Gold 3032, replace it when you do the belts :) / 2 yrs. interval
No issues so far

My 2cents
Pete

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s what I ended up with. A larger filter body than the kl97 will fit easily enough. My biggest issue is finding suitable clamps for the fuel line. No one seems to have any small enough.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
That’s what I ended up with. A larger filter body than the kl97 will fit easily enough. My biggest issue is finding suitable clamps for the fuel line. No one seems to have any small enough.
An Oetiker's clamp kit is a convenient thing to have.

Next filter change, I am changing to a Summit Racing billet unit with a 10 micron element. I use one on one of my track days cars. Very high flow. Then I don't have to mess with the hose clamps at all. For the purist, a few ounces of aluminum may be a turn off. Designed for AN fittings so takes a little lathe work to avoid adapters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts